Strings for concert Flea

deschutestrout

Reaction score
I have a concert Flea on the way. I know string preference is a bit subjective, but anyone try several and find one they prefer over the others?

d'addario nyltechs. oasis fluorocarbons should work as well. the more i fingerpick the more I gravitate towards thicker strings.

I reciently put Aquila Lavas on my flea and love them. They are a higher tension string, but to me they make it really sing. I tried Martins and Nyltechs previously and they were good as well. I just like the sound the Lavas produce a little more.

After trying dozens of strings on my Flukes and Fleas...for each strings/instrument combo below - all very clear, very crisp, great note separation, good sustain...but each a slightly different sound...

- for now I have stayed on Martin M620 strings on my concert Flea in GCEA tuning...

- and on one tenor Flea, walnut top, birch rosette, wood fingerboard, the Aquila REDS in F-Bb-D-G tuning...(if I get a concert Flea with a wood fretboard later on, THESE are my favorite strings on this instrument)

- and the other tenor Flea, hibiscus red top, plastic fingerboard, Worth Browns (BT) in F-Bb-D-G tuning...

- and on the tenor Fluke, koa top, wood fingerboard, Martin M620, in E-A-C#-F# tuning...

and so far I am really liking the sound and feel this way.

Hope this helps. :)

the 620's look sort of similar to the oasis strings. still the thicker m600 C string but all the others are thicker too. Have you tried oasis?

The best ones for me were the Freemont black lines. I loved that sound on the Flea.

the 620's look sort of similar to the oasis strings. still the thicker m600 C string but all the others are thicker too. Have you tried oasis?

Yes, and many others.

On both the 600 and 620 Martin string sets have a thicker 'C' string, i.e., 0.0380", whereas the Oasis 0.030", Worth 0.0319" and Fremont 0.0320" are thinner and seem much more floppy and dead to me, and since my concert Flea has the plastic fretboard, I cannot use a wound C string, such as my go-to Thomastik-Infeld perfectly smooth chrome flatwound CF-27, and yes it is SMOOTHER and has LESS string noise than the Fremont smoothwound soloist string, and any other smooth/flat-wound strings I've tried so far.

It really is subjective. My soprano Flea came with Aquila nylguts, which were meh. Martin 600s were a little better, but it's really done great things with Worth browns. My concert Fluke came with Oasis, again which were OK at best. I like the current Worth browns a little better, but Living Waters may be the next ones I try. Again, it all depends on what feels good and sounds good to you. (Plastic fretboards on both, FWIW.)

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but I thought it might help for your string selection query...

I have just posted a video tutorial for how to simulate a live stereo sound from a mono recording, that uses my aforementioned concert Flea, with the Martin M600 strings, and thought that you might like to hear the sound sample, as well as possibly see the software tutorial.

It is here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-EASY-simulated-stereo-from-a-mono-audio-file

i had worth browns on the concert fluke and they played sweet. i just changed them to the cheap old standby, martin m600s, and they sound wonderful on the instrument, not brash at all.
i get the general idea that you could put anything of quality on the fluke and it will sound good. i hate to say this but the plastic resonating seems to do something for the sound.
in my book these instruments are keepers. mine is a loaner and kiddie teacher.

I have Aquila Reds on mine. It makes it very chime but not harsh sounding.

I've tried aquilas, aquila reds and oasis on my concert flea, plus some some colored Aurora strings on my kids fleas/fluke. I think the oasis sounds best, but I love the way the aquila reds feel. The reds are definitely a softer, sweeter sounding string and the oasis has more presence and power.

Got the uke! Tried Martins... eh, ok. Put Worth brown lights on and yes! I usually stick to mediums...but lights have transformed my pineapple, so I thought I would give them a go. Glad I did! They sound great!

Top Bottom