Visit Hawaii for first time

Ukejolly

Reaction score
Hello!

I live in Europe and I have never been to Hawaii.

I would love to go there to experience as much as possible about the ukulele. The instrument, artists, bakground, music, culture, stores etc.

Do you have any tips where to go or where to stay or what to visit ? :)

Thank you in advance.

I visited Hawaii for the first time in June, so I will not have as good advice as others in the Forum who know it better.

A few observations of mine:

Every island is different and seeing part of one island can be very different from seeing another part.

Lift your eyes and heart up from your ukulele to experience the culture, sea, earth and sky that gave rise to your beloved instrument.

Pack lightly, with room for the ukulele(s) that may return home with you.

May your visit be as wondrous as mine was. Aloha!

Lovely! What island did you visit and for how long did you stay ?

I adore nature so I think I'm gonna love it overthere.
I was thinking of going by myself since it's a long and expensive trip, and I'm having a hard time finding travelling company here in Finland.

How will I get by by my self as a 23 year old girl ? Should I reconsider this decision?

Best regards!

If you decide to go to Oahu, PM me. My daughter lives in Kailua, is single, and love's to hike. She's been all over from ridges to valleys.
Rocky

Lovely! What island did you visit and for how long did you stay ?

I adore nature so I think I'm gonna love it overthere.
I was thinking of going by myself since it's a long and expensive trip, and I'm having a hard time finding travelling company here in Finland.

How will I get by by my self as a 23 year old girl ? Should I reconsider this decision?

Best regards!

I travelled on a Perillo tour; it was terrific. I went to Oahu, Maui and the Big Island. I didn't get to see Kauii, but hope to visit there someday.

I'm fascinated to write someone from Finland! I'm a huge Moomin fan! Yay Tove!

If you decide to go, I really would pm Rocky;so very kind of him to mention his daughter!

I travelled on a Perillo tour; it was terrific. I went to Oahu, Maui and the Big Island. I didn't get to see Kauii, but hope to visit there someday.

I'm fascinated to write someone from Finland! I'm a huge Moomin fan! Yay Tove!

If you decide to go, I really would pm Rocky;so very kind of him to mention his daughter!

Your trip sounds amazing! It seems that every island is worth visiting and exploring. Maybe backpacking would be a good option there.

Yes, Moomin is popular here in Finland. There is this place close to Helsinki where there is a valley of "Moomin" .

Yoooo! I've lived in Oahu nearly all my life, so I know quite a bit about the island. Idk much about any of the other islands, though.

The Roy Sakuma Ukulele Festival's coming up if you're planning to travel to Oahu soon! I hear a good amount of UUers gather there, but I've never met up with them. Maybe that'll change this year xD

If you're looking to listen to some solid uke players, I'd recommend walking down Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki. There's a ton of street performers at night, and some of them play the uke. If you want to jam with some locals and tourists, I'd say your best bet is in Waikiki Beach. It's always pretty crowded there, I'm sure you'll find someone. If you're more into the luthier/buying side of ukes, you can take a tour of the Kamaka Ukulele factory or go to the Aloha Swap Meet for a solid selection of ukes.

If you want to experience Hawaii in general, it's important to know that Hawaii is a pretty outdoorsy place. There's a lot of beaches, hiking trails, and scenic points here. My favorites are Waimea Bay, Koko Crater Railway Trail, and Pali Lookout.

I hope you do decide to come to Hawaii! You won't regret it!

Your trip sounds amazing! It seems that every island is worth visiting and exploring. Maybe backpacking would be a good option there.

Yes, Moomin is popular here in Finland. There is this place close to Helsinki where there is a valley of "Moomin" .

Backpacking may not be the best option. I'm not sure that a trail system will take you where you want to go. Hiking is a good idea, buy maybe not as an exclusive transportation plan. It also may not be a wise plan for Honolulu. Having an accommodations plan is a must, I think.

There was a Moomin store at Lahaina on Maui a few years ago.

One of my favourite books is still Moominland Midwinter. I just love the atmosphere. I read it as a child,and it's stayed with me for almost 50 years.

