Kamaka 100th anniversary plan - WOW $$$$

It's beginning to sound like having a very nice uke is soon going to be out of range for most players. I think that's sad. I deserve one but can't have it, cause it's all about money.

Wah!

Aw, Nickie :( I suppose that depends on how you define "nice" - while I've definitely paid more for other ukes, my "nicest" sounding and playing one is a Kamaka I bought second hand on Craigslist for $500; it was a complete impulse buy, I had not been actively uke-shopping, but it happened at a time when I had a bit of mad money saved up. I'm convinced that eventually you'll find your nice uke - or more accurately, it will find you!

Last edited:
I'll probably buy one of the 100 anniversary models just to have one with the decal. It depends on how much a of a premium it will cost. I'm kind of hoping for a cedar topped ohta-san.

I want the same model, too! Fastest fingers first? :)

As many long-time UUers know, there are other ukes at $10k+, such as classic Martin 5ks and brand-new Eric DeVine ukuleles. (Heck, some of us might recall someone wanting ten grand for Tiny Tim's ukulele on eBay three years ago...lol. And remember Bob Dylan's uke...lol)

That said, I doubt a 100 Year Anniversary Kamaka will have any added value on resale for at least 50 or more years...and then only if the ukulele is a "thing" at the time. So, if it sounds better, great; otherwise, it's a nonstarter (but, Daniel is right...they will sell).

I'm with the mindset of Janeray and a few others: I wouldn't pay extra for the label on the standard models (if Kamaka decides to upcharge for it; currently, that's unclear).

Last edited:
I could easily be tempted to drop 10 or 11 on a luscious MB, but probably would set a cap of about 3 for a factory Kamaka.

Let's start a 500.00 lottery tickets and pick the name from a random generator. ..only need 20 people :)

KoAloha is also doing a limited edition uke, but unfortunately only for the Japanese market. I have a feeling that's where Kamaka will sell a bunch of this one too.

I love my stock Kamaka soprano that I bought used right here off of UU. However, if I ever spent the big big bucks on a uke it'd be a soprano MB with some simple inlay.

Here is the problem that I have with the concept of a relatively low price ceiling people seem to apply to ukuleles (well, they are "just" ukuleles after all)...

When I say "relatively low price ceiling", I am thinking of other small instruments that can cost a lot more than $10,000. Violins, are a good example. I have played guitar for many years. For a long time, most people among the general population (outside a relatively few guitar aficionados), it would be considered the epitome of stupidity for anyone to pay even $1,000 for a guitar. Yet, when it comes to violins, it is perfectly acceptable for a professional instrument to cost in excess of $100,000. Musicians who play such instruments typically have a "sponsor" purchase for that musician's use. With the baby boomers becoming a significant portion of this market, for whom the guitar has long been the voice of a generation, it has become acceptable to pay $5,000 to MAYBE $10,000 for a decent hand made custom instrument.

I recently got into learning to play the recorder. I bought an inexpensive set of 4 that are plastic but still good quality. However, I was surprised to discover that a person can pay in excess of $8,000 for a fine professional wood instrument.

When are ukuleles going to get their due as "real" instruments worthy of craftsmanship that comes with a price?

Granted, the 100th anniversary Kamaka may be "jacked up" a bit because of its specific marketing value to some collectors, but I can still see a decent instrument costing serious money. That doesn't mean that in order to get a good ukulele, one must pay big money, just as their are many excellent guitars that are very affordable. However, there must be some aspect of building that would attract a craftsperson willing to spend the time to excel at it the way that Ervin Somogyi or Jim Olson do with their guitars.

Just my thoughts on this...

Tony

I would certainly love to have a Kamaka anniversary edition ukulele. But I am a realist living in the real world raising three children, one currently in medical college. Therefore, if I want a very nice sounding, playing and looking solid wood ukulele, say under $600.00, I have to look no further than the higher-end Oscar Schmidt offering, for example,. Some may chuckle or turn a cheek to that suggestion, but then that person probably hasn't played one and hasn't discovered the satisfying secrets of frugality. 😎

That said, congratulations to Kamaka on their upcoming 100th anniversary!

Like beauty, expense is in the eye of the beholder. I think Kamaka is making ukes of a quality on a par with, or better than, may popular custom builders. When you compare the prices, a Kamaka is a relative bargain. i won't be getting the special 100th anniversary model, but if the price of the 100th anniversary models is not out of line with the current models, I'm hoping to get the Ohta San in a 100th anniversary version.

I have a Kamaka pineapple on the way. Buying it from a fellow UU'er has allowed me to have Kamaka within my budget with enough money left over to purchase a 100 yr anniversary Kamaka tee shirt which I certainly hope they print for those of us who can not afford a special edition 100 anniversary uke!

Agree with Fretie re the t shirt!

I don't see myself buying an anniversary uke because of its designation. The only way I would even consider the purchase is if somehow it would present something I don't find in one of the ukes I currently own. That would be in regard to type of wood/model characteristics/sound. I don't anticipate that happening, though I hold Kamaka ukuleles in very, very high regard.

Where can I get a kamaka slotted head stock ukulele I can't find one anywhere.

Do you think that a 10K MB or the Anniversary Kamaka will hold it's value best?

I hate to resurrect this thread but did Kamaka actually release this ukulele? I haven't seen anything on this after NAMM. I was just curious.

I guess I should have been more specific, I am asking about the special limited edition 100year pineapple. Has anyone heard anything on these instruments?

Top Bottom