Advice on soprano upgrade

PreflightNut

Reaction score
I've been playing my Lanikai LU-21 soprano pretty heavily for a few months now, and I think it's time for an upgrade. I've played around with a few ukes at my local Guitar Center and come to the conclusion that I'd like to stick with the soprano size (at least for now).

I prefer the classic look of friction tuners so that is a requirement. Number of frets isn't too important as I don't play anything that requires more than 12, but I do like the idea of having a few more just in case future pieces require them.

My budget is around $300, and I'd prefer the ukulele to come setup.
A few ukes I'm considering are; the Mainland Cedar Soprano, the Pono Mango Soprano, and the Ohana SK-50 (Cedar & Rosewood). Any input on these, or other recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Any Martin soprano , new or old. I just got an SO in new condition for less than $200 including postage on Ebay. Nice vintage Style 0's can be had for around 300 to 400.

While I do like the Pono Mango soprano, you should definitely add the Kiwaya KS series to your consideration list. There is a KS-1 at HMS for $285. As already mentioned, some nice buys can be found used. If you're going new, buy from a reputable place that does real set-up work and offers an appropriate return policy. HMS, Mim's, etc.

I got the Ohana SK-35G from Mim for less than $200 including shipping. It's such a sweet player. It's a mahogany, so if you prefer a different tonewood, I get it. But you can't go wrong anywhere in that price range with Ohana or Mim.

Any Martin soprano , new or old. I just got an SO in new condition for less than $200 including postage on Ebay. Nice vintage Style 0's can be had for around 300 to 400.

I do like Martins, but am wary about buying used via ebay. Although I do have my eye on a couple of auctions. What is your opinion on the S-1?

While I do like the Pono Mango soprano, you should definitely add the Kiwaya KS series to your consideration list. There is a KS-1 at HMS for $285. As already mentioned, some nice buys can be found used. If you're going new, buy from a reputable place that does real set-up work and offers an appropriate return policy. HMS, Mim's, etc.

Thanks for the input! While I do like the Kiwaya, and have heard good things, I would prefer to try out a solid wood uke.

I've definitely been considering it, but it's almost a 4 hour drive each way for me. I was hoping someone on here could help me decide without having to make the trip lol. Thanks for your input though!

I live in Indiana, too. It was almost a 2 hour trip each way to go to Mainland Ukes and it was well worth it. If you are able, take a day trip and go. If you can't go, I think you will be very happy with one of their ukes. I'm very happy with mine (mahogany concert). I was very undecided between three of them (spruce, red cedar and mahogany). They are all very nice.

Martin OXK might be an interesting upgrade, as would a kiwaya ks1 (both non solid).

You also might want to consider test driving a pineapple.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kiwaya-ks-1-mahogany-soprano.html
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/OXKUKE.htm

looks like drbekken still plays his martin oxk for some of his soprano videos.

If your lu21 has good intonation and plays well I might reconsider just doing a soprano upgrade. Might be time to expand your collection. I used to keep my lu21p out all the time. When I loaned out the lu21p for 6 months or so the martin oxk took its place as an around the house ukulele. When I got the lu21p back the oxk ended up back in its case again. Yes the martin is better than the lu21p. Extra frets, frets more prominent, compensated saddle seems to work, it rings more bell-like. It might be that I find the pineapple shape easier to hold. It might be that I just plain like cheap ukes better. I can't exactly say.

Last edited:
It is a little above your price range but I think a KoAloha Opio soprano should be quite a bit better than all of the ones you listed. KoAlohas just have such a nice full sound. They really stand out from other ukes in my opinion.

I'd like to thank everyone for all of their insight, but I no longer need it! Thanks to a kind UU member I got a great deal on a used Pono Mahogany soprano that I couldn't pass up :D

Last edited:
I had the exact same Lanakai LU-21 and recently upgraded to a KoAloha Opio soprano. I love it! Gorgeous tone and appearance, low action, good price!

Top Bottom