Submit a song to accompany this photograph

When I saw the photo I thought of Virgina Wolfe filling her pockets with heavy stones
and wading out into the water to drown, and that brought to mind a poem by Stevie Smith
called Not waving but drowning to which I put a melancholy melody to. Here is the
video and the words.

Gm Dm
Nobody heard him, the dead man,
Eb Bb F
But still he lay moaning:
Gm Dm
I was much further out than you thought
Eb Bb F
And not waving but drowning.
Cm Eb Bb F
Poor chap, he always loved larking
Eb Bb F
And now he's dead
Cm Eb Bb F
It must have been too cold for him
Eb Bb F
his heart gave way,They said.
Gm Dm
Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
Eb Bb F
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
Gm Dm
I was much too far out all my life
Eb Bb F
And not waving but drowning.

What a heavy heart she had. Exploding pain weighing her down. Thank you. Deep emotion was felt thinking of her and my own self or loved ones who have known struggle. Thank you.

She looks like she might be considering that walking right out into that ocean could be an option ....

Yes she does. To take a swim in the sea. The only place she feels like her true self. In all other places she feels like an outsider. She considers perhaps she was a mermaid once. Thank you.

She looks like she might be considering that walking right out into that ocean could be an option ....

And in the next scene her lover approaches her with a thick dark green blanket wraps her in it and holds her in his arms as she sobs finally able to fall apart having been soothed by the rhythmic ocean. Thank you for your submission.

OK an original written for the challenge. I'm sticking with my premise of melancholy thoughts in a beautiful location.

Yes!!! Have felt that exactly. Encapsulated that with a song. Beautiful. Thank you. Listened several times.

Naw she was not going to top herself She was dipping her toes in the water to see if it was just right for swimming.

Yes! She finally made her way to the water. Yearning for the freedom it brings. Caught off guard by the joy of the thought she completely forgot she was fully clothed. Thank you.

chirouke hey there just wanna say this is a great thread and contest and a super, thought-provoking challenge - thank you for setting this going!

Agreed. It's wonderful to dream. I've had this image stuck in my minds eye for a week now through song am now able to explore why it pulls my curiosity so. I'm wondering if I can narrow it to one winner. Or maybe I'll be knitting everyone a hat. :D

Or maybe I'll be knitting everyone a hat. :D
lol yeah that would be great! oh but it might impact on your available uke-ing time... *stops* *thinks*... nope, not even with super duper easy open tuning could you knit AND uke!

(ok i'm gonna sit back and wait now, in case anyone knows better and has a link to a vid to prove it!)

Here's my take on this photo....I imagine this is a photo taken in the 50's. The only picture left of her. Held in the palm of her only child.

Code:
When I was born
You held me tight
I slept right through, right through the night

Then I heard a voice
A calling to light
He was holding me and loving you

A man cradled my head
So strong but tired
He wept into, into the night

Why can’t I recall your face?
In my reflection I see a trace
Of the eyes that first, that first held mine

In the palm of my hand
In a moment you stand
In the light, the light of the rising sun

Last edited:
This may be a bit of an overly obvious choice, but since a riptide is "specific kind of water current that can be found near beaches (that) is strongest near the surface of the water, and it moves directly away from the shore, cutting through the lines of breaking waves" (wikipedia) it was the first song that I have on my Youtube channel that came to mind.

Vance Joy - Riptide - ukulele and vocal cover

Autumn Skylar

PS I've been really enjoying the challenges over on the reddit/r/ukulele board so I'm happy to have found more here

Last edited:
Agreed. It's wonderful to dream. I've had this image stuck in my minds eye for a week now through song am now able to explore why it pulls my curiosity so. I'm wondering if I can narrow it to one winner. Or maybe I'll be knitting everyone a hat. :D
Chirouke: Your idea for doing a song is more important to me than any contest or prizes. Thank you for the inspiration.

Chirouke: Your idea for doing a song is more important to me than any contest or prizes. Thank you for the inspiration.

Good stuff right? Perhaps we can do another one next month. :) I had a lovely time listening and dreaming of the ocean and the feel of the moments laid out by everyone.

Hi Heidi,
I rarely check anything other than stuff under the Seasons and just now i did and i saw this.
Here is a video i made for one of the seasons a few weeks ago....
I think it could work with the photo:)
Joo

Entire have slowed so I'll be picking a winner soon.

Shall we do this image inspiration again sometime?

Top Bottom