What would you do if . . .

DaveY

Reaction score
you bought a solid top, laminate back and sides ukulele for $280 and when you opened the box a piece of the lacquer fell off the top of the headstock, the action was high, and there (sometimes) was a little buzz on the A string when played open . . . but otherwise you liked it.

That is, would you contact the seller (a business, not a private party), keep the thing, return it . . .

My greatest concern is that the existing issues might indicate other problems down the road. Does that seem likely?

I bought it online from a place that advertises set-up ukes.

I would need to pay shipping (both ways) unless the issues were deemed to be defects (I assume).

I know that it’s up to me, but I’m wondering what you folks think. Thanks.

I personally would contact them, then arrange to send it back for a replacement. If you like it you are probably going to like the replacement as well. Seems to me with the problems you describe it has somehow missed the "set up" part of the process. $280 is no small amount of money, they owe you a decent instrument. If it was my business I would appreciate an opportunity to correct the mistake.

Send it back you did not cause the damage, and if they advertise set up ukes then the instrument should not buzz under normal playing conditions especially on a simple open string. The height of the action however is very personal so it's hard to complain on that unless it's ridiculous. These things being said I'm not sure how you would get stuck with the shipping bill the company should do something to rectify the situation, at least split costs if not cover them completely.

Send it back. If you feel confident with the seller, ask for a replacement. If not, ask for money back. I'd also mention the action was way too high. Perhaps next time ask if they actually do the setups or is it setup at the factory. There's a local music shop that advertises their instruments are setup. What they don't say is it's setup at the factory.

I've learned my lesson from a past purchase and will only buy from the select few dealers mentioned in this forum. Am looking forward to hearing how this goes. Good Luck.

lol your such a positive guy. if you like it, even with a buzzing A string ,high action and fallen laquar, imagine how much more excited youll be when you get a nicer one with a nice setup(most important then anything on the ukulele) and no strings buzzing.

but then again , its probably a made in china ukulele correct? expect flaws on all there ukuleles, even Hawaii made entry level ($1000) has flaws on most of them. so try imagine imported ones. you should return it and just order it from HMS.

return it, exchange or no exchange. Should be no expense to you

lol your such a positive guy.

Well . . . sometimes.

So by now the buzz seems to have disappeared, and by "high action" I mean in comparison to my four other uses (ranging in price from $186 to $1050). I don't know enough to determine how "high" the action is (though I know that there are ways to measure it). But the lacquer is still gone. Anyway, the consensus is there: return it. I'll contact the seller today, and thanks for all your input.

I agree with returning it. I hope it goes well with the seller and that they can replace it for you. Hope you don't have to pay shipping, as the problem certainly wasn't caused by you.

you bought a solid top, laminate back and sides ukulele for $280 and when you opened the box a piece of the lacquer fell off the top of the headstock, the action was high, and there (sometimes) was a little buzz on the A string when played open . . . but otherwise you liked it.

That is, would you contact the seller (a business, not a private party), keep the thing, return it . . .

My greatest concern is that the existing issues might indicate other problems down the road. Does that seem likely?

I bought it online from a place that advertises set-up ukes.

I would need to pay shipping (both ways) unless the issues were deemed to be defects (I assume).

I know that it’s up to me, but I’m wondering what you folks think. Thanks.
What brand is it, or would you rather not say? I'm with the rest, send it back. You say that you have to pay shipping both ways unless it is found defective, and it sounds defective to me. But you say "I assume". Does that mean that you haven't called the seller about it, to see what they say? That is the first thing I would do, even before I got on the internet and asked everyone else what to do.

Last edited:
What brand is it, or would you rather not say? I'm with the rest, send it back. You say that you have to pay shipping both ways unless it is found defective, and it sounds defective to me. But you say "I assume". Does that mean that you haven't called the seller about it, to see what they say? That is the first thing I would do, even before I got on the internet and asked everyone else what to do.

I don't want to say the brand, because that might narrow it down in terms of the seller, and I don't want to publicize that, as I assume it is an honest error. Meanwhile, I just noticed that the "A" string is buzzing when fretting up to the fifth fret, so . . .

I wish you luck with this. Please keep us posted.

Sometimes the buzz is the tuner buzzing . The best way to check is put the headstock next to your ear and plink the string .....you should be able to ascertain if the tuner (it may not be that particular strings tuner which is buzzing)is indeed the culprit . Then get a small screwdriver and GENTLY tighten up any loose screws.

To be fair screws are bas***ds.....oh ....hang on ....no that's what the cons always said .........nah , seriously , even on expensive (mega) uks screws can loosen off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom