Ohana: Too Good to Be True?

Ukettante

Reaction score
As there are no stores that carry Ohanas where I'm at, I'm going to have to buy online, sight unseen, purely on the basis of what I've read at this forum and what I've seen on Youtube.

The only thing that's giving me reservations is this: how can something so reportedly good be so inexpensive? Great sound. Great workmanship. Great solid woods, great steup, great playability, etc. I've heard all these from many of you. What am I NOT getting if I buy an Ohana? What shouldn't I expect? I'm thinking of the SK-35 specifically. Is it because they sell so many units of this model they can keep the price so low?

The key to any use you are buying sight unseen is to be sure you buy from a dealer who will properly set it up. Fortunately there are a few very reputable Ohana dealers. Mim and Uke Republic are both great people and include a wonderful set up on all their ukes. Elderly music is another shop that sells Ohana and includes a set up.

Now, to answer your question about Ohana ukuleles. I love them! I got a SK-25 earlier this year and absolutely love it! It is a joy to play! And it is a solid wood ukulele for under $200! I would absolutely recommend an Ohana to anyone.

I have owned a Ohana CK-20 and a Ohana TK-20 and really liked them. Great price for a solid top/Lam sides. I think they are one of the best bargins out there.

WCBarnes is sooooo correct about buying from a company that does set ups. I will go one step further and say limit that to either Mim or Uke Republic because UKULELES are their only business, you'll get the best set up and attention to detail.

Here is one reason Ohana are so loved, a really good uke at a very reasonable price. If you want better in a solid wood instrument you would pay double or triple for a Pono, depending on the model. Everyone loves value so that is the reason they are so well spoken about.

Ohana is a good solid value. I've never owned one but I've played a bunch. I also think that Kala, of which I've owned a few, delivers similar value. However, you are not getting a $1000 instrument for $250. You are getting solid value for the price. They keep the price so low by using cheap labor in Asia, less than premium wood, and cutting corners in places like cheaper fretwire and tuners. It also helps if you buy from someone who checks it out and does a setup for you - weeding out the ones that have problems.

WCBarnes is sooooo correct about buying from a company that does set ups. I will go one step further and say limit that to either Mim or Uke Republic because UKULELES are their only business, you'll get the best set up and attention to detail.

Here is one reason Ohana are so loved, a really good uke at a very reasonable price. If you want better in a solid wood instrument you would pay double or triple for a Pono, depending on the model. Everyone loves value so that is the reason they are so well spoken about.

+1 for Ohana ukes, and +1,000 for both Mim's Ukes and Uke Republic! :cool:

"Too good to be true" is not what I would call it, but some ukuleles are great values. Ohanas are surely among these. Still, buying sight-unseen is a scary proposition.
I highly recommend getting your Ohana from Mim. You may find a slightly lower price elsewhere, but better to receive an instrument with no surprises.

I bought my Ohana SK-20S online, but it was in a sale and so at £55 I was happy to go just on reputation. I did find the action too high (for me) at the nut so I took it to a local luthier who lowered it a little for me for a very small charge, and I'm now very happy with it. Intonation is good, it's fairly loud and sounds pretty good for the price. I'd prefer friction tuners but beggars can't be choosers...

Last edited:
Top Bottom