Hi from the UK's newest uke addict!

Pete F

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just thought I'd say hi! I've been lurking in the background for a couple of months and it's about time I introduced myself.

I'm Pete, based in Sussex, UK. A complete beginner to any musical instrument, and chose the ukulele at the beginning of the year. I'm becoming an addict, I can't not pick up a uke at some point in the day - loving the sound and the tactile feel of the instrument.

Looking to meet like minded souls in the Sussex or Surrey area to play and learn the uke in a fun way. A bit put off by the "Danny Boy" type material that is played in the groups I've attended/heard about - sorry nothing wrong with it just not my bag. Inspired by the modern Hawaiian player style - flamboyance and fun stuff :)

Hi Pete and welcome!

Yes, I think it's inevitable that many groups will play songs that are a. easy to play and b. most people know (and Danny Boy falls in to both those categories quite neatly). If you want to pursue a particular style then you either need to be lucky and find some like-minded players, or simply be prepared to plough your own furrow. Personally I like novelty songs of the 1920s, 30s and 40s, many of which I don't know until I take the trouble either to pick out the melody on a keyboard or find a you-tube recording. I confess I don't even know what you mean by 'the modern Hawaiian player style', but if you could post a pointer or two I'd be interested to find out.

Do look out for the 'Seasons of the Ukulele' section on here. There's a different theme to have a go at every week and even within any one theme a very wide variety!

Greetings and welcome. Glad you joined us. Ukes are for fun....play what you enjoy. Sometimes with uke groups, it's more about the fellowship rather than the music they choose.

Hi again, and thanks for the welcome. Perhaps I over emphasised the Danny Boy element - I'm not totally opposed to the song style just prefer some variation. There are a few more promising local-ish groups to check out yet :)

I confess the 'modern Hawaiian player style' is just my interpretation of the Youtube stuff I've watched, and I'm probably not the person to name a new genre - just a viewers (mine) generalisation. Glad I cleared that up - haha!

Top Bottom