Need help with a string / nut issue

jjdejd

Reaction score
I bought a uke a while back from an estate sale. The strings were a little thick for my liking, but I used it for a year and decided to change the strings yesterday to Worth clears. It’s a KoAloha concert. Everything was going well until I got to the A string. Seems the slot in the nut is too large and the string is hitting bottom and buzzing. I tried to put a small piece of string under it and no luck. So I wound it around the outside of the tuning peg and it pulled it against the side of the nut. It seemed to work but it still sounds a little off? Is there a way to fix the nut or should I replace it? Not sure if it’s glued in place. The uke was built in 2002.Thanks.

Or if you have a spare nut, sand enough down to make the mixture to fill in the slot a bit.

The nut is glued in place. If you want to remove it, score all along the sides of the nut where it meets the fretboard with an xacto knife. Go slow and take your time you dont want to scratch your finish. Gently push against the nut from the fret board side with your thumbs (one on each side equal pressure) until the thing pops off. It's usually just a dab of wood glue holding it down. Make sure to clean off the surface of the neck before replacing the new nut because it will have glue gunk left on it in the middle area.

Or if you have a spare nut, sand enough down to make the mixture to fill in the slot a bit.

The nut is glued in place. If you want to remove it, score all along the sides of the nut where it meets the fretboard with an xacto knife. Go slow and take your time you dont want to scratch your finish. Gently push against the nut from the fret board side with your thumbs (one on each side equal pressure) until the thing pops off. It's usually just a dab of wood glue holding it down. Make sure to clean off the surface of the neck before replacing the new nut because it will have glue gunk left on it in the middle area.

I've been searching online for parts and can't seem to find a black one. Most are white. Maybe I'll contact KoAloha. Thanks

You can fill the slot in with baking soda and super glue mixed.

This may sound wanky, but believe me it works great. I've done this with the unwound string slots on a steel string guitar and it holds up forever. Never had a redo because it had cut the glue/Bsoda mixture. Just have to be careful filling in the nut slot with the dry soda and try not to get soda everywhere as the super glue will wick into it. Use the thin superglue with the thinnest nozzle you can find (check a model airplane store/site and get a bottle with the thin tube). Go sparingly and do multiple layers. Less is more. Sure beats making a nut (hours to do it right).

Easier yet, forget the baking soda and just apply a tiny drop of gel type superglue on the tip of a pin or uke string. Don't attempt to fill the slot, just get a little in the bottom. When it dries it'll raise the action a couple of mil which may be enough to cure your buzz.

This may sound wanky, but believe me it works great. I've done this with the unwound string slots on a steel string guitar and it holds up forever. Never had a redo because it had cut the glue/Bsoda mixture. Just have to be careful filling in the nut slot with the dry soda and try not to get soda everywhere as the super glue will wick into it. Use the thin superglue with the thinnest nozzle you can find (check a model airplane store/site and get a bottle with the thin tube). Go sparingly and do multiple layers. Less is more. Sure beats making a nut (hours to do it right).

Thank you......

Easier yet, forget the baking soda and just apply a tiny drop of gel type superglue on the tip of a pin or uke string. Don't attempt to fill the slot, just get a little in the bottom. When it dries it'll raise the action a couple of mil which may be enough to cure your buzz.

Thank you.....

I like!

Now that I've just finished making my first uke I realize how precious this type of advice is!

I'd sure listen to any advice Chuck gives, this one is in my permanent collection.

Top Bottom