NUD Kamaka HF-3

soupking

Reaction score
Welp, like a fool, not long ago, I sold off all my tenors in favor of sopranos. I still love 'em, but I was jonesing for a tenor one night some months back and I pulled the trigger on yet another HF-3. I've owned some pretty nice stuff in the tenor mold, even an HF-3 previously, but for whatever reason Kamaka was again calling my name. So, I bought one, since I like depleting my life savings so much. I reached a point where I was on a mission to buy blinged out show pieces for no other reason than I found them delectable. When I first started, custom-ish tenor ukuleles were nowhere near the prices they are now. As such, I can't really afford them at this point. Alas, I bit the bullet and sadly pulled another HF-3 off the rack.

Obviously I'm being facetious, in that I know a Kamaka is a dream instrument to many. And… it's a dream instrument to me, after all. If I could go back I would've appreciated every unique ukulele I've ever owned. Perhaps someone can buy this one off of me in a few months when I foolishly convince myself I need something "better," as if there exists such a specimen… maybe there does, but for me, this HF-3 is more than I deserve as a player.

Hey congrats on the new baby! Life savings, what's that? The only thing I've saved all my life are memories and scars....
hmmm, maybe there's a song in there....

Nice Matt...our ukulele stories sound very similar! I too have had a HF-3 a time or two and they are fantastic. Coolkayaker1 posted an old Aldrine Uke Minutes video today in a reply...back when he was playing a Kamaka. It brought back some early ukulele memories. The tone he got from it is still one of my favorites.

Geez it sounds nice Matt.

And man, I can relate to what you're saying so much. Almost to the word, except I've never gone for bling, but I sure have destroyed my bank account over the years. And yeah, knowing what I/we do know, would have held on to a few more of the beauties I used to own...(3 or 4 Collings UC2's come to mind)...aaah, and so many others. Sad truth is, I don't think I'll ever be satisfied. I can't honestly think of a single uke I've sold over the years that I haven't really liked the sound or looks of. It's always been the thrill of the next buy and needing money for it...and I'm still licking my wounds to this day. Personal laments aside...

Tried and true. Clean sound. Class build. 100 years worth of history. Kamaka. Gold.

Enjoy her mate, or at least until the next one comes along.

:cheers:

Very nice! Hard to beat an HF-3, that's for sure. I also re-acquired a tenor (actually, two) after not having any for awhile. I love having different sizes on hand, even if most of my time is spent on one particular size.

Kamakas are awesome! I hope you never sell it.

Excellent. I have more or less the same uke and it's brilliant. Congratulations!

Congrats Matt!

Yes, I've sold off some ukes only to re-purchase similar ones from the same builder. My music/sound taste changes and comes around again. Suppose that is true for most folks. It's good to keep some nice variety around, like a well-stocked cupboard.

Wow - what a gorgeous uke... sounds like it's in good hands to me. Congratulations.

Really, having a Kamaka in one's uke quiver is essential. You made the right choice!

I like your style, Matt. If you ever come up to Boston I'll buy you a beer.

Top Bottom