Lo G VS hi g

Nickie

Reaction score
This is the best explanation I've ever heard about the difference:

I hadn't seen this video before, but I like it. Also agree with everything Kimo says. I only play low G, not that I'm opposed to reentrant, I just prefer the lower sound. I usually sing when I play, but even then, often use the low G for melody or pickup notes. Even some bass/chord strumming, not as much as with guitar, but it's definitely there for me. I like when Kimo says the harmony with low G "captures the essence of the sound." I find that to be true and especially helpful for transitional notes in chord progressions. Thanks for posting this Nickie!

I think it depends on what you want to play

I started low g because I came from guitar and high g drove me crazy.
But the more I played other people's music, the more I was forced to play high G to play the tab.
After a while you get used to it and some things are actually easier to play in high G than low G, and vice versa.

I think that's why alot of people just have 2, one set low, and one set high.

But to be honest, the more I play other people's tabs, the more I find myself just favoring high G.
There's just alot more music written in high G, and the harmonics are different. High G isn't as broad, but it's got a sparkle in the high end that low G doesnt.

I stick to high G exclusively, because to me the re-entrant tuning is a core aspect of the ukulele. I feel that linear tuning moves a bit away from that originality, toward being more like a guitar. But I do enjoy the sound of low G as well, so this is just a matter of preference.

Kimo's videos are wonderful. I have some music that I prefer on low G and some music that I prefer on high G. I like them both.

Last edited:
While I tend to favor low-G, I prefer "and" to "vs."—I haven't been shipwrecked and could only choose one uke, so I happily play both, and baris besides.

:agree:

I like both, use both.

For my next trick, I'll restring my tinny new Ohana soprano to GcEA, yes, low-G and high-C, to retain the re-entrant flavor so it remains an 'ukulele rather than a small guitar-oid. Has anyone here tried that setup? What are your reactions? Note: I've restrung another soprano in fifths so it's now less 'uke and more mando. I like it.

Last edited:
For my next trick, I'll restring my tinny new Ohana soprano to GcEA, yes, low-G and high-C, to retain the re-entrant flavor so it remains an 'ukulele rather than a small guitar-oid. Has anyone here tried that setup? What are your reactions? Note: I've restrung another soprano in fifths so it's now less 'uke and more mando. I like it.

My sopranos are all C4-G3-D4-A4. I prefer fifths, but for me the sopranos just can't take a C3 (too much bass), and an E5 (unless it's 20-lb monofilament line) always seems to snap on me and sounds a bit screechy).

Everybody gets something different from videos like what the OP posted. To me it shows that instruments are meant to be versatile; that musicians should not treat an instrument in a style, tuning or genre restrictive manner; and that being creative with an instrument is not a bad thing. Thanks, Nickie, for the posting!

My sopranos are all C4-G3-D4-A4. I prefer fifths, but for me the sopranos just can't take a C3 (too much bass), and an E5 (unless it's 20-lb monofilament line) always seems to snap on me and sounds a bit screechy).
Hmmm, re-entrant mando tuning. Sounds like another challenge. ;) I bought the Aquila 30U nylgut soprano fifths set. My micrometer measures them as 28 wound (G3), 33 (D4), 22 (A4), and 15 (E5). They're still stretching and I don't know how long that 15-gauge will last! (Finger pads only for picking, yes.) But re-entrant mando tuning, hmmm...

Everybody gets something different from videos like what the OP posted. To me it shows that instruments are meant to be versatile; that musicians should not treat an instrument in a style, tuning or genre restrictive manner; and that being creative with an instrument is not a bad thing.
There are trade-offs. Standard tuning allows / pushes one to develop virtuosity within that framework. Variant tunings provide a wider range of exploration, and effectively transform the instrument, as a 5ths-uke is now Something Else. IMHO low-G transforms the 'uke into a little guitar. I get the point that low-G gives a much wider tonal range. I also get the points that high-G gives the traditional 'uke sound and is most familiar with many 'uke-ists. And yes, it's a matter of personal preference. But it needn't be either-or, if one has more than one axe. I'm about to string a concert in low-G; my next tenor may be strung in low-G; I'll try not to approach them as mini-guitars.

