IPad iPhone Combination?

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have an iPad Air2 and an iPhone 6. I'd like to use my iPhone's excellent front facing camera for recording videos of my playing and singing, with my iPad functioning as the monitor and recorder. I have an Apgee mic that can plug into either device. What app do I need for this, and how do I set up the configuration? Thanks!

I am not really an iPad guy but how about iMovies and Garage Band on the iPad. You could export your video from the iPhone to the iPad and mess with the Garage Band recording, adding extra tracks if you want and export that as a Wav file and use that as your Audio for your iMovies video

I have an iPad Air2 and an iPhone 6. I'd like to use my iPhone's excellent front facing camera for recording videos of my playing and singing, with my iPad functioning as the monitor and recorder. I have an Apgee mic that can plug into either device. What app do I need for this, and how do I set up the configuration? Thanks!

I am not sure if you understood my post in the other thread on a similar topic where you asked a similar question. At the end of my post I asked you for clarification, but you did not reply there.

I noticed that you started this thread, but seems that you have asked your question in a different way...

So now it seems maybe I understand a little better for what you want to do...

To use your iPad as a sort of viewfinder/monitor screen for recording with the hi-res front camera of your iPhone, while RECORDING with your iPhone?

Is this correct?

If so, I too have been searching for a way to do this as well. The closest thing I came to was to either place a mirror behind the iPhone, such that I could see the iPhone's screen, OR to place the iPad with ITS screen FACING the iPhone screen, and use the iPad's Facetime camera to SHOW the iPhone screen, while the iPhone's from camera is actually recording...

It was lots of fiddling and takes time to get everything lined up, but it DOES work.

Looks something like this:

[MIRROR]----iPhone screen----iPhone FRONT camera----YOU with ukulele

or

iPad screen, with Facetime camera ON----iPhone screen----iPhone FRONT camera----YOU with ukulele

As far as a software solution that would effectively STREAM the video from one device to the other, WHILE recording it on either device, I have also been looking for an app like this but have found none.

The CLOSEST functionality that I had found, but does NOT seem to record is with this $4 Baby Monitor 3G app (which I just found and have not tried yet):

Write-up: http://mashable.com/2013/09/08/baby-monitor-3g/

Web site: http://www.babymonitor3g.com/#prettyPhoto

iTunes store link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baby-monitor-3g/id490077681

Maybe there is another similar 'baby monitor' app that does the above from one iOS device to another, OR lets you video the recording video by streaming it to ANY web browser, and then you can use your iPad or even your computer, with Safari OR Firefox to show you the video like in a viewfinder, but I have not found one yet....

Sorry if this is not an actual solution, but you are not alone in seeking a solution like this. :(

This is just going to be more trouble than it's worth. Do you have any kind of budget that you'd be willing to spend on gear for recording? We might be able to make some suggestions based on that.

Thanks guys! Booli, I think you and I are looking for that same thing. I discovered that there are still photo apps that do exactly what I (we) want to do in video. Those apps allow the photographer to preview the shot on the iPad, and use the iPad to release the shutter (snap the picture) on the iPhone. The apps wifi the image from the iPhone to the iPad, and the app includes remote camera controls. I have no idea why the same thing hasn't been done for videography. It seems like a no brainer to me. Maybe there is some hardware limitation that gets in the way?

You could use an app like Presence, but it is streaming the video to the web, so the quality might not be good enough. What you probably need is some sort of bluetooth connection.
Here is one I found with a google search:AirBeam
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airbeam/id428767956?mt=8
It is new, and sounds like it is what you want.
–Lori

Here is the email I sent to Appologics UG:
Question : I'm interested in your apps. I have iPhone6 and iPad Air2. I want to use the iPhone camera and an external microphone to record myself playing and singing. I want to monitor and control the recording (start, stop, etc.) from my iPad. That way, I can set up my iPhone camera, and have the iPad next to me while I perform. Will your apps allow me to do that? If so, which of your apps do I need?

Here is their reply:

Hi George,

thanks for your interest in our apps. Yes, AirBeam and Videography are exactly made for this purpose. Normally you need just AirBeam, which has both monitor and camera functionality in one app. Videography provides more control over your camera features (focus, exposure, zoom, slow motion, etc.) but can currently only be controlled remotely from a browser. You can also get both as a bundle with some discount.

