Rubin Ukes -> Caramel Ukes

I went to your posting 406 and I was pleased. I think for my old ears I liked the mahogany sound of the tenor a wee bit better than the zebra wood, although it is a topic for discussion all by itself regarding the tone woods. I am glad you liked my little maple leaf rosette add on. Jim.

Thanks, Jim! I agree, the mahogany is a little sweeter! Love the maple leaf!

And to what do my wondering eyes appear...

I have Worth brown baritone strings on it in this video. I have used the Worth brown Fat, G string from a Tenor set as a hi d, and like it better, but I am looking for a brighter sound. I changed the strings on my neighbors CB-500 rosewood Caramel Baritone to D'Addario Titaniums and they sounded really nice on it. I may try them next but wound 3&4 are not my bag.

I have Worth brown baritone strings on it in this video. I have used the Worth brown Fat, G string from a Tenor set as a hi d, and like it better, but I am looking for a brighter sound. I changed the strings on my neighbors CB-500 rosewood Caramel Baritone to D'Addario Titaniums and they sounded really nice on it. I may try them next but wound 3&4 are not my bag.

I does make it a different instrument with the linear tuning. More like a small guitar. I have my TV Pal Bari strung with a low D but if I buy another Bari I think it will be re entrant tuning for me too!

I have a CT-100 (Zebrawood tenor,) tuned to eAC#F# ( A Tuning). I really like the fact that I can play in three different Keys using the same chord forms and get three differing sounds from my 3 Tenors( C,G, & A tunings), not to mention the linear Baritone. All of my six Caramel/Rubin's sound a lot better than my daughters Makala Shark, and each cost less than ~twice a Makala.

I have a CT-100 (Zebrawood tenor,) tuned to eAC#F# ( A Tuning). I really like the fact that I can play in three different Keys using the same chord forms and get three differing sounds from my 3 Tenors( C,G, & A tunings), not to mention the linear Baritone. All of my six Caramel/Rubin's sound a lot better than my daughters Makala Shark, and each cost less than ~twice a Makala.

I agree. I also played a number of lower priced (yet more expensive than my Caramels) ukes at Guitar Center. A Fender, a Cordoba and one other that escapes my memory. None of those impressed me enough that I would spend the extra change and give up my Caramels. The Fender was beautiful aesthetically but still sounded like a uke.

Ukes are popular now and the cork sniffers may go down a different path but if you are looking for a solid, well built instrument for a low cost, get a Caramel. Don't buy into the "you should only buy from a dealer who does a set up" thing either. If the dealer is hundreds of miles away and you don't like the setup, what then?

And don't just take one persons opinion. Not mine or anyone else. Read the reviews, of which there are hundreds, and make your own call.

I did not mean to highjack the thread about the uke for a 2 1/2 year old. Sorry about that but I do believe there was some trolling going on. I won't make anymore comments on that thread. So my last point on the topic:

The Caramels are no different than any other cheap uke. I don't have an agenda or a vendetta. You didn't see me recommend against buying any particular uke either. See the difference? You don't see a bunch of links in my signature here. I am not selling anything. I made many more points than just the caving top he claimed. Feel free to read the thread. I question how he didn't bother to tune the uke. I question how you check intonation with a single note run up the C string. He turned the fretboard fallaway, that is integrated into the design, into caving tops. He said he doesn't give a damn about Caramel, they are just another uke. Yet he continues to recommend AGAINST them. Why?

Buddhuu,

To be fair, this is the right thread to at least discuss that review--and Barry does have a good deal of significance (well earned) in the ukulele world. As I talk about Caramels, I cannot do so without mentioning Barry's review. I would also recommend Vic's review, as well as my, JackLuis, and Dooke's experiences.

This thread would hopefully encourage others to write their thoughts--negative or positive--about Caramel, newer versions of the product, and customer service from the company. I also don't see a Caramel as a person's first and last instrument--just as none of us would think of a Dolphin or Makala as a first and last instrument--it is a gateway instrument that will lead to another instrument, as UAS is an inevitable sickness that comes with the instrument.

I have overseen the purchase of over 50 of these instruments--and I'm not complaining. I have no problem suggesting them as a first instrument. When a kid wants to invest in a long-term instrument--then I do go to other brands and dealers like Mim and Uke Republic for those instruments.

So...when you have only one "major" ukulele reviewer in the space (whose work I enjoy very much), and their review is so overwhelmingly negative about the instrument--that is an elephant in the room that has to be able to be discussed!

P.S. If I were Caramel, I would be reaching out to Barry and getting feedback and making changes. Improving the product is always a good solution.

I agree with Choirguy, Caramels are not "The Best Uke's" but they are pretty good for the price. I have a bunch of Zebrawood Caramels in all sizes and play them every day, not all of them but many each day to hear the difference in tones. I have two Ohana's which are much better but cost 3-5 times as much as my Caramels. In fact my Ohana TK-50G (solid Rosewood and Cedar top) is a LOT 'better' that any of my Caramels, but the realistic margin is small. I'm fortunate that I have a local shop that set most of my Caramels up for $15-$30 each and made them easier to play.

Berry picked the cheapest Caramel to review and most of the flaws he cited would have been corrected by a simple setup, as one might expect in a $40 Uke. Berry is quite critical, as expected in a reviewer, but to compare a CT-102 to a Martin isn't very fair.

Eight days after my "last point on the topic"? Ok then...will do. This really helped. I feel warm and fuzzy now. Thanks.

Aloha brother Dooke -

However justified and/or vindicated you are with your own opinions, I must caution you that it is not wise to antagonize one of the forum moderators (buddhuu)...

Such behavior has gotten folks banned in the past, and/or threads closed, thus killing the conversation and harming everyone else here on the forum.

Maybe now is a time to reflect on one's own motivations, and question the value of persistence along these lines of friction...

All are welcome to express opinions, but direct and open taunting can be seen as hostile, and hostility has no place amongst friends with common interests.

Mahalo and peace to you,

Booli

Well Caramel got my UAS fired up again with the offer of their CP-100 Pocket Zebrawood Sopranino. I have a CT-100, CC-100 and CS-100, and the CP-100 matches them perfectly, except that it doesn't have the carved head stock logo. I couldn't resist any longer. So since today is my birthday (72nd) I sprang for the $41 for the CP-100 and a gig bag. This will complete my collection of Zebrawood Uke's. I also have the glossy Rubin Zwood Travel Tenor, a Sopranino and a glossy Baritone too so I think I'm set for a long long time, unless Caramel comes out with a satin finished CB-100 Baritone!:rolleyes:

This is my first post but I think you’ll all be interested in it: just since yesterday Caramel’s prices have started going up. So far, they have raised the prices of several ukuleles on eBay but only a few on Amazon as of now. For example, yesterday the acacia baritone was $109 on Amazon but today it jumped up to $165, and the guitalele was $119 on Amazon but today it jumped way up to $185.

I have played stringed instruments for decades but just started ukulele and found this thread and decided on a Caramel. I wasn’t sure which Caramel to get, but with the prices suddenly jumping up, I went ahead and ordered two tenors on Amazon just now, one zebra wood without electronics and one acacia with electronics.

The prices of tenors have already jumped up on eBay but they haven’t yet on Amazon. On Amazon a zebra wood tenor is still $44.99, but on eBay a “factory defect” zebra wood tenor (without electronics) is now $60.

Last edited:
Top Bottom