Free Technique and Theory Lessons

AndrewHardel

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have launched a new series on my site: Rock Class 101, called Technique & Theory 101.

So far we have lessons on:

Technique 101

Getting Started: Take your first 25 minute lesson on guitar
How to fingerpick on the ukulele
How to add a backbeat (slap) to your rhythm playing
How to do hammer-ons & pull-offs
How to do right hand tapping
How to Travis pick

Theory 101

How to play a C major scale on the ukulele
How to write arrangements and songs on the ukulele
Gain a complete understanding of music theory and how it is applied to guitar
How to read tabs, chord graphs, and chart symbols (Coming Soon!)
How to practice the correct way to get results

I'll update this thread as I continue to add new lessons! You will need to sign up for Basic Membership (free) to gain access to the tabs that accompany the lessons.

Hope you enjoy the lessons and let me know if you have an idea for a lesson I can add!

Cheers,

Andrew
http://RockClass101.com

Last edited:
Are you catering for low-g players - or just for "standard" tuning.

cheers, Shawn

Hey Shawn,

The majority of the arrangements on the site are for high G tuning. A few have altered tunings, such as: The Irish Washerwoman. This doesn't mean that a low G wouldn't work though. It should sound fine in most cases. :D

Plus one on the CAGED Method, I use it all the time. I think it's better known in Guitar circles than it is among Uke players. But, it works just as well for both. Interestingly, I was taking part in a UU+ session on movable chords and keys and sent Aldrine a question about the CAGED Method. He responded that he'd never heard of it. So, I emailed him some info on it. I only bring this up to illustrate how relatively unknown it is. Thanks for putting it front of us on your website, and I'm sure it's going to help a lot of players out there.

Plus one on the CAGED Method, I use it all the time. I think it's better known in Guitar circles than it is among Uke players. But, it works just as well for both. Interestingly, I was taking part in a UU+ session on movable chords and keys and sent Aldrine a question about the CAGED Method. He responded that he'd never heard of it. So, I emailed him some info on it. I only bring this up to illustrate how relatively unknown it is. Thanks for putting it front of us on your website, and I'm sure it's going to help a lot of players out there.

My pleasure! It's important to realize that the ukulele has the same 4 strings as the guitar (strings 1-4), but up a fourth. In other words, if you put a capo on the fifth fret of a guitar, you have a uke. The only other difference is that the fourth string is an octave higher on a uke. So, we can borrow a lot of useful guitar tricks and apply them to the uke, as in CAGED. The theory and application are the same.

New lesson up! Right Hand Fingerpicking Technique

In this lesson, we will be learning two approaches for right hand fingerpicking. The first approach utilizes a four finger picking technique, while the second approach simplifies it to three fingers.

New Lesson! This written article features a 'Live Lessons' video too! Proper Left Hand Form

In our second episode of 'Live Lessons', we will be discussing proper left hand form when forming chord shapes and playing single notes.

Thanks Andrew! No matter how well I know a song, I go brain dead in front of a mic....

New Lesson! Here is an article I wrote this week to help you increase the reach (or stretch) of your left hand. There are 3 exercises in this article and I included guidelines for practicing. Hope you find it helpful :)

Last edited:
I'm excited to launch a new series today: Concept Lessons. This series provides lessons with a focus on fingerpicking, soloing, and strumming that will help you in real-life experiences, such as jamming with other musicians. In our first lesson, you will learn a solo in G Major that works over fast and slow chord progressions.

New Concept Lesson! In this lesson, we will learn how to play higher voiced chord harmonies and a melodic solo over one of the most popular chord progressions in C Major. This lesson is intended to help you break away from playing the basic chord shapes while also helping you learn how to incorporate melody into your rhythm playing.

New Live Lesson! All about Practicing! Ideas for writing a practice guide and how to apply the 3 steps (repetition, reinforcement, evaluation) for successful practice when learning songs! Read the complete article!

I am beyond excited to introduce courses to Rock Class 101! Our first course will be making our eBook and video lessons on How to Write a Song on the Ukulele: A Beginner’s Guide to Chord Melody available to all premium members! There is so much great content in this course! If you’ve ever wanted to write your own chord melodies and/or learn the theory behind how to arrange your favorite songs, then this is a must read!

This course includes:
1) 10 Page PDF eBook: Analyses our demo song, 'DayDreaming', in detail and explains how the Harmony, Melody, and Rhythm were written.
2) Full Tab / Notation of 'DayDreaming'.
3) Lead Sheet: Tab / Notation that shows the Melody separate form the Chords.
4) Video Performance and Lesson of 'DayDreaming': Learn how to play the song note for note.

View this course: Ukulele Songwriting Course

Top Bottom