Soundquality

wawakelvin

Reaction score
How much of a step up in tone do you get when upgrading from a $100 concert to a $200 concert. Something like plastic flea, or other laminate Uke?

I scored a used KoAhola concert for $100 its a tone monster and makes most of my other ukuleles sound a bit dull. I have a Tenor that was $17.50 IIRC before shipping that competes with the KoAhola for tone hell it might even have it beat. I also have a $100 soprano from the same builder as the tenor and its a quiet little thing that lives mostly in its case.

Tone is subjective, price doesn't suggest quality of tone so it is almost impossible to answer your question.

The Flea will have perfect intonation and be easy to play right out of the gate. It is possible your current ukulele wasn't setup and may benefit greatly from this and a string change. There are just too many unknowns.

I got a $100 concert with a very good setup. I think it's a nice instrument, but I just really don't like the sound of it. I don't know what it is. I've played other concerts and like their sound. It has good strings on it too.

Well you can change the tone quite a bit with a string change. I have over a dozen ukuleles and there are days they all sound like crap to me. Those are the days I focus on video games or other things.

~peace~

Lots of variables. With some ukes, you get a solid top for that extra hundred that generally is a a great upgrade and very noticeable improvement in tone.
The Kala KA-SCG is one example as well as other solid-topped models from Kala and from Ohana. If you can afford the extra money, and $200 is your budget, only look at solid topped models. $205 will get you an all solid Ohana.

$185 will get you a KPK all solid acacia concert that sounds like it costs hundreds more. (not exactly a lightweight though) Several extremely happy KPK concert owners here.
Good setup, great customer service from Pili Koko http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=66

If you aren't in a hurry, you may be able to snag a great used uke in our Marketplace in your price range. Perhaps a Mainland all solid mahogany concert, or ??????

Last edited:
I'll agree with PhilUSAFRet - lots of variables. I have a Mele mahogany concert that sounds great now, in a high humidity Minnesota summer. When I got it in March it did not sound so good, even after humidifying and changing strings (LW). Same strings, higher relative humidity, and it sounds great. Can't wait until winter comes ... when the Mele may be in case prison. Oddly a different Mele I played before buying mine sounded wonderful in the dry winter air.

Strings can make a huge difference, and what sounds good on one instrument can sound bad on another. Experimentation is not that expensive, just budget for a new set of strings a month until you find what you like best.

So back to your original question - how much better will a $200 ukulele sound compared to a $100 instrument. You will need to decide that for your self. Visit as many stores as you can, play as many ukuleles as you can, and see if $200 is the threshold for your kind of "good" sound, or if it's $300, or if it's $150. I played a $150 Snail that sounded great (ebony) a few weeks ago. If I was looking for a new uke I would have bought it. For a laminate it had a good resonance and it played in tune. My Kala Traveler ($200) has an interesting sound, though not purely a ukulele sound to my ear (more a cross with a mandolin) with less body resonance. And my all laminate RipTide is pretty dead sounding compared to the rest, but there are no seasonal changes to the sound.

I hope these data points help. In the end it's your ear that will make the decision. Good luck!

Top Bottom