Season 175: It's All About The Boats

Dougf

Reaction score

- Any song that mentions any kind of watercraft.

- No limit on songs, just don’t go overboard. :)

- Post no videos before Sunday morning, Hawaii time.

- The prize is my homemade ukulele #20, with old-growth redwood soundboard, incense cedar neck, everything else manzanita.

- Some form of random drawing for the winners.

Here’s a wikipedia list of kinds of boats to help jog your creative juices:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_boat_types

Playlist is here

Last edited:
I guessed it! Fun theme ... awesome prize ... again! - you are amazing to do this for us!

Do we have to make our videos in boats like you did? :)

- No limit on songs, just don’t go overboard. :)
:biglaugh: :worship:

Do we have to make our videos in boats like you did?
gosh i hope not

i'll be all at sea if we do

:rolleyes:

doug i know i should be able to tell at a glance, with my super duper ukelele vision and all, even without my reading glasses.................. but is that lovely uke a concert or tenor?

What a great theme! Can't believe it hasn't been done yet. The problem here is that there are SO MANY choices.......

Looking forward to seeing who the lucky winner is. I would like to say Im hopeful but I don't want to get my hopes up ;)

Great theme Doug. It will another fun week of song!

Doug, you are an inspiration!

Boats Eh? I don't know if I know any boat songs. I'll try not to get carried Away. :p

Boats Eh? I don't know if I know any boat songs. I'll try not to get carried Away. :p

Surely you do, Tommy. You're something of a folkie! How about a shanty?

All true paoriginal

The Moth class is an international class that has world championships.
It is unusual in that there were no limits on the hull configuation apart from length (and maybe beam) now they are crazy hydrofoil things that look like they are flying.
The one we built was a double chine design.
See the new design HERE.

Last edited:
175/1

I had some time this morning so I thought I get in early.

A Shanty. My grandparents had records of shanties on 78s and I used to love playing them when I visited them. This shanty was among them and was one of my favourites.

I always wanted my grandparents' old shanty records. Unfortunately, after my grandfather died, my grandmother just cleared the house as she moved in with my parents.

Great theme, awesome prize, Doug!

I may take my first dip (ahem) into multitracking.

Getting in quickly this week, before I head off to the Glastonbury Festival...:)

Sinead Lohan released a couple of albums in the 1990s, gentle songs, beautiful vocals. Then she left it all to raise her family. I hope she comes back one day. This is one which has been stuck in my head for 20 years...

For Season of the Ukulele 175, it’s “all about the Boats”. Here’s one of my favorites. I like to play this for my 94 year old uncle, who was a member of the Asiatic fleet (look that one up Tommy) in China in the late thirties and early forties. Needless to say, my uncle is a very remarkable man. I played this at the end of a rather long day, after waking up camping in central Oregon, and driving (a long way) home. I might have had a tankard or two of grog as well, which may account for the Foghorn Leghorn phrasing toward the end there, and also the misbegotten descending major scale coda which turned mixolydian, perhaps in honor of the drunken sailor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom