Epiphone Les Paul - Review

Have you thought for a moment that so many people agreed that the LP is crap because, you know, it's actually crap?

Not having a pop at anyone who disagrees with the review but I WILL have a pop and suggestions (veiled or otherwise) that my reviews are in some way unfair.

In what way do you think this review is unfair? What have I got to gain by saying the things I said about the LP? I'd really like to know.

All I struggled with (on Facebook and not on here so much) is that people were messaging saying 'no way, the acoustic sound is superb and equivalent to a Kala Travel (just an example) or that I was in some way being paid to say bad things about Epiphone. The latter point is clearly tinfoil hat stuff - the former - I did a second video showing the sound vs some other ukuleles. I defy anyone to tell me it sounds 'great'. Surely...

i'll jump in again where I shouldn't. I'll add that there's multiple layers of crap. One layer of "crap" is twisted necks, uneven frets, bad neck join. That's epic crap. I've only handled several of these epiphones and none of them were at this level of "crap".

Now the other level of "crap" gets into the subjective side. Instrument is playable but sounds like "crap" (no resonance, no sustain). It's simple enough to label the epi as that and be done with it. Btw I've played some massively overbuilt ukes which sounded not much different from the epi. A gloss mitchell brand I tested at guitar center falls into this category.

Oh I agree - just pointing out that a number of people agreeing doesn't necessarily mean 'conspiracy'. Maybe they just don't like them either!

I've also played plenty worse - didn't say the Epi was was the worst thing I have ever played.

It just kind of annoyed me as it is a classic case of looks over substance.

Doubt I would - I am quite picky about electrics!

It is just a ukulele, but remember, this was not just an owners review - I write a website that reviews LOTS of instruments. The reviews need to all follow the same sort of pattern and have a consistency or they become pointless.

If I was just comparing it to three instruments, me making huge claims would be silly. But compared to 100 or so - it didn't stand up too well.

I have tried it through some top end pre amps, into a nice Fender Tube, into a nice Marshall Acoustic - none of them really improved it.

One other thing though - the final score it got - really not the lowest score I have ever given on Got A Ukulele - very much mid table. It gained points on fit, finish and price - parts of my review scoring that helps cheaper instruments gain credits back as it were.

Baz, I for one am glad that someone is picky enough to try these things out and be honest with us about them. Sure, it isn't an epic POS, but people who bother to do their research deserve to know what to stay away from if they value sound over looks. That uke would be a total waste of money for me.
Thanks for doing the reviews and going out on a limb when you need to so that we're informed.

I got one of the Epi Les Pauls for the reason of "This is the only Les Paul I will ever be able to afford."

I sent it up to Tudorp in Michigan, and he replace the nut and saddle with bone, reset the neck, and leveled the frets.

Plays like a dream to me. It isn't loud, but it is just fine; not the best, nor the worst of any uke I've every played, but I really think it was worth the money.

It is subjective, but the neck reset, fret re-seating,, and saddle/nut replacement made a huge difference in the instrument.

Your mileage may vary.

-Kurt​

I'm keeping mine and may experiment the same way Kurt. But as a reviewer on a site aimed at beginners, I have to test them based on the fact that the vast majority of buyers would never look to re-set the neck, level the frets, or even adjust the saddle.

I liked the video review. Folks could hear for themselves.

I think the review was important because new folks wanting a uke could buy one and quit because they couldn't make it sound as it should. They might give up thinking they weren't able to play.

Nobody has to base their life on another's opinion and they can buy what they want, but I think it is great to have someone who knows what they are talking about give fair reviews of products.

Thanks, Barry!

Very interesting thread and topic!

I have one of the Les Pauls, and love it for what it is - a GSO (guitar shaped object) in the guise of a ukulele.

I've owned several Les Paul guitars through the years, and have a soft spot in my heart (and quite possibly my head) for them.

I think you're pretty spot on with your description of the tone and sustain. Unlike a Les Paul guitar (to paraphrase Nigel Tufnel, "Go and have a bite and you'll still be 'earin' it, this one") it definitely doesn't have the massive sustain. The tone is, uh, 'plinky' like a toy uke.

My wife and I have several ukes in the same price range, and they all (even the Mitchell) have better tone.

BUT...

All that being said, I love the look of the top, the neck feels and plays good, the fret job is the best I've seen on anything in that price range, and the overall fit and finish is right up there with Epiphone standards (which is to say quite good, but not quite Gibson quality).

It's our 'toss it in the case and throw it in the back of the car or strap in on the back of the motorcycle' uke for taking out and about due to the fact that it's built like a tank.

When bands come into my little studio, guitar players are more likely to take a few strums on the LP than they are any of the other ukes. The times it has been used amplified have generally been through effects setups including enough distortion/overdrive to give a harpsichord sustain in conjunctive with an octave multiplexer and interestingly enough, it sounds pretty darn good in the context of a rock band.

For a hundred bucks, I feel like I got exactly what I thought I was paying for - a playable GSO.

:agree:
I bought mine just because of the way it looked and I had a Guitar Center coupon for 15% off Epiphone, so it was less than $100 out the door.
When I went to Guitar Center to buy it, they did not have one in stock so they offered to ship it to my home for free. So, in effect, I got the one I got sight unseen, but I knew what I was getting.
After taking off the hideous stock strings and putting on some D'Addario Pro Arte strings, I wound up with a surprisingly playable ukulele. The acoustic sound is not that great, kind of Tahitian ukulele, maybe even quiet-banjo-esque, but for this price range who really cares? Was I expecting more? Not really. What is very pleasant is the build quality, the gorgeous finish, and the way it feels when playing it - really quite enjoyable. Did I "luck out" and get a good one? Maybe. What is odd to me is that I have a few ukuleles that are much nicer but I still reach for and play this one more often than I originally thought I would.
Two observations:
It is very durable, so it is a fun party ukulele, one that I can toss in the car, take places, and really not worry about it too much.
Here in Hawaii, they are very rare. I took it to the ukulele festival, and people with very expensive and super nice customs were all intrigued by it. Funny how that works sometimes, people here in the land of ukuleles were smitten with a $100 piece of eye candy.

When these first came out, I was able to play the first one my local dealer got in. It would seem to mostly appeal to someone who owns or likes the Gibson Les Paul guitar and would want something fun that reminded them of it in the looks department. That would be the only way I could justification in having one other than as an off the beaten path novelty. It becomes uncomfortable to hold after a while playing it, but that shouldn't be a problem for any serious ukulele player as most would put it down before they became uncomfortable holding it.

The only way one of these would get into my music room is if it was a gift. And even then I would likely trade it toward something better...

Top Bottom