Rubin Ukes -> Caramel Ukes

I really LOVE the new soundhole designs! Is Caramel sneaking up on Luna Guitars and Ukuleles?

I really LOVE the new soundhole designs! Is Caramel sneaking up on Luna Guitars and Ukuleles?

Nickie I ordered a tenor from another maker, it is called Strong Wind and is mahagony laminate, the top is only .075" versus the Caramel zebra wood top which is .088". Comparing it to the Caramel tenor I am inclined to favour the sound coming from the thinner top. The sound is everything as we all know. The new acquisition has a tie bridge which I changed to a string through as is my custom.
I also had to adjust the nut and the saddle to my liking. Here are a couple of shots.
String_thru_IMG_7414.jpgRosette_IMG_7398.jpg

Yes! And I've been planning on buying several Caramels for some local kids...
Now... which of the new ones will I buy?? ^^

(I hope the company makes several of the new designs in models other than just soprano.)

Today my All sold spruce / mahogany concert ukulele arrived! I was surprised that there were batteries already installed! They forgot to send the case, and will ship that out tomorrow. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but so far I think it has a bright nice sound. The only thing is, when I checked the intonation on the 12th fret, it seems the E and A strings are off. When I look down the neck, there might be a slight twist. Would this cause the intonation being off? I'm learning but I'm not sure about what causes intonation problems. I used the built in tuner and will test again with a different tuner tomorrow. Thanks for any insights! I also have a lanikai concert ukulele (all laminate). I'm going to check that one and compare them tomorrow.
The finish on this ukulele is flawless, and quite attractive. The design around the sound hole is gorgeous!
So far I am quite happy with it! I will give more feedback after I get a chance to play it some more!

Rechecked the tuning on the 12th fret with an external tuner, and it's spot on! This ukulele has a nice sound and excellent sustain. I might have to get me a solid tenor -if they ever get the back in stock again!

Last edited:
Nickie I ordered a tenor from another maker, it is called Strong Wind and is mahagony laminate, the top is only .075" versus the Caramel zebra wood top which is .088". Comparing it to the Caramel tenor I am inclined to favour the sound coming from the thinner top. The sound is everything as we all know. The new acquisition has a tie bridge which I changed to a string through as is my custom.
I also had to adjust the nut and the saddle to my liking. Here are a couple of shots.
View attachment 99036View attachment 99034

Congrats on the new uke! How did you change the bridge?

Tie-bridge-&-stringthrough_.jpgOriginal-tie-bridge-holes_I.jpgDrill-bit-sizes_IMG_7421.jpg
Congrats on the new uke! How did you change the bridge?
Here are some shots showing how I change the tie bridge to be a string-through Nickie.
Drill bits used for string-through mod. Usually I can just drill with the #61 drill but if the C string is bigger than .037" or .038" then I'll use the #55 drill bit. Here are the string gauges on this particular ukulele. g = .025" C = .037" E = .031" A = .023"
# 61 = .038 "
# 55 = .051"
1/16 = .0625"
Here are the holes in the bridge for the tie bridge and my string through modification. You can see the holes in the bridge close to the top of the sound board, then my string-through going down into the bridge.

Last edited:
Caramel seems to be out of stock on their pocket ukes, but there's a CP100 Zebrawood 17" Sopranino available on eBAY from a private party..

I see Caramel offer left-handed versions of quite a few of their acoustic-electric models now. I'm just going to have to try their soprano when I have a spare $58, not that I need another one, but it's so rare to see a supplier offer a left-handed electric option it would be churlish of me not to buy one if I can!

Very quiet in here lately! I still enjoy my Caramels daily! Hope you are still enjoying yours!

I contacted Caramel to see if they were going to make one of their new sound hole designs (gecko, turtle, coconut tree, etc.) models in a tenor or baritone, and Chris replied, "We have no plan to make them in tenor or baritone size within 2017."

I have been playing around with a CB-500 Rosewood Baritone and a Rubin RT-501 Rosewood Tenor that last few days. It is amazing how much sound they can project with those little sound holes. I put a new set of D'Addario Titanium strings on the Bari and wow it does have some base response.

They are 'non-traditional in looks, but do sound really nice. I'm putting a review together to show them with my humble strumming. Hope to have it up this week.

Of course I play my Caramels & Rubins everyday and like them, despite having a couple of Ohana's that cost 3-5 times what my Caramel/Rubins cost. The Ohanas are well worth their price but the Caramels are worth more than theirs.

Last edited:
Maybe Caramel is putting more of their resources toward getting US operations setup. I did see somewhere that they do have an operation in the US (at least for returns) as that was one of their goals for this year. I know they did promise some new designs but they seem to be having trouble keeping up with production on some of the older models. I have noticed they have trouble keeping acacia ukes in stock. Maybe this has more to do with the supply of this type of wood. I don't know for sure, just speculating. I remain very happy with my two tenors.

Anyway, I hope people weren't discouraged by one bad review online. The internet sometimes can put the wrong people in the spotlight and give their opinions weight over the actual truth. Truth always wins in the end. We have seen many, many more examples of good Caramel ukes to point to than we have seen bad ones.

So keep the faith fellow ukers! I may pick up one of those baritones this year!!!!!

Congrats Jeremy! You play very well. Looks and sounds like you got a really good deal!
There is no need to spend thousands or even hundreds to get a good uke!

Thank you for playing your Caramel Baritone for us. I really enjoyed your comparison, playing with and without the pickup. As you say Dooke, the workmanship and attention to detail both inside and outside is very well done. The book matching of the Zebra wood is nice. I like the new bridge and the bridge pins. Here is a shot of my tenor. Sorry it is not a baritone like yours but the top and bridge are comparable. Jim.MapleLeaf_IMG_7397_2.jpgRosette_IMG_7398.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for playing your Caramel Baritone for us. I really enjoyed your comparison, playing with and without the pickup. As you say Dooke, the workmanship and attention to detail both inside and outside is very well done. The book matching of the Zebra wood is nice. I like the new bridge and the bridge pins. Here is a shot of my tenor. Sorry it is not a baritone like yours but the top and bridge are comparable. Jim.View attachment 100930View attachment 100931

Sorry, didn't want people to think this was me. It is not. I was just looking for some Caramel Baritone reviews and came across this one and wanted to share. I am thinking about getting one. I have a TV Pal Baritone but don't want to put any wear on it. This seems like a nice low cost, well built uke. I have two Caramel tenors sans the bridge pins. Yours looks great, Jim!

Post number 406 in this thread is me comparing my two Caramel tenors.

I went to your posting 406 and I was pleased. I think for my old ears I liked the mahogany sound of the tenor a wee bit better than the zebra wood, although it is a topic for discussion all by itself regarding the tone woods. I am glad you liked my little maple leaf rosette add on. Jim.

Top Bottom