::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 21!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just been approached by a couple teachers to help them launch a program for incoming freshman to get them engaged with campus life.

They came to me because they wanted a charismatic VETERAN teacher.

Basically they wanted an old guy on their team.

Great start for the weekend!

Did you give them your list of demands yet?

Poor things. They had to do it the old way. And it's a win for the old way.

I'm so grateful to have spent time working with my grandpa at his produce stand, when I was a kid. He made sure I could handle a till without technology. Sometimes, we would use calculators to sum up large orders...but we never used them to make change.

I wasted a half hour once trying to teach a teenager to do this. How you make change without a calculated, by counting back up to the dollar amount given. They looked at me like a deer in headlights. They never grasped what I was trying to teach. I was doing this at a very young age and I need to start teaching it to Naomi.

I'm so grateful to have spent time working with my grandpa at his produce stand, when I was a kid. He made sure I could handle a till without technology. Sometimes, we would use calculators to sum up large orders...but we never used them to make change.

I wasted a half hour once trying to teach a teenager to do this. How you make change without a calculated, by counting back up to the dollar amount given. They looked at me like a deer in headlights. They never grasped what I was trying to teach. I was doing this at a very young age and I need to start teaching it to Naomi.

My sister is 65, and still can't do it. Rather than admit that, when she's shopping she just pays with more money than they ask for, and then trusts that they give her the correct change. She would have no idea whether they did, or not....

My first restaurant job was at a Chinese restaurant. The "old man" (owners dad) worked NEXT to the register. He would calculate the checks faster than than the girl on the register using an abacas and made sure the totals were correct.

My sister is 65, and still can't do it. Rather than admit that, when she's shopping she just pays with more money than they ask for, and then trusts that they give her the correct change. She would have no idea whether they did, or not....

I'm terrible at math. I might need a calculator to sum things up, or use paper/pencil....but I can solidly make change. It's about the only math skill I have.

I'm terrible at math. I might need a calculator to sum things up, or use paper/pencil....but I can solidly make change. It's about the only math skill I have.

On a funny note...my grandpa use to really embarrass me when I made mistakes counting money. He was a funny man. I was with him every day, when I was a kid.

On a funny note...my grandpa use to really embarrass me when I made mistakes counting money. He was a funny man. I was with him every day, when I was a kid.

Behind his produce stand, there was an erotic massage parlor. My mom said I wasn't allowed to look over there. I remember when it was closed down.

Rafe Report:

Otherwise known as "What is James doing?" report.

Friday: Basketball clinic tonight from 7:30-9:00; I might bring a uke and practice outside.

Saturday: Never got my garden going this year because I didn't know if they were going to ease the drought restrictions. They have so I might get a garden going with just tomatoes and cucumbers. James has a baseball game at noon. He also has his first volleyball clinic at 5:00pm.

Sunday: Nikkei Matsuri festival in Japantown. Food/Arts & Crafts

Rafe report:

Nothing I know of tonight, so we'll likely work on the big purge

Saturday morning jam cancelled this week, so likely more purge

Sunday the juggling club has a public appearance, as opposed to a performance, at a local farm market. We'll do our usual stuff, and teach folks that want to learn how to juggle. I need to remember that I should be there at 11, rather than 1....

Nice pictures of the new place Don.

Can you post a few of my new room? :)

That reminds me that I didn't take any pictures of the bedrooms, or the rest of the house, or even outside. I'll try to remember to get some over the weekend....including the guest room!

So I'm sitting in a park waiting for James' little league practice. This dog runs up to me, and then over to a drinking fountain, looks back at me and barks. And then he does it again. And again. So I get up to see what he wants.

View attachment 90696

See the button on the bottom fountain? He wanted me to get him a drink! Smart dog.

I think I like that dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom