Season 178: "Tell me a story"

Tootler

Reaction score

Play and record a song that tells a story. The song can be of any genre but the lyrics must have a clear narrative in them, that is, there should be a sequence of linked events.

Covers and originals are both encouraged.

The rules are pretty much standard:

* The Ukulele should be prominent in your video but does not have to be present all the time. Feel free to use the visual aspect of your video to illustrate the story.
* Maximum of three entries. If you want to do more send the rest to the misfit island but add a note in this thread that you have done that and I will try and listen if I have time.
* Multi tracking, use of effects etc. are permitted.
* Your entries should be a new recording made especially for this season. Please no "dual use videos". If you have used a video for season 177 which could work for season 178, it will not be valid for season 178 as well and will not be included in the playlist.
* No entries before 00.00am Sunday July 12th and end 00.00pm Sunday July 19th Hawaii time.

* If you want to post old recordings as bonus items, please put them on the misfit island and add a note in this thread and again, I will try and listen if I have time.

Prizes will probably just be certificates.

Playlist

Last edited:
Geoff,

This is a winner! Love the theme, and imagine the possibilities ...

great theme, freddy boy did a similar theme pretty much exactly a year ago in season 127, but i don't think it is humanly possible for us to keep re-inventing the wheel every week, we are after all a million years into the seasons now! i for one have some more stories to tell, and am delighted to see this theme tonight!

great intro vid and i must say very charming and sensible idea to have a song limit but that you'll look at extras on the island if you can, whoever it is that keeps posting a gazillion songs a week, what a pain in the rear, if someone tells me who this dreadful person is i will gladly go and give her a kick in the pants, i know for a fact, well the gossip is, she has chores to do but never does them because of all this mad uke-ing she does

Wonderful theme! There are several story songs that I remembered after Fred's Season. And I thought to myself "I hope someone else does a story Season sometime because I'd love to do these songs for some other Season". And now here it is! And since I'm heading off to music camp tomorrow (and will probably be without internet all next week) I'll be recording tonight. I don't want to miss your Season Tootler!

Quite a few Charlie Daniels songs come to mind. He has a lot of songs that tell stories.

The scuttlebutt is that this prolific poster never has time to wash their hair so they never show their head! Can you imagine being so possessed by a simple instrument! Really!
great theme, freddy boy did a similar theme pretty much exactly a year ago in season 127, but i don't think it is humanly possible for us to keep re-inventing the wheel every week, we are after all a million years into the seasons now! i for one have some more stories to tell, and am delighted to see this theme tonight!

great intro vid and i must say very charming and sensible idea to have a song limit but that you'll look at extras on the island if you can, whoever it is that keeps posting a gazillion songs a week, what a pain in the rear, if someone tells me who this dreadful person is i will gladly go and give her a kick in the pants, i know for a fact, well the gossip is, she has chores to do but never does them because of all this mad uke-ing she does

Snicker, snicker Lynda :eek:

I got so excited about the Season that I've already done and loaded a song. Midnight in HI.....OH....come on, come on!

The scuttlebutt is that this prolific poster never has time to wash their hair so they never show their head! Can you imagine being so possessed by a simple instrument! Really!

HAHA. Now, that's funny.

Now...correct me if I am wrong. I do not know any songs with lyrics that do not tell a story.
Too broad?
I reckon the story is up to the listener in music.

Now...correct me if I am wrong. I do not know any songs with lyrics that do not tell a story.
Too broad?

was sorta think'n the same thing mate...

great theme, freddy boy did a similar theme pretty much exactly a year ago in season 127, but i don't think it is humanly possible for us to keep re-inventing the wheel every week, we are after all a million years into the seasons now!

I did a check on previous themes and somehow missed Fred's week otherwise, I'd have chosen a different theme. It's done now so let's embrace it. You are right, though, Lynda it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep thinking up original themes.

Too broad?

Well yes, you could stretch the definition* of story to encompass any song. However I think that would be against the spirit of the theme. For the purpose of this theme, a story is a sequence of linked events. I'll edit the OP to reflect this.

Blowing In The Wind, for example does not count as a story in my view as it is basically a set of questions, linked - yes but not a series of events.

* Story definition: An account or recital of an event or a series of events, either true or fictitious

Top Bottom