Mahogany tenors: Cordoba 30T or Pono MT?

Picking melodies seems like it would be pretty difficult.

It's easier to learn than learning to sing. ;-)

Check out Bret McQueen's Ukulele Tricks web site. He has some free fingerstyle stuff there to get you started and a complete course that is reasonably priced and very well done in my opinion.

From all you've said I'd go with the Cordoba myself. Purely because the more you like the aesthetics of an instrument the more likely you are to pick it up and play it. Besides, every man and his dog has a Pono. If you're purchasing from HMS you don't even need to ask is the model worthy of buying. They always sort out the wheat from the chaff and then add flavouring. :)

I've purchased Cordoba tenor uke (local music store). I had to send it back immediately. I could not believe that the uke could pass through factory doors. On the other hand, my Pono MTD is flawless. Although Cordoba looks great and I believe it also sounds that way. It dissapointed me once though.

Last edited:
From all you've said I'd go with the Cordoba myself. Purely because the more you like the aesthetics of an instrument the more likely you are to pick it up and play it. Besides, every man and his dog has a Pono. If you're purchasing from HMS you don't even need to ask is the model worthy of buying. They always sort out the wheat from the chaff and then add flavouring. :)

This is true in this situation. HMS isn't going to send out a lousy sample so you can buy what most suits your fancy. I like Pono's myself but I think that Cordoba is sweet and I'd try it over that particular model Pono. Pono is so popular for good reason but that hardly means they will always be the best choice.

I definitely hear more sustain in the Pono -- but that's not all there is to voicing and tone. They both sound good to me. Here's an idea: Have a friend (or handy enemy) play back the sound samples for you without telling you which is which, and see if you consistently favor one over the other. If so, buy the one that sound's best to you. That's just me, but I will always pick sound over appearance within reason. If you don't consistently favor the sound of one particular uke, buy based on appearance (you do have to look at it, after all). Do let us know what you decide, and then what you think once you've got your chosen uke!

Between the two, I would choose the Cordoba 30T. For myself, I believe a beautiful 'ukulele is a played 'ukulele. And since you will be buying from HMS, I KNOW Andrew, Zach and the crew would choose a good one for you. That's what they do. I bought my Pono ATSH directly from them and I've visited HMS back at the end of April. You will not regret it. Also, I think the Cordoba neck is more comfortable to me as I'm still learning because Pono's have thicker necks. That takes a little getting use to, but it's fine. Also, I prefer a gloss finish because if any blemishes happen, it can be easily buffed out. I knicked the headstock of my Pono last year and I was CRYING! I brought my Pono with me when I visited HMS and Andrew buffed out the entire instrument. It's even SHINIER now than when I first received it! Have you considered going a step further and getting the MTD if it's in your budget?

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/pono/pono-mtd-mahogany-tenor-deluxe.html

Here are a few of mahogany tenors that I like as well:

Mainland Mahogany Tenor Slotted Headstock
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pr...04EB.m1plqscsfapp01?productId=65&categoryId=3

Ohana TK-35G (I have the TK-35CG, cutaway and I like the feel of the neck):
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ohana-tk-35g-solid-mahgy-tenor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SxA1D6Odk

KoAloha Opio Tenor:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/koaloha/koaloha-opio-concert-ukulele-package-1625.html

Last edited:
Don't do this to me! Now you have me thinking about it! Are the gloss finish and the ebony faceplate/fret board/bridge worth the extra $128?

Haha, sorry. That's up to you I guess. I don't like satin finishes, always gloss if it's an all solid uke. The tuners on the MTD look cooler. I like ebony better because it's darker so it looks cooler to me. Ebony is an upgrade and the benefit for ebony is it is harder than rosewood so it will last longer. Many customs and pro performers go for ebony. My Pono ATSH has ebony along with ebony binding!

Don't do this to me! Now you have me thinking about it! Are the gloss finish and the ebony faceplate/fret board/bridge worth the extra $128?

I must say that glossy Pono is beautiful. These basic Pono models are not decorated (which is part of their charm) and the gloss does the magic on a simply-looking uke. I also somehow like the "spark" in the tone which "D" version has.

If you think of it as long-term purchase, extra $128 is not that much. If you think you like Ponot MT as well as MTD, why to go with MTD? I just knew if I bought MT, I'd regret not buying MTD afterwards... hope it makes sense. :)

Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited:
I've learned the hard way that $128 is the way to go. However if I was just scraping by I'd not go there.

Right now I'm just a chord strummer accompanying myself as I sing. I do play a song where I end it with a run of single notes on the top three frets. I'd like to learn how to finger pick having some past experience doing some basic finger picks on a guitar years and years ago. Picking melodies seems like it would be pretty difficult.

My experience with my Pono MT (since sold) was that it was a fantastic finger picking uke, but that for strumming it was lacking in "thingness". The sound when finger picked was crisp and clean, but when strummed it came out a little harsh and without much depth. Friends whose judgement I trust much prefered the sound of my concert flea for strumming (and I agree). My father has a Pono ATD and that had a much better sound to my ear when strummed.

