Season 180 of the Ukulele - Won't You Meet Me in Montana

BigDaddyUker

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: On take 15 of the intro video, my wife informed me that it ain't going to happen...the entire family is home, you will always be interrupted. I'm frustrated so no intro video...SORRY.

Hey everybody, BigDaddyUker bringing you the guts and nuts of Season 180 of the Ukulele. Thursday, next week, my family and I will be heading to Montana to spend some quality time with my dad and other family as well as spend some crucial time relaxing in the great outdoors.

I started thinking that this week would be all about travel. One thing I like about the Seasons is that I always learn something. So on the way home I started thinking that a broad topic like travel doesn't teach us anything so, I opted to narrow the focus a little bit and make the Season all about Montana. For those of you who don’t know, Montana is in the United States and no, not everybody wears Velcro gloves (sheep joke).

There are a bunch of songs out there are written about Montana, and those are absolutely fine. What I would really like to see are songs that might capture the spirit of Montana. Spend some time this week learning about Montana I think that will unlock a wealth of ideas.

For example...easy example...30 seconds of research will tell you that Montana means mountains in Spanish, the Rocky Mountains are in Montana so that may make you think of John Denver's Rocky Mountain High. Another easy example is the fact that Montana is rich in cowboy history so Sweet Baby James by James Taylor may come to mind.

Although I have never looked, there is an official State Song as well as an official State Lullaby.

Thoughts about participation:

No rules. I don’t like rules. However, I have presented what I think is the spirit of the week and ask that you present as many songs as you want that capture the spirit of Montana in some way shape or form.

Theoretically you can come up with any line of bull to make any song fit…but why…if you are just playing to play, travel on over to the island and post it there. Participation is two way. Take time to post songs, as well as, listen and comment. We all have our circles that we follow, but try to hit some people that you don’t necessarily know. Sometimes it is tough to see all you old timers with 17-18 comments and some of the virgins with 1-2. We all like the ukulele love!

Mixerdubarubdubbing or whatever the hell it is called, is allowed, but I really like the sit down and sing it method!!!

When you introduce your video, I would appreciate a little verbiage on the connection between the song and Montana.

Judging:

I am throwing that back to you. I really like the community judging. In order to judge, you need to have participated. See above my thoughts on participation...it is a two way street. Send me your top whatever videos. Your top 1, 5, 7 or 10 or whatever. BUT...at least have commented on the videos that you send me.

Bonus:

I am from a town in Southwestern Montana called Butte. For the bonus…write a song about Butte and it automatically receives 3 votes. Cover a song about Butte and it automatically receives 1 vote. If you submit a bonus, please include the connection to Butte in the intro somehow.

Prizes:

There will be 3 or 4 prizes. The prizes will be from my trip. Depending on entries, I will distribute the prizes accordingly. Also, anybody that submits a song is eligible for a BigDaddyUker sticker for your ukulele case or car. Just PM me your address and I will send you a couple.

As always, keep working on those mashups as Season 179 is still going strong and for the love of Montana where the men are men and the sheep are nervous, don’t you dare post any songs prior 3:59 bc roman time!

PLAYLIST

Interesting! I'm going to be away all week, so I'll see if I can manage a quickie in the next few hours, otherwise, I will probably miss the whole thing.

NB: For those not from 'round here, Butte is pronounced like "beaut".
Which should make interesting fodder for original songs.

Montana has a state lullaby, and I though my home state was unique for it's state rock song (really, Ohio has an official state rock song, "Hang On Sloopy").

Montana's a beautiful state. I lived there once long ago for a few months. Here's an original song by a friend of a friend. Just wanted to send you a beautiful song about Montana BDU!
Fishing in Montana:

Last edited:
YouTube just informed me Pa made his video already ... wasting no time! ... and when I went to look at it, I see a whole lotta Hannah Montana videos over on the right-hand side. So, you know ... there's that. And there are other people named Montana as well.

Okay, mine is done. I'm so excited I can barely contain myself till morning to post it. But of course I shall. I wasn't even completely sure why I chose this song when I was doing it ... and then suddenly as I was entering it into my video listing file ... it dawned on me.

Can I get back to packing now? :)

BDU, I have reread your OP and can't find my answer. Is this a one song season with a written bonus about Butte? Thats the way Im reading it.

I'll see if I can manage a quickie in the next few hours
WHERE is ceejay?
Its probably a bit too premature for him. ;)

Back on topic.................Yeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaa A season for the country lovin' seasonistas it seems.

Last edited:
Interesting! I'm going to be away all week, so I'll see if I can manage a quickie in the next few hours,

(CJ mode/begin) I often ask the wife for a quickie, but she is never in the mood, Oh well guess I can practice my right hand strum (CJ mode/end)

Top Bottom