Song Help Request James Hill Travelin' On

Icelander53

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DtiBs5AcwM

I'm a beginner and only do strum and chord. I'm dying to play this song. Can you please help me out with the chords. This is difficult because I can find no printed lyrics. But if you maybe just throw out the chords I can work them in to the song by trial and error. I'm real good at the error part. :D

Here's the Lyrics. Can you put in some chords?

I'm all alone, all alone again

Yet there aint no place in this world

that aint a place of men.

But that don't mean a blessed thing

And yet this heart of mine can't help itself

but start to sing.

(chorus) One of these days, I'll be travelin on

Won't be neither here nor there, oh no

I'll just be gone.

This is the first verse and chorus.

This is a very spiritual song. He has a very Buddhist attitude. Reminds me of John Lennon....

Sounds like i,v,iv, so try c,g,f. BUT i THINK HE'S IN G, SO G, D,C.

Last edited:
I looked all over and could not find anything concrete yet.

At first blush, it sounds to me like a standard I, IV, V7, with some II, minor and m7 chords thrown in for color.

In the key of C, that's C, F, G7 and D, Dm and Gm7 as per above respectively, and there might be a Bb in the mix....I know it's not precise, but might get your started.

According to chordify, it seems to loosely follow that pattern, but I've not had good luck with their chord recognition.

I found another video of James doing the same song, and put it into chordify here:

http://chordify.net/chords/james-hill-agnostic-gospel-one-of-these-days-ill-be-traveling-on-markwitz

This evening or later today I might have some time to put uke in hand and see what I can figure out by ear.

I'll check back here after I spend some time with it an post an update. :)

G G7 C A7 D D7 G C G Am7 D7 G

Ok so I spent some time playing along with the above video.

Without including the flourishes and stepping tones that James plays on the A string as a sort of melody line, in standard C6 tuning, it seems to me that the song basically has only 3 chords and adheres to my initial impression as a variation of the I, IV, V chords.

It seems to me that the melody line of the song, pretty much just traverses various points of a G major scale in 1st position.

Thus the chords I am hearing, in order pretty much the whole song are G, C, and D, with a little D, C, G for the turnaround at the end of the verse.

Something like:

4 beats of G
2 beats of C
4 beats of G
2 beats of D
then 2 beats of C, then 4 beats of G for the turnaround.

I'm also hearing one beat of Em and one beat of Bm for only one beat in various parts as stepping tones to other chords, but I've not yet perfectly woven that into my understanding of the song quite yet.

I have not written this out coordinated to the lyrics, but let me know if the above is helpful or not, and if you need a more detailed explanation and I see if I can put each chord right at the lyrics where it changes. For that, I might have to just listen to it over and over again like 20 times before I can really look at the lyrics, especially since I am not familiar with this song as of yet (never heard it before).

Yay! Thanks guys for your help. I'll try and work it out from here. (I think I'm to the point where I can do this kind of thing if it's fairly simple) It kind of feels like my theme song these days.

I might have to just listen to it over and over again like 20 times before I can really look at the lyrics, especially since I am not familiar with this song as of yet (never heard it before).

Well it's on the third cd with the new wife. I think lyrically it's a great song so it might be worth your listening/playing it 20 times.

Top Bottom