Pono MB versus MBD

Ken608

Reaction score
I have a Pono MTD which I love.

I want to buy a nice baritone so I figured I couldn't go wrong with the same thing in a baritone which would be model MBD.

I bought my MTD from HMS and got a first class setup and service so I would like to buy the baritone from them. They currently only have a MB and don't know when they will get another MBD.

I would like your opinions on the MB versus MBD. Many of the posts I've read state they actually like the MB more than the MBD. I enjoy lower mellow sounds.

Changing the subject somewhat, I'd like to have unwound strings yet retain the low baritone sound. In fact, it would be ideal if I had strings with low G GCEA tuning but were pitched with that mellow low sound of a baritone. Why learn all new chord shapes if not necessary?

Your input on both the MB versus MBD as well as the strings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

I have several Pono ukes to compare, and one thing that I find is that the ones with a Satin finish have a more open sound, while the ones with a Gloss finish tend to be more focussed and compressed. Perhaps it might be interesting for you to have a model that differs from the one that you have...?

As for tuning the Baritone to DGBE: The chord shapes are exactly the same, only the names differ: C shape will be a G chord, G shape will be a D chord, D shape will be an A chord, and so on. Actually, you could simply transpose your music, either play it in a lower key or write down C when you want to hear a G etc.

Difference between these two is primarily cosmetic. There are sound differences between ukes that have the same finish. It's the thickness of the finish that affects sound, not whether it's gloss or satin. Many gloss finishes are simply buffed out satin finishes anyway. That's why there is always risk in a mail-order uke purchase when you have narrow expectations regarding it's sound. Great dealers have been known to play them side by side, on the phone, or send you a video demo. I personally like the elegant low gloss I get when I polish my satin ukes as do some other's here. If you really want another, I'd suggest you keep your eyes open for a great used one, perhaps a different model of Pono or a brand like a Mele perhaps?

What do you use to polish your satin ukes? No affect on sound?

There have been several threads on this. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...up-our-ukuleles&highlight=polish+satin+finish Many use a fine compound designed as a scratch and haze remover for autos. I recently purchased some Stewmac fine polishing compound and some swirl remover. The Flitz plastic polish I had worked well too. I use old t-shirt material to apply it (retired military here - many spit shined shoes) and a microfiber washcloth I got at the Dollar store to buff it off. Buffing it off before it's completely dry worked well for me. As I said, the only thing that affects sound is the thickness of the finish, or in some cases the kind of finish, not whether it's gloss or satin.

Last edited:
the deluxe will be more durable...but also cost more.

I vote MBD

Top Bottom