::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 21!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a San Jose branch of Xceed Financial Credit Union. I can give you some names of the RE folks. They will help you.

I know a lot of people but I don't want to bother them with questions I can probably find answers for. Right now I'm more interested in narrowing down where to look for real estate on Oahu. Right now I'm looking at school performance. Good schools tend to raise property value. Also checking out bus lines, access to grocery shopping, hospitals etc. When we get there in July we'll be primarily driving all over to check out the neighborhoods to get a sense of where we want to end up. And attending the festival again :)

I kind of want to retire to Kauai but it won't have enough restaurants/food scene for Mika.

We're both pretty meh about Maui.

Big Island is kind of the same as Kauai only more spread out.

Such awesome things happening in Damon's life right meow. Congratulations!

You must define "paycheck to paycheck."

Your stories remind me of newbie teachers. I saw one girl I worked with eating the free crackers from the staff cafeteria for lunch towards the end of the month. I invited her and another new teacher to dinner and ordered enough food for them to take home and get the through the rest of the week. I was new too and would have been struggling had I not been bartending and making more money than teaching.

Glad things are looking up for you SOON!!

That was very sweet of you. Most of our new teachers work two jobs to make it. I don't know how they do it. I am totally exhausted after work. I guess their younger age helps . . .

I know a lot of people but I don't want to bother them with questions I can probably find answers for. Right now I'm more interested in narrowing down where to look for real estate on Oahu. Right now I'm looking at school performance. Good schools tend to raise property value. Also checking out bus lines, access to grocery shopping, hospitals etc. When we get there in July we'll be primarily driving all over to check out the neighborhoods to get a sense of where we want to end up. And attending the festival again :)

I kind of want to retire to Kauai but it won't have enough restaurants/food scene for Mika.

Here is my take on living on Oahu...
Growing up, Maui was my island home.
We had been to Kauai, really pretty, nothing to do.
Molokai, same, even less to do...
Time spent on Oahu was usually in transit to Maui or because we needed to get something unavailable on Maui or we needed a "city" fix.
I am speaking about the time period from 1978 - 1988 basically...

Even after I met Nanilei and started coming to Hawaii on my own (without parents) we tended to go to Maui, as Oahu was "too crowded" in our opinion. We also went to Kauai because we loved it there and our uncle had a place there.
We finally went to Big Island a couple of times and really loved it there too!

(sorry post is rambling)

So when I got laid off from WaMu and started looking for work in Hawaii, almost as a lark, I quickly realized that the only place I would be able to get a corporate job was Oahu. Which meant if we moved to Hawaii it would be Oahu.
Neither of us were really thrilled with that idea.
Then Nanilei's grandma moved to KoOlina. We started going to Oahu for vacation, spent some time at gram's, spent some time on North Shore at our brother-in-law's place, and then started to discover that not all of Oahu is Waikiki / Honolulu.
What's more, when we went back to Maui, it was starting to get over-developed, and pardon my racism but WAY too many haoles hahahhaha.

We actually put several hundred miles on rental cars driving around Oahu just scoping out neighborhoods, way before we even got the job offer.
When I got the offer, we were able to find a place, and actually knew the neighborhood.

It took about two years of living here, but now we actually love Oahu. We can go to town and hear music and have good food.
We can go North to the jungle and the beach.
We can go to Kaneohe / Waimanalo.
We still have Target and Costco.
If we could have it any way we wanted though, I bet we would wind up on the Big Island. Our dream is to have a home and a little land and I think that is only possible on the Big Island for us. I just wish I could find work there.

Just the other night we were driving home from dinner and the freeway was EMPTY. Four lanes on each side, and I only counted sixteen cars total on the drive home.

I was saying, try driving to LA for dinner, and driving past LAX at 10:00pm and not even seeing another car on the 405... That's why I started counting.

Yes, we love the slower pace, yet the fact there there is still something going on, someplace, every day if you choose to seek it out.

Can't wait until we are neighbors! :D

Well, I don't see the point of beating someone up without anger.
TMI, I know, but...I was hit a bit as a child. I watched my brother being beaten too many times. I abhor hitting. It makes me "itchy". I don't like to feel "itchy". I don't even like "wraslin".

(((Sukie)))

I think I recall you mentioning in a previous post you're looking forward to the tax write off. I'm pretty sure you can only write the taxes off on your primary residence. If you rent out the place in Hawaii, I'm pretty sure you have to pay taxes on the profits, if you rent over the mortgage. I think the only thing you can write off on investment properties is depreciation (including repairs) and perhaps your trips over there since you can "inspect" the property...

The golden rule for an investment property is don't buy it unless it's cash flow positive (you can rent it for more than your mortgage). It can be $1 positive, but you don't want to start having to put money into it every month, unless you truly believe it's a hot area and that you'll be able to recover your costs quickly... or you want to retire there and you want someone to help offset the cost. :)

For me, the only island I could live on is Oahu. The traffic is the main reason why I wouldn't want to live there. :)

I always thought my credit would be great because I had never been in debt or taken a loan and never had a credit card, boy was I stupid.

You have to use some credit responsibly to show the credit reporting agencies that you know how.

I think I recall you mentioning in a previous post you're looking forward to the tax write off. I'm pretty sure you can only write the taxes off on your primary residence. If you rent out the place in Hawaii, I'm pretty sure you have to pay taxes on the profits, if you rent over the mortgage. I think the only thing you can write off on investment properties is depreciation (including repairs) and perhaps your trips over there since you can "inspect" the property...

The golden rule for an investment property is don't buy it unless it's cash flow positive (you can rent it for more than your mortgage). It can be $1 positive, but you don't want to start having to put money into it every month, unless you truly believe it's a hot area and that you'll be able to recover your costs quickly... or you want to retire there and you want someone to help offset the cost. :)

For me, the only island I could live on is Oahu. The traffic is the main reason why I wouldn't want to live there. :)

Mika's parents are our dependants and we claim them as such. We intend to move them there as their primary residence and keep their apartment in SF for when they want to "vacation" here.

I'll double check, but I think we can get the tax credits that way.

Mika's parents are our dependants and we claim them as such. We intend to move them there as their primary residence and keep their apartment in SF for when they want to "vacation" here.

youre already claiming them as dependents? Then why aren't you kicking ass in taxes? You shouldn't be hurting at all.

This place would be for retirement.. We could probably only afford it if the house is paid for.

Can you tan until they arrive and then toss on a cover up?

I showed Mike your house for sale video. He's showing it to the guys at work. Everyone wants to know if your pond is stocked.

Sukie, when I was there I had no idea the pond was your property. I thought it was a park.

That's amazing.
It is a city owned pond. Utecht Pond. We just learned at the deepest it is 22' deep. Right after they paved the path around the pond there was a massive kill off of hundreds and hundreds of goldfish. The City has always denied they caused it, but nobody believes them. My god, it stank. For weeks. Fishing was never the same after that.
We have just had the fortune to see it every day. I have looked out my family room window every single day I'm here and thought how lucky I am. The builder built this for himself and he also did most of the houses on our cul-de-sac. All I want is for someone to fall in love with the house and be happy here. It's the greatest house ever, we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom