Hippie's New Uke Build

Fantastic choices Jon.
I have always loved stringed instruments for the way you can make music with them, but I also love them because they are made of WOOD.
Your uke will capture a dwindling resource in a personal vehicle for spreading love through music.
Take it and fly mate....
(....and stick your nose in the soundhole often to smell that magic Huon pine)
Oh yea, nothing like that smell eh mate. there is a stall in Salamanca place overloaded with hand made huon pine ornaments, plates, bowls and the like and it's always the first thing I do. Thanks Karl.

Wow, that's gonna be an awesome uke. Tenor, right? Will there be pics when it's done?

Hello everyone. Jon pointed me to this thread and suggested I add to it if I could.

The instrument in question came about after Jon saw a Baritone I recently completed in Australian Blackwood and Huon Pine with Indian Rosewood trim.

He asked me if I could do something similar in a soprano with a couple of custom considerations that I agreed to do for him as he's been a great supporter of my work. It will be 14 frets to the body and 16 in total. You've seen some of the parts. The fret board is also finished except for glueing to the completed instrument, and then dressing frets. The neck is partially completed to the point where it's able to be attached to the soundboard.

Today the soundboard was glued onto the neck first thing, while I then bent the sides. Glued them to the tail block and then after a few hours of dry time I attached them to the neck/soundboard assembly. After another hour of dry time I've installed the linings between the soundboard and sides. This is where it stops for the day and allowed to dry overnight.

linnings install.jpg

Heh.

Saw the title of the thread, Jon, and thought YOU were doing the build. I was thinking, "Wow! Jon is really branching out! Mayhap a new career for him!" Then I started reading.

Heh.

Saw the title of the thread, Jon, and thought YOU were doing the build. I was thinking, "Wow! Jon is really branching out! Mayhap a new career for him!" Then I started reading.

Congrats on the build, btw. Allen makes some of the most beautiful ukes I've seen.

Hey wayward, sorry brus but the woods aren't right. darn close though.

just to stick my beak in re a possible BR purchase for you...Allen recently completed several spec ukes and made an amazing discover in the process. From all I hear, the monterey cypress he used as top and side woods for the teno were as good a choice as he's ever made. The tone is astounding and sustain for days. he is totally rapt with it. The good news from your angle is that, although the concert sold virtually the same day, her tenor sister is still available. It loks gorgoues and sounds as good.

Not wanting to act as an enabler exactly, but I truly hope Allen's work begins to get the worldwide appreciateion it so richly deserves. i think it's a matter of when, not if.

http://www.brguitars.com/gallery/tenor/cypress_tenor/

Well, I just put the order in for the Brazilian mahogany concert. I've been hemming and hawing over tenors so long, I think they are not for me. Now to see which of my concerts will be low G!

I love the photos of Jon's uke in progress. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

exciting to get a new uke! I always thought Allen only made 12 frets to the body so I'm glad to see that he agreed to your 14 frets request.

Blackwood back and sides and hoop pine top absolutely wonderful Jon I am curious to hear the sound of the hoop I know a cellist with a huon pine cello and it sounds amazing.

Congrats on the build, btw. Allen makes some of the most beautiful ukes I've seen.
Thanks Scott. I agree mate. Theyare consistently beautifuland the several I've been fortunate enough to play in the past all had gorgeous tones and great sustain.
Great choice of timbers :D. Little brother to my bari.
Haha. Indeed brother, I thought you'd agree!
exciting to get a new uke! I always thought Allen only made 12 frets to the body so I'm glad to see that he agreed to your 14 frets request.
Thankyou Dan. Allen is the bees knees as far as I'm concerned.

Looking good Jon, glad to see you buying Australian mate. We have some mighty fine builders in this country and Allen is definitely one of our best.
Thankyou Cam. Yes I agree mate. Interestingly enough I recently discovered we have a class builder right here in Tasmania who also has started building ukuleles. His name is Paul Mineur. Have you heard of him by any chance? I am thinking one day to talk with him about an instrument sometime in the future.
Blackwood back and sides and hoop pine top absolutely wonderful Jon I am curious to hear the sound of the hoop I know a cellist with a huon pine cello and it sounds amazing.
So much looking forward to it Trev. Thanks for the comment mate.

Hello everyone. Jon pointed me to this thread and suggested I add to it if I could.

The instrument in question came about after Jon saw a Baritone I recently completed in Australian Blackwood and Huon Pine with Indian Rosewood trim.

He asked me if I could do something similar in a soprano with a couple of custom considerations that I agreed to do for him as he's been a great supporter of my work. It will be 14 frets to the body and 16 in total. You've seen some of the parts. The fret board is also finished except for glueing to the completed instrument, and then dressing frets. The neck is partially completed to the point where it's able to be attached to the soundboard.

Today the soundboard was glued onto the neck first thing, while I then bent the sides. Glued them to the tail block and then after a few hours of dry time I attached them to the neck/soundboard assembly. After another hour of dry time I've installed the linings between the soundboard and sides. This is where it stops for the day and allowed to dry overnight.

View attachment 80374
Thanks for contributing to the thread Allen. Seems there are a few people also interested to see the development of this build. Thanks heaps for the further update mate.

"Thankyou Cam. Yes I agree mate. Interestingly enough I recently discovered we have a class builder right here in Tasmania who also has started building ukuleles. His name is Paul Mineur. Have you heard of him by any chance? I am thinking one day to talk with him about an instrument sometime in the future."

Hi Jon, I haven't heard of Paul before but I just checked his website, very impressive!

might it be huon pine and blackwood!

Rats! I picked it straight away, but I only just saw this thread! As a fellow Tasweigan, it was an easy guess for me.

There's a guy in Tasmania who makes gorgeous looking & sounding cellos out of Tasmanian wood, including huon pine and they are lovely.

Jon & I 'almost' met at Paul Mineur's workshop (I was coming out as he was going in). Paul does lovely inlay work, really pretty stuff. I haven't heard or played any of his ukes, but they look ovely and he's really interesting to talk to.

Really excited for you Jon, no wonder you have been reducing your collection recently. The Barron River ukes are very tempting.

Hi Allen,

Thanks for weighing in! Your post led me to your website and to photos of the beautiful Huon Pine and Australian Blackwood baritone ukulele that led to this build for Jon. Is there a sound sample of that baritone ukulele anywhere? I love baritone ukuleles and I'm very curious to know what yours sound like.

Thanks in advance, and have fun with this build. Jon is great people and very talented, and he's going to make what I'm sure is going to be a beautiful ukulele absolutely sing.

No one is more worthy. Always loved your passion for unique custom builders Jon. Keep supporting the independents. We love your soulful music and the heart you give to the community of talented luthiers.

Top Bottom