String 2 fret 3 makes annoying noise when muted

tcstoehr

Reaction score
I don't know if this is what people call a "buzz" but I don't think so after reading through those threads. Sorry I'm such a noob I don't know the terminology yet.
Anyway, if string 2 is still vibrating while I'm fretting on 3, and I go to pluck it, it will naturally mute of course. But as it does so it emits an audible "zoot" sound before I pluck it, every time.
Only string 2 fret 3, nowhere else.
I've examined the frets, nut, strings and bridge to the best of my limited ability and I can see no anomalies.
The uke is a 2013 Mainland Cedar top tenor. It belongs to a friend who changed the Aquila strings to Oasis fluorocarbons. He's fairly experienced and meticulous but he could have made a mistake. I'd like to buy this uke from him but not if it has this issue.
What might cause such an issue?
Or should I just change out the strings and hope for the best?

You say it emits a sound *before* you pluck it? :confused: Where is the sound coming from then?

Changing the string is the easiest thing to try but I'm still trying to understand what you're saying. Are you plucking with a pick, fingernail, finger flesh, does it matter?

You say it emits a sound *before* you pluck it? :confused: Where is the sound coming from then?

Changing the string is the easiest thing to try but I'm still trying to understand what you're saying. Are you plucking with a pick, fingernail, finger flesh, does it matter?

The sound comes from the sound hole and is caused by vibration of the string that I can feel as I touch it with either the flesh of my finger or my fingernail. No pick.

Here's how it goes... I pluck the string and it sounds fine and continues to vibrate. Then I come back to pluck it again and as I initiate contact with any part of my finger, the previous vibration is halted and as this happens the odd noise pops out. This noise coincides with a momentary vibration that I feel on my finger as I touch the string.

It's the same feeling you get any time you touch an already vibrating string but in this one case an audible noise pops out. Muting a string should not make this sort of distinct, audible sound. But it happens on just one fret on one string.

Had something similar on a guitar one time. The problem was the slot in the nut was a little tight. What I sometimes heard, was the string release through the nut, a minute amount. I can't remember if I had the nut re-cut right away. If memory serves me, I just lubricated the slot with a bit of Vaseline, and that seemed to fix it. I guess you could test it, by loosening that string, and then see if it sticks in the slot, or releases easily.

Out of curiosity, is the sound similar to when you do the following?

Pluck a string and while it is vibrating, very slowly and barely try to touch the string to cause it to make a buzz sound against your skin or fingernail? Test it with your skin and nail to compare each sound.

Try it at the problem fret and other frets but the same problem string.

Last edited:
This would be my best guess. Definitely check to see if the fourth fret is high and it might just be part of the fret, and not the whole fret that is high.

Anthony

That was the first thing I checked and I eye-balled as best I can and I see no issue there. The frets seem quite well aligned.

Out of curiosity, is the sound similar to when you do the following?

Pluck a string and while it is vibrating, very slowly and barely try to touch the string to cause it to make a buzz sound against your skin or fingernail? Test it with your skin and nail to compare each sound.

Try it at the problem fret and other frets but the same problem string.

The sound is different. If try the slow/gentle touch of the same vibrating string but at a different fret, I get a noise that sounds like a mosquito flying by my ear. If the touch is a slightly faster, I'll get a "zzst" sound. The problem sound I'm getting seems more like a "voot".

I think it is time change out the string and see what happens.

That was the first thing I checked and I eye-balled as best I can and I see no issue there. The frets seem quite well aligned.

Eyeballing it is nowhere near good enough. You need a fret checking tool. Tiny Imperfections make a big difference. It could be something else but I would still be checking the Frets with a tool.

Anthony

Changing out the string did not help. I guess I'd better check those frets like y'all told me!

Top Bottom