Has anyone tired any of the Bonanza Ukuleles?

Captain Simian

Reaction score
They're made out of countertop material and they offer all 4 sizes. From the sound samples I've heard the baritone sounds sloppy to me, the concert balanced and clear. I'm intrigued and may get one of these instead of a KPK pineapple.

http://www.bonanzaukuleles.com/shop.html

Looks interesting. I have inquired about info. Concert sounded good. Agee on the Bari. I'm a tenor player so interested in that. Thanks for the heads up. If I'm not mistaken , Martin uses HPL on their onyx series so no reason these should not be good. I like idea for travel ukulele which is currently a Fluke tenor?.....

looks interesting but that page link to the shop just gives me a sad face inside the frame.

The choices (so many!) seem like picking out new countertops!

I played several at UWC. Ok for an outdoor or camping Uke, but I don't think I would want one for every day.
They are pretty, but I will stick with my Clara.

Interesting, so are they plywood covered with Formica, or are they Corian? I'm guessing not granite.;) I couldn't get the pricing to come up.

Last edited:
Interesting, so are they plywood covered with Formica, or are they Corian? I'm guessing not granite.;) I couldn't get the pricing to come up.

Rats, I was hoping for granite. :(

Just emailed asking about nut widths:

Baritone 1.5 inches
Tenor 1.4375 inches.
Concert 1.4 inches.
Soprano 1.375 inches.

I just got a baritone on Thursday but immediately had to leave town on business. Since it is nearly indestructible I brought it with me and am having a fun time playing it! I am planning to do a full review when I get back. It is an excellent buy for the money. My wife commented that this is her favorite sounding uke I own.

From the sound samples I've heard the baritone sounds sloppy to me, the concert balanced and clear.

The strings that came on my baritone are VERY floppy and all over the place! I haven't had a chance to put on some other strings, but I believe it will help a great deal! I've experimented with tuning to get more tension on the stock strings the sloppiness went away.

I'm now convinced that baritones tuned to G just don't sound all that great which is why I bought a tenor guitar. I have a laminate B&J bari that really came to life when I strung it up for C tuning.

Getting more and more tempted by the Bonanza ukes.

IToo bad the don't make the tenors as six or eight strings. Would probably try one if they came that way.

I've had a Bonanza concert for about 6 months. Plays well. Sounds very good. Probably shouldn't do this, but I leave it in the trunk of my car. About a week ago, someone needed to borrow a uke at a jam. So, I went out and got my Bonanza. I let the jammer use my "good" uke, and I played my Bonanza. I tuned it up and played it as soon as I got it inside. The kicker - the temperature outside (Minnesota) was -10 F. Yes, minus 10 F! Played and sounded like a champ. At $200, my Bonanza "formica" uke is a winner. I'd buy it again in a minute. It's worth much more than the price Bonanza charges.

I love my Bonanza, snocrvr. It was everything I wanted for an office uke. Although it's very sturdy and no doubt will last forever, the very thin laminate top contributes to a surprisingly clear and bell-like sound. Highly recommended!

I have a solid cherry Bonanza long-neck soprano that I may sell soon (thinning the herd). Plays great. Intonation is perfect. If interested, PM me. Can send photos, etc.

Top Bottom