Another Bruko 6 Action Adjustment Thread

Vitazora

Reaction score
Another Bruko #6 Action Adjustment Thread

I recently picked up a Bruko #6, and like many, found its action up the neck to be higher than I could comfortably play. Since there are many threads asking how to do this, and many are hesitant to lower the bridge, I thought I would post my method and results. YMMV

I did refer to this older thread, especially post #11, which is the advice of H. Pfeiffer on how to lower the action.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?18682-Bruko-action-adjustment

Anyway, I decided to remove about 1.5-2 mm from the point on the bridge where the strings touch it with a "thin file" as in H. Pfeiffer's advice. I laid a strip of electrical tape along the front edge of the "saddle" to mark the depth I wanted to file to (after removing the strings of course:)), and placed the ukulele on a bed of bubble wrap to cushion it and keep it from sliding around. I also covered the rest of the bridge with tape to protect it from any "accidents."

Unfortunately, I took no photos of the filing, but it took only a few minutes of careful planing to get to the proper height. I used 400 grit sandpaper to remove any file marks and then followed up with a tiny bit of Renaissance Wax on a Q-tip to blend and protect the exposed wood.

No buzzing anywhere, intonation is still spot-on. I also slightly widened the C string bridge slot as it was too narrow to take anything other than a Worth or Martin C string. I used 400 grit sandpaper folded around a very thin strip of steel to gently widen the slot.

IMG_3754.jpgIMG_3755.jpgIMG_3756.jpgIMG_3757.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. I was not familiar with a Bruko bridge where the "saddle" is an integral part of the bridge. Nice job.

Bravo! You have some nerve to do that to a new uke. :cool: Why in the heck won't they do that at the "factory"? I know of several that have asked and they always arrive exactly like yours. Harrumph. :-(

I decided to remove about 1.5-2 mm from the point on the bridge where the strings touch it with a "thin file" as in H. Pfeiffer's advice.

Having lived with this change for a few months now, what do you think?

Having lived with this change for a few months now, what do you think?

Old thread, I know. But I just saw your question today. And yes, a year and some months later, I have no regrets at all. In fact, I am considering lowering the action at the bridge a tiny bit more.

Finally found the right set of strings for it (Fremont Medium Black Lines) and I have been playing it a lot more lately - but the action is still a bit higher than I would like up the neck.

All in all though, it was well worth the risk.

I recently picked up a Bruko #6, and like many, found its action up the neck to be higher than I could comfortably play. Since there are many threads asking how to do this, and many are hesitant to lower the bridge, I thought I would post my method and results. YMMV

I did refer to this older thread, especially post #11, which is the advice of H. Pfeiffer on how to lower the action.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?18682-Bruko-action-adjustment

Anyway, I decided to remove about 1.5-2 mm from the point on the bridge where the strings touch it with a "thin file" as in H. Pfeiffer's advice. I laid a strip of electrical tape along the front edge of the "saddle" to mark the depth I wanted to file to (after removing the strings of course:)), and placed the ukulele on a bed of bubble wrap to cushion it and keep it from sliding around. I also covered the rest of the bridge with tape to protect it from any "accidents."

Unfortunately, I took no photos of the filing, but it took only a few minutes of careful planing to get to the proper height. I used 400 grit sandpaper to remove any file marks and then followed up with a tiny bit of Renaissance Wax on a Q-tip to blend and protect the exposed wood.

No buzzing anywhere, intonation is still spot-on. I also slightly widened the C string bridge slot as it was too narrow to take anything other than a Worth or Martin C string. I used 400 grit sandpaper folded around a very thin strip of steel to gently widen the slot.

View attachment 81906View attachment 81907View attachment 81908View attachment 81909

Nice work!

Old thread, I know. But I just saw your question today. And yes, a year and some months later, I have no regrets at all. In fact, I am considering lowering the action at the bridge a tiny bit more.

Finally found the right set of strings for it (Fremont Medium Black Lines) and I have been playing it a lot more lately - but the action is still a bit higher than I would like up the neck.

All in all though, it was well worth the risk.

How are you liking your jumbo concert? I saw they had one about 2 weeks after receiving my special concert. I decided to not waste time in regret. I do want a No. 6, though.

How are you liking your jumbo concert? I saw they had one about 2 weeks after receiving my special concert. I decided to not waste time in regret. I do want a No. 6, though.

I absolutely love it. It has continued to open up over time and the spruce top has darkened a bit as I would have expected.

The sound is full, rich, and mellow thanks to the combination of spruce and mahogany woods. I have it strung with Worth Brown Low G Strings.

Meanwhile I am currently in conversation with H. Pfeiffer about a semi-custom spruce and cherry soprano model.

I absolutely love it. It has continued to open up over time and the spruce top has darkened a bit as I would have expected.

The sound is full, rich, and mellow thanks to the combination of spruce and mahogany woods. I have it strung with Worth Brown Low G Strings.

Meanwhile I am currently in conversation with H. Pfeiffer about a semi-custom spruce and cherry soprano model.

Looks like we have similar tastes in ukes! I tuned my Bruko concert down to Bb, linear, and I can't believe how good it sounds. I don't even particularly like linear tuning, but wanted it for some songs I'm practicing. What a happy surprise.

Don't forget to order lowered action on that one - let "Mr. Brüko" himself do this work for you ;)

Top Bottom