Ukulele Haiku - 1 min songlets

joo

Reaction score
Dear uke-ing friends,
Welcome to UKULELE HAIKU – 1 minute homemade Haiku songlets!

Thanks to Birds Eye for letting me use her video as the intro video!!! It's perfect!!!

Here's a little written intro.

It all started when I was doing some housework. I started humming and then singing a songlet that went :

"Rainbows are like spiderwebs, the bait is at the end. When you think you've got it made, you're walking to your death."

When that happened, the theme for the Seasons was Rainbows, so I quickly recorded it and posted it on the thread.

I threw the idea of adding additional verses to it to my lovely seasonista brothers and sisters, not really expecting anyone to jump into it.

I was pleasantly surprised that not 1, but FIVE of you did your own version of this songlet!!! In a week. And they were all so well done!

Here is the playlist :
Rainbow and Spiderwebs family.

A few of you have expressed an interest in some sort of massive collaboration where someone comes up with something simple-
a work-in-progress or a reference, and then the rest of us can expand on it.

I like collaborating, but I think it is more fun that each of us do our own interpretations of a same reference(s), at our own pace and time.

Linda ( lelouden) suggested that it would be a good idea to start a thread just on it, and keep it on-going.

So here it is : Ukulele Haiku!

(I am using the word Haiku here because the songlets will be super short like a Haiku,
but the lyrics or structure of your songlet(s) DO NOT have to be like a traditional haiku. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku)

This is how it plays :

1. The Haiku songlet DOES NOT need to be in the haiku format. Just any small song will do too!

2. Each of the Haiku songlet must not exceed 1 minute.

3. The ukulele must be the main instrument if you want to play other instruments too.

4. Anyone can post a reference that acts as an inspiration for the Haiku songlet.
The reference can be an image, a word or haiku or poem or an excerpt from a book, an audio recording or a short video. Up to you.
Something that you think will make our brains burst into a song-----let!

5. You can choose to respond to ANY of the references posted in this thread. This is on-going.

6. You can also choose NOT TO respond to the references here. Just bring your own homemade Haiku songlets!

7. You can post as many Haiku songlets as you like. This is on-going.

8. Your Haiku songlet can be just instrumental too.

9. When we play it's more fun to break the "rules". Although this is not a list of rules.

10. If you are going with "rule" no.5, but need some existing material for inspiration, there was a Uke Haiku Contest here at UU.
Check that out! Fun stuff! Some of you might also want to turn your existing uke haiku into songlets.

Let's have fun!

P L A Y L I S T

Last edited:
Uke Haiku #1 : inspired by the painting "Nap"

Here is the first entry. Inspired by the image as shown in the video.

Uke Haiku #2 : inspired by the drawing " Good Kid"

Another one. There is a surprise at the end of the video. Don't look away.

Last edited:
Reference #1 : Mr. Ralph's Self Portraits

Hope this will inspire you to write a Uke Haiku! This is inspired by photographer Ralph Eugene Meatyard.

Mr.%2BRalph%2527s%2Bself%2Bportraits%2Bcopy.jpg

Last edited:
Reference #2 : Baby

Girl%2Band%2Bbaby%2Bcopy.jpg

Reference #3 : The Music Lesson

Music%2BTeacher.jpg

Reference #4 : Possessions

Possessions.jpg

AWESOME, LYNDA!!! Thanks for your UKE Haiku songlet!!!

Oh man it's all me posting on this thread so far, LOL! Here is a wonderful video that Rob (WGY) did based on a haiku.

Great idea. One my favorite groups from my youth is the Minutemen, who prided themselves (at first) with having one minute songs.
Here's one about the mother and baby picture. She looks a little conflicted and resentful to me. That's what I'm going with anyway. The post partum blues, meanest blues of all.
http://youtu.be/kl5gxHFl_rA

P.S. - As a male identifying person with typical male plumbing and wiring, I know near nothing about postpartum depression, and I am sure there is much more to that phenomenon than is implied here. This is not intended to belittle or take away from anyone's feelings or experience. Really.

Last edited:
OMG!!!!!! PeeWee!!!!! That was so cool and, sorry steal your word Lynda, great, and fab!!!

And, yes, I made the young mother look resentful on purpose.
I was looking at portraits of mothers and most of them were portrayed with much tenderness.
I have met and known mothers who reveal their darker sides to me, even though they try to hide that.
So, for a period of time I painted some resentful looking mothers, and women. Because that's what I saw.

Awesome interpretation, PeeWee!!!
I have often found your observations very sharp and spot on, when you comment on songs.
This is just brilliant.

Last edited:
OMG!!!!!! PeeWee!!!!! That was so cool and, sorry steal your word Lynda, great, and fab!!!

And, yes, I made the young mother look very resentful on purpose.
I was looking at portraits of mothers and most of them were portrayed with much tenderness.
I have met and known mothers who reveal their darker sides to me, even though they try to hide that.
So, for a period of time I painted some resentful looking mothers, and women. Because that's what I saw.

Awesome interpretation, PeeWee!!!
I have often found your observations very sharp and spot on, when you comment on songs.
This is just brilliant.

Thanks! I remember reading that at some point every new parent will want to throw their baby across the room. I'm not sure that's exactly true, but I get the point. I'm merely a dad, but there are definitely many emotional layers to becoming a parent, it can only be more intense for the mom, who has more skin in the game, if you will.

I was going to say more about the painting, in response to what you said, Peewee, but I won't.
In case anyone else wants to write a songlet about that!

Reference : Sooty is missing

Another one! Please feel free to post "references" to stimulate our uke-ing muscles!

sooty.jpg

Reference : Rustyy wears a red hat

This one you know. :D

Rustyy.jpg

Sooty haiku:

Missing Cat: Sooty
Last seen on Mount Pleasant Drive
"Here, kitty, kitty!"

can't wait to hear it turn into songlet, Wendy!

Top Bottom