NUD--Barron River Mahogany Concert

wayfarer75

Reaction score
Yesterday was the real NUD, but you know, too busy playing... no pics until today.

I ordered this last Monday from Allen McFarlen. It arrived much sooner than I had expected. The box didn't look so good, but fortunately the case did its job and the uke was protected well. Kinda disheartening to see a package so smooshed with big "FRAGILE" labels all over it.

Just a little background: I've been posting all over UU about getting a LoPrinzi tenor. So why did I end up with a Barron River concert? Well, I've been hemming and hawing internally about wanting a tenor scale instrument; I don't have big hands, so this would be an experiment to see if I can hack it. LoPrinzi ukes are not expensive but very nicely made. So I would get a great uke that wouldn't cost me much were I to resell it. But then... I looked at the Barron River website. Again. I've looked at it many times, having been a fan of the brand for a long time. Long story short, I checked the exchange rate, and with the Australian dollar not doing so hot, I basically got this fabulous uke on sale.

I hope other non-Aussie uke players check out Allen's site site. There are some awesome-looking ukes for sale now. Here is mine in his gallery (much better photos): http://www.brguitars.com/gallery/concert/mahogany_concert/

You can also hear Hippie Dribble give us a sound sample here: https://youtu.be/B_qKlAb9Kjs I blame him and his custom build thread for making me check out how much a BR would cost me.

First impressions? Yes the uke is gorgeous, a very tasteful amount of bling and the Art Deco style really floats my boat. I especially love the fret markers. Most importantly, this uke sounds great. It's hard to describe; it sounds darker than my Kelii koa concert. It has plenty of volume, but it's not in your face with it. Just a nice sweet sound, plenty of sustain. It's currently strung high G, and the Kelii is low G. I have an extra Fremont Soloist laying around, and after a few weeks there's going to be a low G throwdown to see which concert gets which tuning.

Photos! (Can't have a NUD post without them.)

attachment.php

Rosette is paua and spalted mango
attachment.php

It even looks great from the back!
attachment.php

Family photo!
attachment.php

L-R, in order of acquisition: Kala KA-S, Kelii Gold Series concert, Kamaka pineapple, and the Barron River.

Album here:http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/album.php?albumid=2321

Absolutely beautiful! Congrats.
Love seeing pictures comparing the different sizes and brands and, of course, Jon's playing always shows off the best of the best possible sound :).
Has a real nice shape.......something a little different which makes it all the more special.

Congratulations again, beautiful pictures of a beautiful uke. Allan really has an artistic flair and a great eye for style. Just love the looks and the sound is pure mahogany which equals awesome.

Beauty! Hope the two of you make lots of wonderful music together.

Enjoy

Restrained elegance is always classy. As a resident of the antipodes I should really try and visit Allen when I am next in Queensland (approx 2500 miles away from me in Perth) visiting family as I would love to try out one of his tenors (that Monterey Cyprus one he has for sale right now on his website is beautiful). Really gorgeous looking and sounding instrument. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Yes, that's my Barron River's twin brother. I never tire of playing mine - hope yours is the same for you.

I really like the slightly different shape of the body. It's beautiful and has that "lovingly crafted by hand" look. Just a gorgeous instrument that really stands out without needing a lot of bling to turn heads.

Damned handsome looking instrument. Congrats. Seeing some exceptional looking ukes coming out of Barron River.

Look at what you find when you troll through this section of the forum. I must admit I rarely venture in here. Far too many other places on the web that I need to focus my online time.

I appreciate everyones comments on my instruments. Both clients and admirers.

If anyone gets the opportunity to visit Cairns, I'm always open to a workshop visit.

Look at what you find when you troll through this section of the forum. I must admit I rarely venture in here. Far too many other places on the web that I need to focus my online time.

I appreciate everyones comments on my instruments. Both clients and admirers.

If anyone gets the opportunity to visit Cairns, I'm always open to a workshop visit.

It's a great instrument, thank you for building it! (I also like the fact that your forum avatar is the rosette on this uke.) It would be interesting to visit your workshop; I wish the airfare to Australia weren't so high.

I also appreciate everyone's comments; though of course, all I did was send Allen some money! I hope to try to be a better player, and I think my next goal is to get brave enough to post some videos or sound samples; I'm entirely too camera-shy and critical of my playing.

Aloha Laura,
Congratulations on the new BRMC, happy strummings
Nice ukulele ohana too :shaka::shaka:

I agree with Mivo. The small upper bout makes it different, but still pretty conventional. It's lovely. I think Barron River ukuleles are made with the greatest artistry. Congratulations. to you.

I really like that partial rosette. It is so different. I think that's the first time I have seen that. Congrats.

Such a gorgeous uke Laura. So pleased you went for a Barron River. Classy and elegant instruments with the sweetest tones. Congratulations!

Top Bottom