Bruko Owners: let's talk

I have three Brukos two custom and the other one of their standard tenors.

The customs are a pearwood soprano which I have tuned ADF#B. It has the characteristic bright tone that Bruko ukes tend to have and the higher tuning accentuates this and I like it. I did recently try tuning it back down to GCEA but quickly retuned it back up as it definitely sounded better. I recently restrung it with Living Water strings which I think are slightly lower tension than the supplied pyramid carbon strings.

The other custom is a rosewood concert which I have tuned FBbDG. Taking it down a tone from GCEA this gives it a slightly more mellow tone than in GCEA and the lower tension makes it more comfortable to play.

The third one is a standard No. 9 tenor. I retuned that to EAC#F# some time ago but have now taken it down to DGBE. I think it probably sounded slightly better in the A tuning but I find DGBE to be more flexible for me and the keys I mostly play in. I have restrung it using Worth CF strings. These are the Worth "Fat" strings and so are higher tension than either the pyramid ones or standard Worth CT strings. Too high IMO for GCEA but reasonable when tuned DGBE. Again the lower tuning moderates the bright Bruko tone and sounds really good to my ears.

I am very happy with my Brukos. They are excellent value for money and I've not found major issues with intonation. I don't play up the neck much and so a high action is not really a problem though I don't find the action to be particularly high. I actually like the tone of the Brukos and I feel it suits the style of music I play. I'm not planning to get rid of them any time soon.

Top Bottom