Are you a ukulele player who bought a U-Bass?

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm posting this here because no one reads the Bass Talk forum.

Also I'd like to address those of you who are primarily ukulele players who bought a ukulele bass. The number of available "ukulele bass" options is proliferating. Now it looks like Fluke is making one.

My question is - do you actually play your bass? I play mine - a lot. I play with a couple of ukulele singing groups. It adds a lot and seems to be appreciated. However, I've had dozens of people say to me that they bought a ukulele bass and don't play it.

To play a very basic (no pun intended) bass is easy if you have experience playing guitar, know the notes on the fretboard, and have a reasonable knowledge of music theory. However, some people do find the bass boring to play (I don't I think it is challenging and interesting and adding a bass line to a bunch of treble instruments is satisfying). But It seems to me that if you have been playing the ukulele and don't come from guitar and don't have any theory background, it would be a lot harder to get the hang of it.

So i'm wondering how many people got a u-bass because it was a kind of ukulele and then just don't play it.

I tried one, but found playing bass wasn't for me.

I play mine all the time. I even switched my lessons from uke lessons to UBass lessons (although sometimes we sneak in a uke lesson here and there).

But It seems to me that if you have been playing the ukulele and don't come from guitar and don't have any theory background, it would be a lot harder to get the hang of it.

That is somewhat discouraging. :-(

I've only been playing ukulele for a year, have never played guitar, and have little interest in learning music theory, but I often find myself wanting to play simple bass riffs such as those common in punk rock songs.

I recently bought a guilele in hopes that it would provide me with the lower notes to allow for me to play those riffs (and possibly some acoustics melodies), but I dislike having six strings as opposed to four.

I was thinking that maybe a U-Bass was the answer. I think I'll pass now. ;-)

I didn't get a UBass - got a (much) cheaper ukulele bass as a kind of trial after I played a UBass for a few minutes at someone's house. I do like it a lot, and like playing it - those gigantic strings are a blast. But I almost never play it by itself, just to add bass where appropriate on recordings.

I bought a Ubass and rarely played; finally sold it. I recently bought a Chennell archtop bass along with a Chennell Archtop baritone. The only reason I bought the bass was for the deal when buying the two together. I can't put that bass down. The balance and sound,plugged and unplugged, is incredible. My California Ubass doesn't come close to my floating bridge Chennell

Attachments

• 11212607_952599984764479_5467339108017805386_o.jpg
    11212607_952599984764479_5467339108017805386_o.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 39
That is somewhat discouraging. :-(

I've only been playing ukulele for a year, have never played guitar, and have little interest in learning music theory, but I often find myself wanting to play simple bass riffs such as those common in punk rock songs.

I was thinking that maybe a U-Bass was the answer. I think I'll pass now. ;-)

When I say theory what I'm saying is pretty minimal. You need to understand what a root note is and a minimal amount about how chords are constructed. I really don't understand how people can play the ukulele without developing a little knowledge of theory, even if only by osmosis. The reason guitar is a good foundation is because the notes are the same on the bottom four strings so if you know the guitar fretboard you know the bass fretboard. If you have a really good ear and can copy the riffs in songs you probably don't need any theory, but even then theory helps because it helps you identify notes.

I rarely play mine.

Me too. I tried for a while but just drifted away from it. Maybe one day, I'll pick it up again. The same happened with ukulele. I started by going to an absolute beginners workshop, bought one, played it for a short while then put it away for 6 months. Eventually I picked it up again and I've not looked back.

I've done the same with the UBass. I play bass recorder and I love playing bass and I think some of the problem is simply making the effort to get to know my way round the fretboard so I can comfortably play along.

I bought a Ubass and rarely played; finally sold it. I recently bought a Chennell archtop bass along with a Chennell Archtop baritone. The only reason I bought the bass was for the deal when buying the two together. I can't put that bass down. The balance and sound,plugged and unplugged, is incredible. My California Ubass doesn't come close to my floating bridge Chennell

OK that bass right there is just the coolest . I have no desire to own or play bass...........but that one. .....Hell YES

That was me. Got a U-bass (Kala), played it 3 or 4 times, then re-homed it, so it wouldn't languish unplayed. I like bass lines and know how to play them from past piano theory. So I knew what to play and taught myself to play it. If I played in more groups, I think I would have loved the bass more. But as a solo player who doesn't do a huge amount of multitracking after all (I thought I would w/ the bass), I didn't get enough use out of it to justify keeping it. I can certainly see how it adds to a group though. I just wasn't the one to play it.

Now that it's possible to get a U-bass that's not made in China, I've been *really* tempted since I've been a wannabe bass player all my life. But as it is my time is limited and I feel like some weeks I don't even spend as much time as I like with my ukes, so - I've held back thus far.

A lot of the low G ensemble and duet stuff I play is bass-line-ish, so I'm trying to remain satisfied with that when I want to get my bass/rhythm fix on. Reading some of these posts about U-bass purchases that went unplayed is helping to strengthen my resolve, so - thanks for bringing this topic up!

