Lo G VS hi g

hi-g is great, its accessible and its the beginner tuning. Playing a lo-g like you would a hi-g gets your drone city.

For picking patterns I find myself wanting to sometimes have a low-g handy. Same for finger picking. It requires a different mindset and more skill to play tastefully.

For a strings newbie I would absolutely suggest hi-g first and to look picking up a low-g tuned one as someone shows interest in diversifying.

Which does remind me that I need to add a low-g back into the stable (tenor, wide nut) as I just can't get into playing my 20+" scale bari.

Absolutely nothing wrong with someone happy strumming and singing.

My Ohta-san is tuned low G and sounds wonderful. The rest are all high G and they sound great too. Have been playing my Ohta-san and low G almost exclusively but know I'll want to add high G some day. Don't want my other ukes to go unplayed and really do enjoy some of the high G pieces.

High g, high g, high g, high g, I'm a high g man. High g is :cool:.

...I've thought of the ultimate re-entrant tuning: a reversed fifths set. I've strung one soprano with the Aquila 30U set for GDAE. Flip that around and it becomes a high-to-low EADG.

Technically, that would actually be a linear tuning—they can go in either direction: low to high or high to low.

True, and easily fixed -- swap-out the low-G for a high-G. With or without the swap, the chord forms are the same as bass guitar but with quite different voicings. Maybe tweak the tuning to F-Bb-D-g to make it easy for 'uke players. On a similar note, 'uke strings could be flipped to give re-entrant fifths tuning as a-E-B-F#. Oh yeah, *that* will make me learn my mando chord forms!

What about 5 string ukes like the Ohanas? Do people who own these consider them the best of both worlds (low and hi G) or they a completely different animal?

What about 5 string ukes like the Ohanas? Do people who own these consider them the best of both worlds (low and hi G) or they a completely different animal?
I haven't tried one myself (and my household budget won't allow buying one right away) but this reviewer on Amazon says: As beautiful to play and hear as it is too see. The low-high G strings give this 5-string solid mahogany ukulele a really unique and versatile sound. I'll have an 8-string tenor coming in soon; I'll thin the top courses and see how it sounds as a 5-string. But I can imagine, based on many years of fat-course playing, that the gG course will give a rich, flowing sound.

I *do* have a Kala 6-string tuned G-Cc-E-Aa -- I had to flip the top course (from the factory-set aA, to Aa) in order to hear the high 'a' at all when fingerpicking. I also have a Martin tiple whose bottom gG course is rather swamped by the cCc-eEe-AA courses above it. Those, and my cuatro-menor strung GGG-CCC-EEE-AAA, have nice lush sounds but aren't particularly 'uke-like to my ear. They're more like miniature 12-string guitars.

Top Bottom