Well I hope I did a good thing

Nickie

Reaction score
I was just speaking with a patient's wife, establishing a rapport and building trust. While listening to her, she told me, with tears in her eyes, that she had no other purpose than caring for her husband who is dying. She is fighting cancer in her own body, and is scheduled for a 2nd surgery.
She said she hoped she could go soon after him, so she can find him again. She said he regretted many things, and one of them was never having learned to play music. I suggested that maybe he could still play vicariously through her, if she learned to play.
I told her I play ukulele, and invited her to a jam session when she feels up to it. She wanted to know if it's easy to learn......
She soon lit up, told me she is excited about learning to play, and plans to move to Japan, where she has a friend who owns many nice ukes, and will ask her for one to learn with. Then she plans to move back to her native country and play music with her family there!
She is very thin and offered me dinner, telling me she wasn't hungry. I was starving, but I lied and told her I wasn't hungry either, and would eat when she does. Later, we pigged out.
I think I did okay for one evening's work.

Last edited:
Now that has made my week, no month...no, year. Nickie you are a ray of sunshine wherever you go. Beautiful. x

Brave Nickie good job and you have a big heart, she needs someone to get her though these hard times
I'm glad you are there for her...

That is awesome. I sometimes think my life is hard, but it really isn't. Not compared to what other people have to go through.

I did it again. Different patient this evening. I had a conversation with her son and daughter, and the daughter said she has been unsuccessful at learning music. I told her about the ukulele, and about TBUS. She was very surprised and sounded excited to know about it, and to be invited to a jam session....

Besides that, the young gentleman named Glenn, from New York, who was our guest musician in church today, opened his "act" with a solo with his soprano ukulele. He couldn't believe that TBUS has 900+ members.

Being a (genuinely) Surly old man, I'm usually nonchalant about 'most everything... but your posts moved me. "Good on you," I say and keep it up - goodness knows, the world needs more such unswerving & caring "nursing". Thanks.

Well done, Nickie. You have a beautiful spirit and you live in kindness.

An I remembering correctly that you were told you couldn't play uke at the facility? Would these patient stories help to change it?

God Bless the caregivers.. especially those who play the uke and pass on it's happiness.

Hear. Hear. It takes a big heart and genuine kindness to do what you do Nickie. Great work.

Thanks for all your kind words.....
Yes, that's true, I am forbidden to play the uke for my patients and families, after having a lot of success with it for over 3 years. I hate corporate medicine.
I used to love my job. I like it, but now I don't love it.
I went to another facility on Sunday, and the staff asked me where the uke was. I had to tell them. They were very displeased. I don't think any amount of begging, convincing, or petitioning would budge the powers that be. They are not nice people. I don't even wanna ask, for fear of being fired. Lots of good nurses have been fired lately.

Kudos to you Nickie.

Your continuing expressions of kindness, compassion and selflessness are both a wonderful example to follow and an inspiration to me.

Reading your stories makes me want to become a better person.

Thank you for sharing. :)

I am forbidden to play the uke for my patients and families, after having a lot of success with it for over 3 years. I hate corporate medicine.

Sorry to hear that! I hope you'll keep up the uke spirit without the little instrument for now. And, I agree about "corporate medicine", or corporate anything for that matter. My perception is that hospitals and nursing homes are all about keeping the beds full, and pushing the meds du jour for big pharma. They aren't interested in "healing" in the traditional sense, and as far as they are concerned, patients have no souls or spirits to attend to.

Perhaps some of it is due to peoples' perception that music is easy and frivolous unless one is being paid specifically to perform or record. When I was in the USAF Band we were ordered, and I mean "Ordered," not to use the word "play" or "playing" when talking to anyone about the band. We were instructed to say we were "working" or "rehearsing." That seems to be a reflection of the same attitude.

Last edited:
My perception is that hospitals and nursing homes are all about keeping the beds full, and pushing the meds du jour for big pharma. They aren't interested in "healing" in the traditional sense, and as far as they are concerned, patients have no souls or spirits to attend to.

This is my perception, too. It's all about big pharma.

Well, this made me cry.

Happy tears Nickie - for the caring and compassion you showed and the comfort you brought. Happy to remember how the lowly uke saved me when I was at my sickest and thinking my time on this earth might be done. Happy recalling all the videos shown in this forum that brought so much joy to me - even the blues LOL. Happy reminding myself just how much learning about the instrument and music has enriched my life - I guess its true, you are never too old to learn something new.

Sad tears Nickie - knowing you have the will, the talent and the compassion to ease suffering but are prevented from doing so. Sad because there will always be some that cannot open their minds and hearts in the treatment of others - sick or not.

I've come to believe that the only true purpose in life lies in the ability to make others feel better about themselves. Pretty simplistic, I know- but what else really matters?

Thank you for the joy and insight you have brought to us in this forum. You have made us better by sharing your experiences and insight. Don't ever stop doing what you are doing - despite the opposition. I wish I could hug you......

Last edited:
Well, this made me cry.

Happy tears Nickie - for the caring and compassion you showed and the comfort you brought. Happy to remember how the lowly uke saved me when I was at my sickest and thinking my time on this earth might be done. Happy recalling all the videos shown in this forum that brought so much joy to me - even the blues LOL. Happy reminding myself just how much learning about the instrument and music has enriched my life - I guess its true, you are never too old to learn something new.

Sad tears Nickie - knowing you have the will, the talent and the compassion to ease suffering but are prevented from doing so. Sad because there will always be some that cannot open their minds and hearts in the treatment of others - sick or not.

I've come to believe that the only true purpose in life lies in the ability to make others feel better about themselves. Pretty simplistic, I know- but what else really matters?

Thank you for the joy and insight you have brought to us in this forum. You have made us better by sharing your experiences and insight. Don't ever stop doing what you are doing - despite the opposition. I wish I could hug you......

Thanks for your kind words. You've me smile and tear up. Again, on Monday, a group of facility staff at an ALF asked "Where's the ukulele, Nurse Nickie?" They were very disappointed to learn the truth.
Yesterday was a benchmark day too. I sold the "work" uke to a beginner at my church. She came to pick it up, so I showed her three chords, how to hold and strum it. She was tickled to get it, and I was glad to let it go, I think it will help with the closure I need. I'll be retiring from nursing in a year or less, so I'd like a new sort of income to supplement SS. That also will be closure.
I think there are basically two reasons we are here.
1. To have fun.
2. To learn.
Ukulele players are good at both, and we're also pretty good at helping others feel better!

Last edited:
Aloha nickie, Ah you give so much comfort and support to patients and their families, when it's your time
They will all be there for you in the next life. Way to go girl...
You are truely a ukulele ambassador :)

Top Bottom