Season 174 - Silly Love Songs

Harry122

Solid Citizen
UU VIP
Reaction score

This week, on June 18th, is Paul McCartney’s 73rd birthday! Let’s give him a Seasonista birthday gift and celebrate this amazing artist.

Paul McCartney is inarguably one of the most important songwriters in history. His portfolio includes rock, pop, electronica, country, Dixieland and much more.

But, he has a special place in his heart for what he calls “Silly Love Songs.” “Silly” might not be the best word, though. Paul’s silly love songs are songs that can be considered “soppy” or “romantic.” But they are the kind of songs that get into your mind, into your soul, and into your repertoire.

For this Season of the Ukulele, let’s do some love songs, whether written by Paul McCartney, someone else, or yourself!

The winners will be chosen at random, based on how many points you accrue. Points will be assigned as follows:

• Every submission will receive 2 points.

• If your song was written by Paul McCartney, you will receive an additional point. That goes for songs that Paul collaborated on, with artists such as John Lennon or Elvis Costello.

• Paul is of course a songwriter, so let’s celebrate songwriters too! If you wrote the song yourself, you will receive an additional point.

• If the song is critical of, or hurtful to, Paul McCartney, you will lose one point. It’s his birthday, darn it!

• The Thornton Rule is very much in effect, but if I do not think that your submission is a silly, romantic, soppy or otherwise not a great fit for this Season, I may quietly deduct one point.

There is no limit on how many songs you may enter.

After the week is over, I’ll add up all the points you’ve accumulated, put them through a random number generator, and pick the winners.

Also no extraneous videos! If it’s not a submission, I don’t want to see them in this thread! Honestly, I find it frustrating when looking through entries, to click on a video and watch a minute of it before realizing it isn’t an entry at all! Indulge me, it’s my week! So, if you want us to look at an old video you did, or show us an old Beatles clip, or whatever, put it on the Island. If it shows up on this thread, you will lose 50,000 points. That’s right. I said 50,000. Bwaa ha ha ha!

All other standard rules apply. Multitracking is fine, collaborations are fine. Make sure the uke is front and center. All songs must be newly-performed for this Season. The contest starts midnight Sunday Hawaii time and runs eight days.

Don’t let the word “silly” make you believe I’m looking for funny songs or novelty songs. I’m not. I’m sure that there will be questions regarding what a “silly love song” is. Very briefly, it’s a romantic, or even overly-romantic song. Some beautiful Paul McCartney examples include:
Warm and Beautiful
Loveliest Thing
Get On The Right Thing
One More Kiss
So Bad
Baby’s Request
I Owe It All To You
Waterfalls
The world is full of lovely love songs NOT written by McCartney as well, including:
So In Love – Cole Porter
Liza – the Gershwins
Count On Me – Bruno Mars
You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling – Mann & Weil
Always On My Mind – Willie Nelson
I Just Called To Say I Love You – Stevie Wonder
And many, many thousands more.

This week, I’d like you to fill the world with silly love songs.

The most important word in this week’s theme is not “silly.” It’s “Love.” I want love songs, plain and simple.

And what’s wrong with that?

Playlist

Last edited:
This sounds like a fun week

but Im very tempted by the only chance Ill ever have to loose 50,000 points :biglaugh:

Oh, this is going to be fun!!!!

That's a really sweet introductory video Randy. Thankyou for hosting this week brother. Given the random number generator method of prize awarding, I am hopeful I may win with a score of minus 250,000. Cheers mate. :)

Plain Simple Love Songs. Hmmmn. This should prove interesting. There are soooo many ways to interpret what makes a love song.

Plain Simple Love Songs. Hmmmn. This should prove interesting. There are soooo many ways to interpret what makes a love song.

Good point brother. Every song that's ever been written is love song one way or another. :)

Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs

What's wrong with that I'd like to know

Sounds like a cue for a song ;-)

Hi Harry! What a lovely theme - Paul McCartney was my idol for years, in my teens - I had his pictures floor to ceiling in my room! I hope to get an entry in before I disappear to yet another UK uke-fest - the UFGB in Cheltenham.... to see James Hill and Herb Ohta! Woohoooooo!!! And I do so love silly love songs. Have a great week, my friend - and all the rest of you lovely Seasonistas!

An original song as my first entry for the week. Randy, I have a funny feeling this season may end up with the record for most ever entries. I know myself I have a lot of silly love songs I've never played on the uke and am also feeling inspired to write more. This theme is a positive shot in the arm for me I am very happy to say. Have a great week everybody. This song is called "Lonesome And Then Some". x

Here's another great love song that I don't hear played very often. I wish I had someone to sing the harmony on it...

Written by C. Carson Parks and originally recorded in 1966 by Parks and his wife Gaile Foote. The most successful and best-known version of the song was issued as a single by Nancy Sinatra and Frank Sinatra.

Top Bottom