Hmmm, re-entrant mando tuning. Sounds like another challenge. ;) I bought the Aquila 30U nylgut soprano fifths set. My micrometer measures them as 28 wound (G3), 33 (D4), 22 (A4), and 15 (E5). They're still stretching and I don't know how long that 15-gauge will last! (Finger pads only for picking, yes.) But re-entrant mando tuning, hmmm...

That 15-gauge is what got me to experiment with monofilament fishing line. 20-pound test handles the E5 and won't snap (the tension is higher, though). The "reentrant C" is handy because any low-G GCEA string set can be used for it (the G & C reversed, the E detuned to D).

Back to Low-G, restrung my 6-string to C3-G3-G4-D4-A4-A3. Having the high-low G combined has a nice bite to it.

Last edited:
That 15-gauge is what got me to experiment with monofilament fishing line. 20-pound test handles the E5 and won't snap (the tension is higher, though). The "reentrant C" is handy because any low-G GCEA string set can be used for it (the G & C reversed, the E detuned to D).

Back to Low-G, restrung my 6-string to C3-G3-G4-D4-A4-A3. Having the high-low G combined has a nice bite to it.
Now I'm muddled. I will *have* to try that -- but which 'uke? The next one, probably. ;) Yes, it's time to focus my UAS even further. All my current 'ukes are dedicated to certain tunings, all except the bari, and I'm finding (with my new mandola) that I don't really like chording in 5ths on a fretboard that size. So I guess another concert is coming, and maybe a 6-string tenor, ay yi yi. [/me looks at over two dozen acoustic stringed instruments leaning and hanging on the opposite wall.] But where will I put them? Sounds like a First World Problem to me...

EDIT: I've reconsidered the 20-pond test thang. Looks like the least I can get is Seagaur 175 yards -- that's enough for over 300 strings! I'd drown in the stuff! Or else do a lot of experimentation. Yeah, because I don't fish. Of course, for the ultimate easy Re-entrant Fifths solution, just apply a Low-G set backwards!

High-g= clawhammer= badass....lol
Damn straight, and that's why my ancient banjo-uke stays in high-g. It doesn't have quite the ring of my 5-string, but it ain't bad. Hmmm, maybe I need another banjolele to string in re-entrant 5ths (discussed above) with a ringing bottom string. Yee-haw! Yeah, I could probably sneak a banjolele into the house.

Last edited:
Just picked up a Kala KA-T that sat in a closet for 2 years and is strung low g. My first experience with playing a low g tenor. Sure the strings are at least 2 years old and need to be replaced badly. But I am going to have to play a bit with new strings before I can say if I like low g better or at all. All of my other ukuleles are strung high g. High g is what brought me to the uke in the first place. Low g does have some nice additions to it, but is much more guitar like to me.

EDIT: I've reconsidered the 20-pond test thang. Looks like the least I can get is Seagaur 175 yards -- that's enough for over 300 strings! I'd drown in the stuff! Or else do a lot of experimentation. Yeah, because I don't fish.

Got mine at WallyWorld - 100 yard spool for $4. Any old brand will do. BTW 50-pound test works for G4/A4.

All my ukuleles are reentrant tuned but they're in a number of different tunings. I have sopranos in GCEA and ADF#B, a concert in FBbDG and tenors in DGBE.

Snip...
But to be honest, the more I play other people's tabs, the more I find myself just favoring high G.
There's just alot more music written in high G, and the harmonics are different. High G isn't as broad, but it's got a sparkle in the high end that low G doesnt.

Sparkle. I like that, and I agree. I always appreciate that quality in a reentrant uke. I guess I'm just not sparkly, myself. LOL

Sparkle. I like that, and I agree. I always appreciate that quality in a reentrant uke. I guess I'm just not sparkly, myself. LOL
Well, you can sprinkle yourself with this flashy powder sold at supermarkets in the baking section... But I digress. IMHO the basic difference is between low-G's greater tonal range and guitar-like approach vs high-G's sparkly re-entrant ukulele sound. And I've thought of the ultimate re-entrant tuning: a reversed fifths set. I've strung one soprano with the Aquila 30U set for GDAE. Flip that around and it becomes a high-to-low EADG. You want re-entrant? You got it!

Top Bottom