Kamaka or koaloha

I've had both ,,,,,still got the Kamaka ,,,it's the feel amongst other things,,the Koaloha headstock is fancy at first but annoying after a while , I've had Mya Moe tenors ,,,still prefer the Kamaka

Kanile'a

I'll get my coat

Kanilea for me too!..............unless of course the price was so low on one of the other two that I couldn't possibly pass it up. I'm an equal opportunity uke buyer as long as the price is right.

If you are buying from HMS, then you have already won.

Personally, when I went to Ukulele Source in San Jose, I played every Kamaka and every KoAloha in the shop, and for me they were pretty much the same - neither brand was spectacular, nor horrid.

Except for one thing: I didn't like any of the friction tuners, regardless of brand. Generally, I'm not a friction tuner fan, but all of them were brand new and so stiff I had a hard time using any of them. (Granted this was not long after surgery on my left arm, and I had a hard time with anything around then.)

But when I picked up the KoAloha Sceptre - which I was avoiding, because it just looked gimicky - I was instantly attached. Sealed gear tuners, great sound plucked quietly or strummed, and the resonance of the instrument was spectacular. I thought about it overnight (it was way beyond my budget), called Smiley the next day, and returned two days later to purchase it.

I still haven't played a Kamaka that screamed "Take me home! Now!", but there are some nice ones out there. Trust Andrew and his staff, and you will get a superb instrument.

-Kurt​

I've had all 3, Koaloha, Kamaka, Kanilea. I still have the Koaloha. I think the build quality is #3, the sound [for me] is #1.

If you are buying from HMS, then you have already won.

Personally, when I went to Ukulele Source in San Jose, I played every Kamaka and every KoAloha in the shop, and for me they were pretty much the same - neither brand was spectacular, nor horrid.

Except for one thing: I didn't like any of the friction tuners, regardless of brand. Generally, I'm not a friction tuner fan, but all of them were brand new and so stiff I had a hard time using any of them. (Granted this was not long after surgery on my left arm, and I had a hard time with anything around then.)

But when I picked up the KoAloha Sceptre - which I was avoiding, because it just looked gimicky - I was instantly attached. Sealed gear tuners, great sound plucked quietly or strummed, and the resonance of the instrument was spectacular. I thought about it overnight (it was way beyond my budget), called Smiley the next day, and returned two days later to purchase it.

I still haven't played a Kamaka that screamed "Take me home! Now!", but there are some nice ones out there. Trust Andrew and his staff, and you will get a superb instrument.

-Kurt​

Tenor Kamaka's and tenor KoAloha's only come with sealed geared tuners. You're the first owner I know with a Scepter. :) How cool!

Top Bottom