I've got one [a haden / rondo] and I rarely play it [along with my mando]. I had it lent out to someone in my uke club, and he bought a Kala solid body. it adds a lot to our sound. I bought it because it was a deal. I think I only paid 140 for it, and it plays and sounds fine. swamp ash acoustic body. I really should sell it, along with a lot of ukes I don't play. I mostly play my Koaloha tenor or my Favilla baritones. I need to sell all my soprano & concerts.

Here's a story for those who don't know music or theory. For the 50 odd years I played guitar, I never learned the fretboard, or music or theory in any way, I was often told I should take up the bass because I have good rhythm and feel, but I didn't want to be encumbered by a large electric bass.

Two years ago I started playing ukulele (haven't touched my guitars since) and fell into it quickly, joining a couple of groups. The main group is made up of 40-50 people and a few months ago the leader asked if anyone would be interested in playing bass to fill in our sound. One of the guys and I volunteered, for me it was partly because I became aware of all the u-bass/small basses available (I'm up to six). I immediately took a few lessons and got the basics, and just took off from there.

Still not having any music knowledge, I take the lead sheets we use and fill in a variety of none musical notations to keep me on track. It's been working for me very well, so I say you don't need to have any music knowledge, just the inclination, some rhythm and feel, and just go for it.

Bring Me Sunshine.jpg

Last edited:
I play mine a lot, but I played bass before I got it. I find I like the solid body more than the acoustic-is one-- but the reality is, the solid body has no uke roots, it's just a short scale bass.

I bought a Kala U-Bass about four years ago and loved it. I watch online bass tutorials, go to bass tab sites and am teaching myself. My hubby picked up on my enthusiasm and surprised me with an Ohana fretless bass uke. Not needing two bass ukes, I sold the U-Bass.

I have no musical education either and surprise myself when I noodle around on the bass and it sounds like I know what I'm doing.:D

I play mine a lot, but I played bass before I got it. I find I like the solid body more than the acoustic-is one-- but the reality is, the solid body has no uke roots, it's just a short scale bass.

I think the solid body is sort of like the old Ashbory basses. I don't think any of them are really uke-ish other than that Kala started it. The sound of both the solid and the acoustic has a bit of upright bass tone due to the rubber strings. Change to a more metal string and the unique sound goes away.

Re Mikes point: I don't think it is a good idea to write down the bass lines. If you hit the root on the chord change (and the root is easy - if it is a C chord it is a C root, etc.), then the fifth is either on the same fret one string below and two frets up on the string above. (Note by below or above I mean higher or lower pitch). I started just I/V on the first and third beat. Then I just let my ear be my guide. To move from one chord to the other you can insert some passing notes - or not. Sometimes I just use !/!. Sometimes i just hit the root. Sometimes I add in some rhythm. Sometimes I use a little of the melody to make a pattern. If you know what key you are in and where the changes are you can play with almost anyone. A lot of times with Bass, less is more so if all you do is hit the root note on the chord change you are still enhancing the overall sound. It helps to practice scales and arpeggios (chords broken apart). Writing down the bass line makes you dependent on what you write down, and the I-V beat is so easy it should be automatic.

I like the feeling of being the pulse and the foundation of the sound. I think a group of ukes with no bass sounds empty. I almost never play my uke with uke groups, and for the most part I don't want to. While I play uke frequently by myself; I have only wanted to play bass with groups for the last year and a half or so.

Thanks Dave, I've played bass since I was 14, 66 now, and feel this is the best one I've played. It's light as a feather. I find I'm doing more lead lines with this one. Sounds cool.

I own a Cardinal series CSB450 that is a bit beat up by a ring wearing PO and my own mistreatment thinking I was eventually going to paint/sculpt a skull into the face of the body. http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/csb/csb.html Its a hell of a player and 20 years ago I used to enjoy doing my best to play along with old black sabbath albums and such.

Now after playing a ukulele even a shorter scale smaller body bass feels HUGE. I want a solid body ubass but ask myself if its justifiable I do have a bass I could just plug into my RP360 and play thru headphones and/or record to computer. Its just so big. Did I mention I have issues with selling anything as well? Of course with the RP-360 my Risa stick can sound like a guitar and though a bit processed even a bass. My soprano stick is tuned to the same intervals as the four lower strings of a guitar instead of the four higher strings. Bass playing to me seemed very pattern orientated this is why I use an altered tuning on my stick.

I had a brief vision of a cigar box bass which led to a member pointing out the Rondo to me. Surprised I haven't bought one yet actually at the price. I cant lie my head and interests jump allover the place. Last week I wanted to build a canjo now I can see buying one will get me there faster. Got caught up outfitting a washboard and found quite a bit of goodies to attach to it. I'm stuck with needing thimbles haven't just bought them because my brain wants gloves with of all things used bottle caps. I just haven't visited a bar yet.

If I were only half as talented as I wish I were to use all these wonderful instruments. What the hell was the question again? Major dental work the last two/few months has my head spinning. If the journey is half the fun I sure have a bunch O fun.

I play mine regularly with friends. 4 guitars and 2 harmonicas need a low end and rhythm (this bunch Really needs a rhythm!) so my marginal playing is appreciated.

UBass and a ukulele (any size) are two different beasts. For that matter a UBass and a standard bass are two different beasts. How you play it and the feel of it isn't for everyone but I think they are a blast. I like getting a double bass sound out of a compact instrument.

Top Bottom