Another thing about my MT was that it was far better with higher tension strings. If you like that feel and sound then you'll love the MT - I really liked how solid and well put together it felt.

Oy! Now after listening to sound samples of other ukes, I'm going to have to throw the Pono AT and the Pono ATD into the mix! They both have the warm, rich sound I'd be looking for and they are both a bit more interesting looking than the Pono mahoganys.

If you want acacia wood, that changes many things. Maybe you should go back to choose which wood you prefer, mahogany or acacia. Acacia has a brighter, more woody tone. Mahogany has a warmer tone.

However, a gloss finish also adds to top thickness, which can impact resonance (can, not always does).

I've become skeptical about this.
I use iPad screen protectors as pick/nail/strum guards.

When I first started using them, I was really worried that it might ruin the tone.
But after a/b'ing with/without the sound didn't seem any different.
The iPad screen protectors are thicker than a typical gloss finish.

So what have you decided on?

A decision has yet to be made, I'm still in the process! :cool:

I was actually getting ahead of myself when I started this thread. Until today, I had only ever picked up a tenor once and that was for just 5-10 minutes at best. I wasn't even sure I'd like a tenor. (but I had a pretty good idea that I would) I needed to spend some time playing one to see if I even wanted to continue looking into getting one. As is turns out, I do!

This afternoon I stopped by a music store fairly close to me and spent about an hour sampling various tenor ukes. I was actually surprised and impressed with the number of ukes they had available, easily 3-4 dozen or more. I avoided the real low end/entry stuff and dove into their Lanikais. I was unmoved and only bothered to pick up one and strum it a few times before putting it back on the rack. Next was a couple of Fenders which were equally unimpressive so they too quickly ended up back on their hangers. The bulk of my time was spent playing various Kalas. I kept going back to the all-solid Acacia Kala KA-ASAC-T which I spent the most time with. It was hands down the best sounding of the bunch. I know that HMS sells it and I'd give it strong consideration but I'm not sure I want a slot-head. It looks kinda cool but I'd be worried about future cracks and breakage down the road due to age, stress, accidental drops, etc. It seems like a slot head would be more fragile and susceptible to damage than a solid head uke. Even if it were just as strong, I prefer the look of a solid head. At the very least, the experience has shown me that I need to give very strong consideration to an Acacia uke. I loved the sound.

I think my next step is to contact HMS and ask for their advice and recommendations. Right now the contenders are:

-Cordoba 30T
-Pono MT
-Pono MTD
-Pono AT
-Pono ATD

If that Kala KA-ASAC-T had a solid head, it would definitely be in the running.

I think my next step is to contact HMS and ask for their advice and recommendations. Right now the contenders are:

-Cordoba 30T
-Pono MT
-Pono MTD
-Pono AT
-Pono ATD

If that Kala KA-ASAC-T had a solid head, it would definitely be in the running.

I would skip the Kala. Cordoba also has a solid acacia model as well which is the 35T, but HMS is out of stock at the moment. They seem to sell out of the Cordoba 35T frequently. Zach or Andrew would always be happy to answer any of your questions.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/cordoba-35t-solid-acacia-tenor-package.html

Last edited:
I do not envy you having to make a decision like like without having the instrument in your hands first. Also remember that strings make a huge difference in the character and tone of the sound, so listening to sound samples is a guideline at best.
All I can tell you is that buying from HMS is a good way to ensure that you get a quality product no matter which one you choose. I'm not sure where you live, but Mim's Ukes and Mainland and Uke Republic are great resources too.
Personally, if I were going to buy a Pono, I would get that from HMS. Mainly because Andrew (owner of HMS) is the son of John Kitakis who owns Ko`olau/Pono. If I were buying another brand, and I lived in mainland US, I might just as easily buy from a good shop that was geographically closer, but that is just me.

I can also tell you that my Pono is built exceptionally well, and sounds and plays wonderful. The build quality is above every other import ukulele I have. I think you will be very happy with your Pono. I have tried many different sets of strings over the years, Ko`olau Gold, Hilo, D'Addario, Aquila, Aquila Red, Ko`olau Alohi, Ko`olau Mehana, and finally settled on Worth Brown, which I like very much. The instrument itself has held up very well and has even prevented me from buying a few other ukuleles because they frankly just were not as nice as my Pono is and were much more expensive. I have had it for 8 years now...

Good luck with your purchase!

I would skip the Kala. Cordoba also has a solid acacia model as well which is the 35T, but HMS is out of stock at the moment. They seem to sell out of the Cordoba 35T frequently. Zach or Andrew would always be happy to answer any of your questions.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/cordoba-35t-solid-acacia-tenor-package.html

I am a Pono Fanboy.

I have been playing since Dec 2013 and have owned 7 Ponos. I still own 3 Pro Classic Tenors and a Pro Classic Baritone.

You won't be disappointed with Pono Ukes nor with dealing with HMS. I know a few UU ers who have received something that wasn't "quite what they were looking for". Andrew took it back and helped them find that dream Uke.

A used Pono can be had easily on the board as well.

Good luck.

Top Bottom