Would you have Jake autograph your uke?

fretie

Reaction score
As luck would have it, Jake will be playing at the Hawaii Uke Fest on July 19th and I'll be there!

I'll have my Kamaka soprano uke with me as I'm playing a couple of songs with a big group of strummers at the festival. So, what I wonder is, if I had the chance to talk to Jake would I, should I, could I....ask him to autograph my uke?

What would you do if you were in my rubba slippas?

Never. I'd buy a cheapo and get him to autograph that one, or else take a CD sleeve along and ask him to sign that.

From a buyer's perspective, if someone was selling an autographed uke I wouldn't even look at it twice. Total deal-breaker. But then if you love the fella and his music and are never likely to sell the uke then it's a prize that's invaluable.

We're all different eh. Jake's not really a music hero of mine and I don't really listen to his music. But like, if it was Pete Seeger then I'd have him sign his name in my bum with a tattoo needle.

The only musicians I would consider to have sign any of my basses, ukes, or guitars are Paul, Ringo, or Springsteen. They're the ones who set me on my path. Everyone else who I love and admire I'm OK just thanking them for what they've added to my life, maybe a picture. I genuinely don't get the whole autograph thing.

Never. I'd buy a cheapo and get him to autograph that one, or else take a CD sleeve along and ask him to sign that.

From a buyer's perspective, if someone was selling an autographed uke I wouldn't even look at it twice. Total deal-breaker. But then if you love the fella and his music and are never likely to sell the uke then it's a prize that's invaluable.

We're all different eh. Jake's not really a music hero of mine and I don't really listen to his music. But like, if it was Pete Seeger then I'd have him sign his name in my bum with a tattoo needle.

Another vote for "never" - I agree with all of this except substitute George Harrison for Seeger, as long as we're raising heroes from the dead :)

As for Jake though - I've seen him play a few times and every time, he's done a signing/meet-and-greet afterward. I'm not sure that this would apply to the ukulele festival though. The times I've seen him he seemed extremely approachable and was signing all sorts of things - cheapo ukes, nice ukes, CDs, t-shirts, arms... no bums, though, at least not that I saw.

I wouldn't. But I'm also not into autographs.

If you could talk him into playing a song with your uke and get a picture of him, showing the autograph, then, maybe...

From a buyer's perspective, if someone was selling an autographed uke I wouldn't even look at it twice. Total deal-breaker.
I'm with you on that, too. I'd rather have an autograph on a CD sleeve or one of his tab books.

But marring the finish on one of my ukes would not fly. Except maybe for that pink Mahalo or the no-name I bought at a flea market recently ($25 for the both of them).

I'm in the NEVER camp. Don't mar a beautiful Kamaka with a sharpie !

Whilel I have enjoyed Jake live in concert, I would prefer to buy a uke without his signature.

I quit collecting autographs back around fifth grade. And I'm very careful about what I sign. Once, I signed something, and POOF! I was in the Army. ;) Anyway, I wouldn't mind if Jake signed one of my sopranos, maybe the old Varsity banjo-uke. ANYTHING would increase its value. Maybe I could get Bela Fleck to sign it, too. Should be worth something.

Well, interesting to read your strong views on not getting a good uke autographed. I appreciate the feedback!

I might get the back of a uke autographed, but not the front.

When I went to see Jake for the first time, I went out and bought a small laminate Makala for him to sign. I didn't have an expensive ukulele at the time, but I didn't want anyone signing any ukulele that I'd actually use as an instrument.

My buddy had him sign his Blackbird Tenor when we met him. Me? I took a picture for him to sign.

I have an inexpensive "autograph uke" just for the novelty. Jake and James Hill have signed it, and the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. It is a light blue Makala Dolphin. If you do get it signed, get an Industrial Strength Sharpie. If you want to preserve a signature on a playing uke, you will want to put a clear coat over it or it will wear off. You should test the clear coat on a scrap, to make sure it doesn't make the ink bleed.

I don't think autographs increase the value of the uke, unless it was somebody like Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, or George Harrison.

–Lori

I wouldn't want to mar any of my ukes. Hero worship is not really my thing.

Cant say I'm in a rush to go see him play much less mark up an instrument myself so fast answer is no.

True story, having had a woman get angered at misunderstanding how her maid was being charged with being a AAA member and all she threatened me with getting "meat". Hell even at 49 my answer would still be well you go get "meat" then.

"Meat" turned out to be meatloaf just awoken and looking quite disheveled with bed head going on in shorts and a sweat shirt. My boss at the time folded and gave his maid a pass. I said to him hey I bet you have everyone ask for your autograph, I would just like to shake your hand to which he offered a handshake. While shaking hands I said to him Rockey Horror Picture Show to which he rolled his eyes and let out a sigh. I got a giggle from that as I saw the brilliance of the spoof movie having read all about in in famous monsters mag back in the day.

Few years later I hear hes releasing a second album and got a bunch of plastic surgery done. Maybe he feared only being remembered here for RHPS. I gained much respect for him once I saw him play Bob in fight club, hes wasn't taking himself so seriously. Hes also come to grips with RHPS as well from what I read. I honestly hadn't read the story about him hitting a theater on opening night to an empty theater before last year.

I have the 2 comic Spiderman series Torment drawn and signed by Todd McFarlane before he did Spawn. :)

I'd ask him to autograph a clear pickguard and put that on my ukulele at the most.

Yep. Did. On the side facing up when I hold it. Since I am not going to sell it, it has only to please me, and it reminds me of the concert and getting to meet Jake backstage. He's a nice guy. Also have a picture, and the memory of my wife asking him, after the concert, if his hands were okay; she was worried because he was playing so hard.

I'm a bit startled at the responses here. I'm a big fan of Antiques Roadshow (UK version). An autographed instrument, or an instrument proven to be used by a star is worth way more than the same instrument without that connection.

Pardon me for mentioning guitars, but the videos of Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival indicate that at least one performer was getting other players to sign his guitar. That guitar signed by Clapton, Beck, BB King, Vince Gill and multiple others would be worth several times the same model unsigned. A worthwhile addition to his pension plan.

Top Bottom