1,000th Post: Personal reflection

While I'm closer to Jake's size than yours, I will no longer fear you. If I ever really piss you off, I'll just appeal to your emotional side, you big ole' softie! And if that doesn't work, I'll run like hell. ;-) Haha. Seriously, it sounds like it really filled a need in your life which is awesome. I hope it brings you constant joy through at least your 10,000th post!

It appears we discovered ukes by chance about the same time (though for me it scratched an unknown itch) and it appears we've both been bitten pretty hard by the jumping flea. I sometimes think it would be hilarious to time warp back to moments before it hit me and have another of me say, "I'm Eddie of the Future and your life is about to be changed by ukulele." The Eddie of the Past would've probably looked at the Eddie of the Future and said, "You're out of your effin' mind!". ;-)

LOL.

If you ever piss me off start to run and leave just one of your Ukes behind ... I will stop pick it up, play it and forget what I was upset about. I agree with you the random nature of coming across an instrument like the Ukulele ... and looking back at it Simon of the Past would start to laugh ... and perhaps not stop. Good times!

Thanks for posting! Anything that prompts such genuine self-reflection has to be good, right? I'm glad you're getting so much from your ukulele journey, and thanks for sharing some of it with this ukulele community.

I agree with you meds ... just had my fill after putting my sons to sleep ... and now, I too shall retire but filled with peace and joy.

What a warm and heartfelt post, Simon! Having met guys like you and Dave (you ARE quite the couple!) means so much to me, too, and I only wish you'd live closer to me. It has been so nice to discuss ukes with you and to share our excitement (LFdM, Pono, and Southcoast come to mind), and I'm looking forward to many more of that. Thanks from the other side of the planet.

Rainer, Dave and I feel the same about meeting you as well. Your knowledge, sharing of information and support is tremendous and we value your friendship. If we lived closer I am sure we would have a great Kitchen jam ... and often. Sometime we should do a Uke Skype Jam. We do share a number of similar Ukes and strings in similar come to think about it. LFdM, ETSH, RBSH Spruce, strings to name a few ... Yes, we hope to discuss many more Ukulele purchases and notes with you ... thank YOU from this side of the planet. ... funny just re-read your comment about us as a couple ... I just wrote the string saying "we" ... lol. It is my luck to have a good friend like Dave, for sure. Heck, everyone needs a DuD ... lol.

How beautifully said! And, how true it is that music, and for us especially, the Ukulele soothes the soul. I have a wife with dementia and need to stay home just about all the time to care for her. Not getting out and having no friends coming over gets very depressing and lonely. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have my Ukuleles. They keep me sane. I look forward to your 2,000th post!

I am sorry to hear of your wife's dementia. I am sure the isolation of continual care of your spouse can be depressing. I hope you find more joy from your Ukes, and that they fill your bucket up ... I look forward to your 1,000th post ... keep strumming.

Sam - Congratulations on your 1000th post. I'm another one who has been 'saved' by the Uke. Up until late last year I was my fathers main carer, he was bedridden with a stroke and dementia, and I was doing an average of a 19 hour day, with little sleep. He passed away, and everyone told me to rest, relax etc before thinking of going back to work. The stress of looking after Dad, doing the probate and dealing with stroppy relatives was getting to me, until I stumbled on Jakes cover of 'My guitar gently weeps' and well that was me hooked, then I saw The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britian and haven't laughed so much in years.. Anyway I ended up finding there was a local group, so I got my first Ukulele and here I am. Just one month into playing and loving every minute of it and yes I've called my Uke 'Serenity' - very apt don't you think!

So happy to hear you have been "saved by the Uke" as well. It is such a joyful, and fun instrument ... we were hit in the heart by the same Jake cover of "My Guitar Gently Weeps" ... how cool. I wonder how many others have had the same experience.

Thanks for mentioning The Ukulele Orchestra of GB ... I haven't spent a lot of time watching their videos and will as I too like a good laugh.

I think Serenity is a wonderful name, and all the best on this journey. May your Uke and companionship from your local group bring you peace, joy and laughter.

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading your post. I'm only 995 posts behind you.

You are welcome Ron, welcome aboard and there is no rush to get to 1,000 ... my friend DownUpDave hit it a long time ago before me. I look forward to reading your posts as well.

Beautiful sentiments, Simon. There goes the speech for my upcoming 500th Post. Would anybody notice if I lifted a few lines?

You are there for me when I need advice and I thank you.

UKE ON.

Nice post. I like those precious moments in life when unexpected new things bring significant change.

I never would have imagined that I would go to Berlin (3 times) or the Netherlands to hang around other ukulele players. The ukulele is a very social instrument.

Petey

Petey ... from Ottawa ... it is so cold up there in the winter! Must humidify for sure! Thank you for your comment, and I agree with you .... very cool to travel to Berlin to hang around and play the Ukes ... maybe Dave and I will do a road trip to come up to Ottawa and hang out in Bytown Market and put a hand down to play for beer/coffee money.

I have enjoyed your YouTube videos ... very instructional and entertaining!

Top Bottom