What's your UAS-killing uke?

Andy Chen

Reaction score
Mine's a combination of an upcoming Hive Hornet (probably spruce/rosewood) and a Kinnard Series 2 tenor (cedar/rosewood).

What seems to have killed my UAS is UBAS (u-bass acquisition syndrome). Since taking up the bass a few months ago, I haven't bought another uke, party because I've been playing bass so much more. I even went the other way and culled eight ukes down to the four I wanted to keep. In actuality, I even stopped buying basses because I have six, three are in one stage or another of repair or modification, three I play.

My Mya Moe Koa resonator. We have bonded!

Mine's a combination of an upcoming Hive Hornet (probably spruce/rosewood) and a Kinnard Series 2 tenor (cedar/rosewood).

how do you know without actually playing them? I think it's subdued since you have a couple on order.

how do you know without actually playing them? I think it's subdued since you have a couple on order.

The correct answer is "there is no such thing"! :eek:ld:

Mine is a Covered Bridge all Myrtle Tenor. I think I will stay with my CB for long.

There never is and never will be one that will kill UAS for me. What will kill it temporarily is focusing on some other obsession. Like Mike I've been playing bass with my ukulele friends and while I play ukulele every day - I'm more focused on basses and bass amps and bass effects at the moment. I'm sure I'll cycle around to computers or shoes at some point. The thing that kills it most for me is how well my business does. If I've got the money flowing then I'm full of ideas for things I want to buy. When money gets tighter I become very uninterested in buying things. I also don't mind buying ukuleles because if you get high quality ones you don't lose a lot of resale - on the whole I've done better buying ukuleles than buying stocks.

I already have a few ukes that I think are as good as it will ever get. That doesn't stop me from wanting more, or something else. I honestly think its a personality defect that I suffer from, but it there are defects that are a lot worse. I just don't think it is about getting the "one" ukulele. Part of it is web sites like this. If I stay away from UU my UAS tends to subside to almost nothing. Sometimes I think that getting the next great ukulele doesn't kill UAS, it feeds it.

.......I already have a few ukes that I think are as good as it will ever get. That doesn't stop me from wanting more, or something else. I honestly think its a personality defect that I suffer from, but it there are defects that are a lot worse. I just don't think it is about getting the "one" ukulele....... Sometimes I think that getting the next great ukulele doesn't kill UAS, it feeds it.

Yep, same for me. Even though I have a great little collection now and have a Beau Hannam on order, I find I am still lusting for a Barron River 8 string ( I like different). One day I would like a really good Resophonic. I have realised that this is truely 'the never ending story'. I also realise, for me, I will have to employ a strategy of sacrificial expansion ( some will have to go to make room for the new members of the tribe ). That's OK though as it allows you to get to know some new friends that you can have fun playing with.

It may well be that, like katysax and hollisdwyer, my UAS is only in remission. But I have very comfortably staved off impulses to buy anything despite seeing very beautiful ukes coming to HMS, at what I thought were great prices (eg, the Pepe Romero Grand Reserve and Kimo Hussey's Kinnard super tenor).

Ukes are like people, individual and different voices and feel. Like each friend you do different things with each
All ukes even from the same maker may preform different. Like life, it's the luck of the draw to get one that is
The complete package...sound, beauty, comfort, playability, and tone. I like certain ukes for different reasons

Not a Uke, but a realization that getting better is in practicing, not purchasing.

:/

Quite.

Not a Uke, but a realization that getting better is in practicing, not purchasing. :/
Indeed.

I own various 'ukes, guitars, mandos, et al. (See my .sig.) My Keith E Coleman Celtic-style mandolin is probably my most perfect instrument, closely followed by an Ovation 12-string guitar and a Harmonia cuatro-prima. My tenor 'ukes and tiple ain't bad and are close enough for perfect for me. Could another 'uke captivate me with its sublimity? Sure. I'll know it if I ever touch it. But I just played a US$1k Pono tenor that sounded (really) not much better than my wife's US$100 Alvarez. It'll take something miraculous to sweep me away.

I have not found the UAS killer yet.........that is why I continue to buy the next one and the next one and the.................

If we use Doc J as an example the search never ends. It is the journey of continual discoveries :music:x

Last edited:
I have not found the UAS killer yet.........that is why I continue to buy the next one and the next one and the.................

If we use Doc J as an example the search never ends. It is the journey of continual discoveries :music:x

Agreed! The discovery of what different ukes have to offer is lots of fun. That being said, I bought a Phil Riggio myrtle tenor in May from HMS that I have settled into in a big way.

And that's the truth !

I agree with Stan.
Ukes are like people, individual and different voices and feel. Like each friend you do different things with each
All ukes even from the same maker may preform different. Like life, it's the luck of the draw to get one that is
The complete package...sound, beauty, comfort, playability, and tone. I like certain ukes for different reasons

Last edited:
Top Bottom