There was a Moomin store at Lahaina on Maui a few years ago.

One of my favourite books is still Moominland Midwinter. I just love the atmosphere. I read it as a child,and it's stayed with me for almost 50 years.

Wow! You made my day- another uke player who loves Moomins! I read my first Moomin book in the mid-70s. In 2014 I started reading them all again. THey are just as beautiful to an adult! I'm in "Moominpapa at Sea" presently.
I, too, loved Midwinter. Have you considered returning to them? I'd highly recommend it!

So sorry for this diversion in the thread - and yet, not.:)

Yoooo! I've lived in Oahu nearly all my life, so I know quite a bit about the island. Idk much about any of the other islands, though.

The Roy Sakuma Ukulele Festival's coming up if you're planning to travel to Oahu soon! I hear a good amount of UUers gather there, but I've never met up with them. Maybe that'll change this year xD

If you're looking to listen to some solid uke players, I'd recommend walking down Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki. There's a ton of street performers at night, and some of them play the uke. If you want to jam with some locals and tourists, I'd say your best bet is in Waikiki Beach. It's always pretty crowded there, I'm sure you'll find someone. If you're more into the luthier/buying side of ukes, you can take a tour of the Kamaka Ukulele factory or go to the Aloha Swap Meet for a solid selection of ukes.

If you want to experience Hawaii in general, it's important to know that Hawaii is a pretty outdoorsy place. There's a lot of beaches, hiking trails, and scenic points here. My favorites are Waimea Bay, Koko Crater Railway Trail, and Pali Lookout.

I hope you do decide to come to Hawaii! You won't regret it!

Hi! Thank you for all the information. I've been googleing it all! Very interesting and beautiful places.

I found a painting of Pali Lookout, The Battle of Nu'uanu. Now I have to check out all the Hawaii'an history as well. :D

I get kind of manic since i found this forum. I don't know why it took me so long to become a member. Youtube has been my source of knowledge since i started playing, but since i joined this forum I can't stop finding new unknown things about ukuleles and Hawaii etc. I really have to go to Hawaii.

Thanks to this site and all its members!

Here in Finland we have a big collection of Moomin coffee cups and plates. I got my first the day I was born. :)

I also have a cup and plate!

You'll be our Snufkin with traveling all the way to Hawaii.

Have you heard Eddie Vedder's "Ukulele Songs" disc? Perhaps you can listen. Neil Young 's song "Tumbleweed" is also beautiful.

Hawaii is paradise. I always wanted to go, but after I started playing ukulele it got in my blood. I HAD to go. I can completely relate to your desire to see it.

I also have a cup and plate!

You'll be our Snufkin with traveling all the way to Hawaii.

Have you heard Eddie Vedder's "Ukulele Songs" disc? Perhaps you can listen. Neil Young 's song "Tumbleweed" is also beautiful.

Hawaii is paradise. I always wanted to go, but after I started playing ukulele it got in my blood. I HAD to go. I can completely relate to your desire to see it.

Snufkin is so awesome
I've heard some of Eddie's songs, I will listen to the rest right away!
Youtube is such a good source of information and tutorials. Before I knew about this forum I was at youtube everyday learning new stuff

This Hawaii desire of mine grows stronger every day. I really have to go.
I can't decide which island to visit. Perhaps I should visit everyone at seperate times.
There is alot of interesting history there.

So many things to do, bishop museum, north shore, kahuku shrimp trucks, uke factory tours,
Iolani palace, only palace in the us, tantalus, olf pali road, punchbowl. National cemetary of the pacific,
Ala moana, chinatown, waikiki, lanikai beach, makapuu, sandy beach, waimea, pipeline, kanikapila grill,
Holoholo bar and grill music nites, uke classes at the royal hawaiian shopping center, polynesian cultural center
Run by mormons, haleiwa, kamaka, kosloha, kanilea, koolau and Hawaii mudic store. There is a disney resort aulani,
Of course the diamond head hike too ...have fun on Oahu..

I'll be visiting Hawaii for the first time next year on my honeymoon, I can't wait! We're still in the planning stages but definitely want to spend some time in Kauai.

Top Bottom