Best,
Heiko

They got back to me within hours. It looks like I'm going to be trying out the AirBeam app. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is the email I sent to Appologics UG:...

They got back to me within hours. It looks like I'm going to be trying out the AirBeam app. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the update. I'll be following closely to see if I need to buy either of these apps as well.

Sounds like a good experiment. I would like to see the results!

–Lori

Yes, me too, and thanks to Lori for that suggestion for the Airbeam app. :)

This is rather interesting. I've used two Canon HD video cameras to get wide and close shots at the same time, and 2 mics, a lavaliere on me and a wired on my amp, but for quick one angle videos, it has it's merits.

This is just going to be more trouble than it's worth. Do you have any kind of budget that you'd be willing to spend on gear for recording? We might be able to make some suggestions based on that.

@BK: While not not having the same options with interchangeable nor OPTICAL zoom lenses (such as with prosumer camera like the Canon GL-2, and all the products in their line since that camera came out circa 2002), the iOS devices that the OP has, potentially cost $1000 USD or more, so to buy alternate video equipment would seem redundant to me, UNLESS you plan to get paid for using it, and never mind the fact that you are locked to whatever firmware is in the dedicated video gear one might buy, and with iOS and Android, there are HUNDREDS of different types of camera apps alone, some with very different kinds of functions, and typically priced $1-$10, and that is the part of the appeal of using these apps, and with the equipment already in hand.

This is rather interesting. I've used two Canon HD video cameras to get wide and close shots at the same time, and 2 mics, a lavaliere on me and a wired on my amp, but for quick one angle videos, it has it's merits.

That's great Mike, but keep in mind, for a person new to taking videos, it's lots of equipment to set up, learn how to connect and wire, learn how to set the controls properly, and not something that everyone can just leave set up ready to go, nor something most folks want to stow in cases in the closet, and spend 20-30 mins to setup before making what might only be a 2 minute video, and then have the pleasure (torture) of having to break it all down and pack it away afterward, so not you've got at least 30-40 min investment for a 2 minute video. To *me* that all is a royal PITA.

If you look at the weekly Seasons contests here on UU (running now for like 3 or 4 yrs now), I'd wager that 90% of these videos are recorded on a smartphone or tablet, PRIMARILY due to the convenience and ease of use, even if the audio or video quality is not at a professional level, but it's just fine for YouTube, which mangles both audio and video anyway with their horrible implementations of both h.264/MP4 compression and VP8/webm compression.

Besides all the above, in the analog realm (of the bad-old-days) you'd need miles of cables and all kinds of converters, 'switchers'. monitors, etc to have a proper setup, and now, using 2 or more devices linked up via WiFi or Bluetooth, there are NO cables and everything can be controlled or done via software.

You can even download your recordings from your iPad to your computer over WiFi, all WITHOUT any cables at all.

Also, many of our phone and tablet devices today have the ability to record at full 1080p HD (some devices even higher) through Carl Zeiss or similar quality optical elements, or even take still HDR photos in 5, 10 or even 20 megapixel resolutions, so to make an additional investment in other equipment may just be duplicating the hardware functionality that MANY of us already have, and spending money redundantly when it's really not necessary.

Starting after college, I shot, edited and produced commercial video professionally while working for an NYC studio for 15 yrs (as a second income) and the worst part of it all was the tons of equipment required (and at great cost) to create 'broadcast quality' video. Not something I'd want to do again unless all my gear could fit in a single Pelican case on wheels, but now we have an embarrassment of riches with much better options. :)

It looks like I might not have made myself clear, I meant that using an iPhone with an iPad as the OP asked is a good way to go. I certainly fit the scenario you described; "...20-30 mins to setup before making what might only be a 2 minute video, and then have the pleasure (torture) of having to break it all down and pack it away afterward..." Though the two minute video usually takes about an 1-2 hours to actually "get" with all the rehearsals, bumbles and fumbles.

It looks like I might not have made myself clear, I meant that using an iPhone with an iPad as the OP asked is a good way to go. I certainly fit the scenario you described; "...20-30 mins to setup before making what might only be a 2 minute video, and then have the pleasure (torture) of having to break it all down and pack it away afterward..." Though the two minute video usually takes about an 1-2 hours to actually "get" with all the rehearsals, bumbles and fumbles.

Thanks for clarifying:)

Yes, you are correct. I forgot about all the rehearsals - OY!

Top Bottom