Working with a disability... the upside :)

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Just some thoughts on how disability can actually work to your advantage:

Some days are great and others are very hard. Parkinsons is not a 'regular' condition with predictable outcomes. However days when I have no stress are a breeze (as they would be for anyone). I don't shake - oh I have discovered a label for my tremor - asymmetric :) and best of all I don't get tired. Although medication has improved matters slightly by 3.00pm I am dragging my right leg around the workshop like it's some dead weight and I find myself have to sit down more often.

One real upside is since I can no longer work at speed, the slower pace has caused me to examine what I do more carefully than before. I actually think I am making a better job of what I am doing. I have also gone back to my jigs and tools to look at ways of ensuring greater consistency so I can concentrate on voicing and other ways to nuance the sound.

I know there are some who post here who have significantly greater challenges than mine. I truly salute your achievements and understand them so much better now. Despite the difficulties there is always an up side :)

That was truely beautiful. Thank you for opening eyes that may not see, ears that may not hear and minds that might have been shut. We all need to fully use what gifts we have.

Despite the difficulties there is always an up side :)

Absolutely Pete. I work out of a chair and at first it used to drive me crazy when I needed a tool that was in the other shop. Still does I admit, but I don't sweat things as much anymore. In the shop or in life. Never been happier. One thing I am conscious of though is shop safety since I'm working with power tools without good balance on my legs. Slow and careful. I'm also using hand tools much more which has opened up whole nother way of doing things... Anyway, looking forward to the video on neck shaping.

Well done for dealing with Parkinsons so very well, and I'm very glad you didn't have to give up your work on the instruments. For your tools, have you tried using a caddy or builders belt, this way you could have them with you all the time instead of across the workshop?

You have an inspirational attitude Mr. Hewlett!

Just some thoughts on how disability can actually work to your advantage:

Some days are great and others are very hard. Parkinsons is not a 'regular' condition with predictable outcomes. However days when I have no stress are a breeze (as they would be for anyone). I don't shake - oh I have discovered a label for my tremor - asymmetric :) and best of all I don't get tired. Although medication has improved matters slightly by 3.00pm I am dragging my right leg around the workshop like it's some dead weight and I find myself have to sit down more often.

One real upside is since I can no longer work at speed, the slower pace has caused me to examine what I do more carefully than before. I actually think I am making a better job of what I am doing. I have also gone back to my jigs and tools to look at ways of ensuring greater consistency so I can concentrate on voicing and other ways to nuance the sound.

I know there are some who post here who have significantly greater challenges than mine. I truly salute your achievements and understand them so much better now. Despite the difficulties there is always an up side :)
You have my admiration.
......... And the results are first class.

I've been watching the Special Olympics in Los Angeles this week (I wish ESPN and ABC would have done more coverage) so your message is very timely. It's absolutely great to see and hear stories of triumph over adversity.

Pete,
Your work was always an inspiration to me, now even more so. Prayers are with you!

Thanks folks - fortunately I have a sponsor paying the wages of my former intern Tom Ziegenspeck (check out his stuff at http://www.ziegenspeck-ukulele.de/) for a year so I will have much needed help now.

Tool belt? No-way. I have tool boards and stations which are an arm's reach away - you out to see my workshop :) It's compact and divided into work areas. Couldn't get more efficient. I now have a prep room and store which goes into operation in September too :)

Wow, Pete, you truly are a hero. I have no such ailments, and I have no patience for trying to build a table, let alone a fine ukulele.
I have never had the pleasure of playing a Howlett, but I hope I do some day. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about them. And the few photos I've seen made me look for a washcloth so I could wipe the drool off (ssshhhh)
Do you have an apprentice? They can be pretty handy for going for and holding things....

Pete, I had the privilege of playing one of your ukes at our jam in Raleigh, N.C., last night. One of our members recently purchased it on eBay and was brave enough to pass it around. I'm a hack at best (what I lack in ability I compensate for with enthusiasm), and I must say that tenor has the smoothest playability and the most fluid action of anything I've had in my hands. (I've messed around with ukes that sell for much more.) I'm pulling for you to have many more good days and continue bringing joy to us ukers. And someday I may find one of these in my home as well. Bless you, sir!

Top Bottom