Mahogany tenors: Cordoba 30T or Pono MT?

A Pono AT has been my first "serious" uke too, and honestly, I'd say it is as good as any that I tried since. Like Pueo, I'm using Worth Brown and find that uke to be a great allrounder for both strumming and fingerpicking. I think the satin finish might be affecting the tone positively, providing a very open sound. I had mine for over three years now and played the heck out of it, but still no strum marks visible.

If you like KoAloha, but can't afford one, then you should consider their Opio line. They are made from Sapele which is said to be some sort of Mahogany. Their new tenor is similar in tone to my AT, but with a wider dynamic range.

I will make your life easy, buy the Pono MTD, seriously. The more you look and talk the longer your list is getting then confusion and indecision sets in. At the very beginning it was Cordoba or Pono, both mahogany and you like the sound of each with Pono having the edge. Moving up to the MTD you now have the looks that you want.

I was at a practice and Matthew pulled out a MTD and as he played it I was like "HOLY S**T that sounds great. I had a Pono pro classic with me and I was lusting after his MTD.

Listen to Dave... I did and I am happy with my MTD :)

Thanks for the kind words. I am really glad you are enjoying your Pono. I have custom ukes that are 2-3 times the price of my Pono pro classic and "Simone" holds her own and gets played just as much or more.

How are you liking the size of the neck, I rememeber that was a point of interest for you.

Thanks for the kind words. I am really glad you are enjoying your Pono. I have custom ukes that are 2-3 times the price of my Pono pro classic and "Simone" holds her own and gets played just as much or more.

How are you liking the size of the neck, I rememeber that was a point of interest for you.

I like the neck. The thickness is absolutely constant all the way up - my concert kala acacia feels thicker compared to MTD. At least to my hands. Also Ohana tenor I owned felt thicker.

If you're getting into the $500-ish territory, it might also be worthwhile to watch the Marketplace section for a little while. Might get something higher-end that would otherwise be outside of your budget. (Especially since you're determined to just stick to one tenor!) (I know, I'm not helping. :p)

I've contacted Andrew at HMS and though he didn't steer me one way or the other or make recommendations one way or the other, my gut is telling me that I should go with a Pono. The Cordobas are now out of the running! (Though I still dig the look of that 35T.) My gut just kept telling me that it was probably much more likely that I would buy a Cordoba and regret not buying a Pono than it was likely that I would buy a Pono and regret not buying the Cordoba.

That brings me down from six picks to four. Now it's the acacias (AT or ATD) vs. the mahoganys (MT or MTD) Among those four choices, I don't really think I can make a bad or regrettable decision. At this point, I'm still up in the air between the four.

Last edited:
If you're getting into the $500-ish territory, it might also be worthwhile to watch the Marketplace section for a little while. Might get something higher-end that would otherwise be outside of your budget. (Especially since you're determined to just stick to one tenor!) (I know, I'm not helping. :p)

That's good advice and it's very tempting. I've seen several very nice deals that were had from past listings. The thought of spending that kind of money on a buy from a personal sale makes me nervous. With a buy from a reputable retailer like HMS, there's some recourse if something is wrong or goes wrong. With a personal sale, you're very unlikely to get that and are left wondering what you might be getting in the first place since it's a used instrument. I'm not sure my paranoia would allow me to do it! :cool:

I've contacted Andrew at HMS and though he didn't steer me one way or the other or make recommendations one way or the other, my gut is telling me that I should go with a Pono. The Cordobas are now out of the running! (Though I still dig the look of that 35T.) My gut just kept telling me that it was probably much more likely that I would buy a Cordoba and regret not buying a Pono than it was likely that I would buy a Pono and regret not buying the Cordoba.

That brings me down from six picks to four. Now it's the acacias (AT or ATD) vs. the mahoganys (MT or MTD) Among those four choices, I don't really think I can make a bad or regrettable decision. At this point, I'm still up in the air between the four.

Awesome, man. Not only go with your gut, but follow your heart. I personally would choose the deluxe option, the MTD or ATD. I have the Pono ATSH that I bought from Andrew.

I love my Pono PTO, but my Cordoba 32T is also a wonderful uke. It is a spruce/rosewood combination so the sound is little brighter and a little more complex. One thing to remember is the Cordoba 30 series have 12 frets to the body rather than 14 which gives you a tiny bit more room fret to fret as you move up the fretboard.

Top Bottom