I'm so torn! New p'ups or no new p'ups?

bubbly193

Reaction score
Okay, I replaced the p'ups on my Strat with tex-mex p'ups because I felt they are twangy, but can be overdriven (see my signature about that), which works well with songs like "La Bamba". The thing is, I do want more bite in the neck position, but as I use the twangy neck for fifties rock, I want to keep the twang and " Stratocaster Sparkle" of the tex-mex P'ups. Does anyone know of a p'up that has the twang and Sparkle I'm looking for, but a bite that could play AC/DC style heavy classic rock? Or will I have to suck it up and play La Bamba in the middle position?

I should clarify, tex-mex have a strong "bite" but not the heavy rock crunchy kind, there needs to be more words to describe sounds...

Just came across this while browsing the guitar forum.

The Tex Mex set are a pretty cheap set of pickups to be honest (currently about £ 60 for a set of 3).

If you're wanting to play rock, you're going to have to put something with a hefty output in the bridge, not the neck. Something like a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails perhaps. You're not going to get the harmonics and attack for rock from a neck pickup, however powerful.

Top Bottom