Intonation problem with new low G string

jzzlvr

Reaction score
Good folks of the Ukulele Underground forum, I need some advice! Been a long-time reader, first-time poster.

I recently got a new Cordoba 30T tenor from HMS - wonderful setup and playability. Judging from the action on this pro setup uke, I decided that the action on my old Kala tenor is too high and proceeded to sand down the saddle after watching/reading lots of instructions. All went well, action was down to 3mm from >3.5mm or so to start. I didn't go any lower because Kala website had a note about not lowering further than 3mm and it does look like I would get buzzing if I had gone further. So with the old Aquila strings, I had no buzzing and did not notice any intonation issues. All was good.

About 4 days ago I put on a low G Worth clear string on this Kala. I know the string is still stretching and it's not staying in tune yet, but I'm now noticing an intonation problem when there was none before (or at least not to the point that I noticed). If I tune the low G to pitch, fretting down on any fret (from the first fret onward) would be 10-20 cents sharp, according to my tuner. Tuning the fifth fret of the low G to C, then fretted notes are fine, but the open G is flat.

I've read other threads with similar problems; however, I don't know if it is really a problem with the uke setup, or it is because the string is still stretching? My hunch is that it can't be the latter if the intonation is off only between fretted and open, and that I would need to file down the nut slot to accommodate the thicker low G string, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. Should I wait until the string stops stretching? I've also read some threads about restringing the new string in the other direction (swapping end for end), but I haven't done so because logically it doesn't make sense to me (but I'm happy to be proven wrong as well, because this is easier than adjusting the nut slot).

Any input very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Underground, seems like you've done a lot of research already.

Before doing anything rushed, I'd wait for that string to settle. However, the problem might have to do with the fact that the Worth string is unwound and therefore thicker than a wound string (or a high G string, for that matter). Thicker strings tend to intonate sharper. You could try a wound low G string like the Fremont Soloist to see if that will improve intonation.

Welcome to the Underground, seems like you've done a lot of research already.

Before doing anything rushed, I'd wait for that string to settle. However, the problem might have to do with the fact that the Worth string is unwound and therefore thicker than a wound string (or a high G string, for that matter). Thicker strings tend to intonate sharper. You could try a wound low G string like the Fremont Soloist to see if that will improve intonation.
that was my suggestion too. first wait a few days, if no improvement try a different string , that could be the issue and an easy fix.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I have tried a low G wound string before (classical guitar D string) on a different ukulele. Didn't like it, just felt too much like a guitar and sounded too different from the other strings. Ideally I would like to make it work with an unwound low G; if it's not possible, I can go back to high G... but there must be a way to make it work, right? :)

Sure, I guess that you'd have to add more compensation to that string. Is intonation going increasingly sharper as you play up the fretboard? In this case, you'd have to move the contact point on the saddle backwards, i.e. away from the fretboard, to make the scale slightly longer for just that particular string.

One more thing, strings intonate sharp from being pressed down and bent too hard. In that case, lowering the action might help. So yes, filing down the slot at the nut might just do the trick.

I use Worth all plain low G strings - no need to file the nut larger if you want to go back to high G.

Is intonation going increasingly sharper as you play up the fretboard?

I don't think so. From what I remember, if I tune the fifth fret to the C, then all frets are fine, only open string was flat. But I will double-check when I get home.

My problematic string is the plain Worth low G. Intonation seemed fine with the old thinner high G Aquila.

Sounds like the consensus is I should wait until the string settles more (which I agree with, just feeling impatient to make it good again!). I'll wait another week and see. Meanwhile, let me know if you have any suggestions. Will keep you updated.

Top Bottom