ukulele marketplace

How would the ads get bumped to the top of the active board, then?

Sorry brother, ridiculous idea. The board would cease to be functional if that were the case.

The questions and replies provide a lot of brand/model information, even if one does not plan to acquire this particular instrument. Based on reading a string of comments, have actually decided a couple times to make a deal for the particular instrument.

Sorry brother, ridiculous idea. The board would cease to be functional if that were the case.

I think not.....I see a lot of useless replies and pirating of the threads.
Only the original poster would have privileges of adding to the ads and bumping it up. Interested parties would PM or email questions to the seller. It works well on other sites that have classifieds.
Let's not attack a suggestion by calling it ridiculous otherwise you may as well remove "Site Suggestions" from the UU

Let's not attack a suggestion by calling it ridiculous otherwise you may as well remove "Site Suggestions" from the UU
That's ridiculous!
But seriously, the discussions around a sale ad are useful and educational. OK, sometimes they go off on a tangent, but on the whole they are worth it.

I think not.....I see a lot of useless replies and pirating of the threads.
Only the original poster would have privileges of adding to the ads and bumping it up. Interested parties would PM or email questions to the seller. It works well on other sites that have classifieds.

I apologise if I offended you, it wasn't my intention to do so. Just a direct reply with my usual lack of subtlety. Good luck with it though...you never know what the powers that be might be willing to do. I maintain it would alter the whole community aspect of that board, frustrating tyre-kickers et al notwithstanding.

I apologise if I offended you, it wasn't my intention to do so. Just a direct reply with my usual lack of subtlety. Good luck with it though...you never know what the powers that be might be willing to do. I maintain it would alter the whole community aspect of that board, frustrating tyre-kickers et al notwithstanding.
OK I've changed my mind. I am the ridiculous one. Reading the latest "has anyone got an MB" thread and seeing all the views and inane responses has convinced me. I take it all back. Time to ban comments on the marketplace. :p

Hippie.

You are an admirable man in my estimation. Thank you for being so kind and apologetic. I admit I was a wee bit offended and accept your apology. Ukulele lovers are passionate about UU and I was not trying to stir up anger but making a suggestion for good but it appears I'm in the minority on this topic.

Phil

I find the comments being enabled are really helpful actually. If I have a question I can ask on the thread and have it answered, leaving it open for other members to see instead of multiple members PMing the seller the same question. Also, like my latest WTB thread, I can see all the offers being made and people can chime in and discuss some good offers.

Against better judgement to post...
The marketplace is a good thing, that's why I log in. It's also a place where, to the outside eye, is rampant with shilling.

"hey, I'd buy that in a heartbeat if..."
"I've bought ukes from ___before, he's a great seller"
" OMG, I wish I hadn't just bought (insert) because I'd jump on that in a NY minute"
"Good night that is some serious eye candy"

All quotes are paraphrased, you get the idea. It's not helpful, and quite frankly, all the gushing over the seller OR the object sold is sorta creepy. Yes, fanboys, you aren't helping.

Well, that's my contribution to the marketplace dialogue. I much prefer fleamarketmusic.com for classified reality, but the photos are usually better here.

Neal,

It's exactly those comments you refer to that I wanted to bring attention to. Thank you! There is one member who shall remain un-named that jumps in on just about every ad and has racked up many posts which makes this person appear to be an important contributor. I wonder if this person is paid to hype up the instrument so someone will quickly buy it. Just wondering..

Thanks for your helpful comments!

Last edited:
The burger king generation always wants it their way!

Don't like the comments or replies really simple fix! STOP reading after the first post... eh?

:)

Sorry a nerve was touched, Al. As always, feel free to comment on those awesome axes and sellers in the marketplace, it ain't agin the rules. My post was simply an observation in an on-topic discussion regarding the marketplace and the lack of sincere moderation.

And while you're correct, in a sense, to "stop reading after the first post", in practice that's as easy as not slowing down for an accident on the freeway. But for me, I'll try.

BTW, who is this "Burger King" generation? Honestly never heard that put-down before.

The "problem" (if indeed you see it as such) is that the board has evolved into a community share and discussion type thing. Frequenters of it generally are repeat offenders, both sell and buy often, and come to know each other. I don't feel praise of instruments is disingenuous, but sure, friends stick together and support each other with boosting type posts.

As a frequent seller myself the inane comments that wipe my listing off the board do drive me insane. For example, the recent "WTB: Moore Bettah"" thread...for 48 hours the marketplace was full of "good luck" posts which kept genuine listings off the map and none had any substance. That sort of tyrekicking does irk me, no doubt.

When you refer to "sincere" moderation lacking, you you explain further what you mean please Neal? We do our best but one can't institute a police state with the current rules existing as they do.

Interesting discussion fellas, thanks. It's certainly made me think about the issue more deeply.The one problem I see with disabling members comments on that board is the sort of conduct by sellers that will or won't be considered fair or otherwise. For example, when is it a reasonable and appropriate time to bump? I see problems and rivalries potentially developing between sellers that may be just as problematic as the current situation. Thoughts?

I, personally, don't mind the "Id buy that if it was only a tenor" comments, and learn from many of the other comments from prior owners of that model, etc. As seems typically the case, I agree with Ink Al: don't read beyond the ad itself if one wishes that there were no comments. It's elementary, really.

As many UUers know, a Flea Market-style marketplace was tried by UU; there was a photos and ads, without comments, option on UU for selling in 2013-2014. The Uke Underground Panjo marketplace.

It went over like ants at a summer picnic.

Last edited:
Honestly if the issue is people just trying to up their post count, just enable it to where posts in the marketplace section do not contribute towards your posts. Or even make a rule where any comments unnecessary are disallowed.

Hippie, the sort of moderation that would eliminate the appearance of "the shill". I find it a bit difficult to believe that you are in the dark as to what I'm getting at. Simply stop the "wow" posts and the "I vouch for" posts. Sure, folks are able to discuss, and still compliment as well as banter, and for those that have no clue as to the sort of posting going on, then this post is moot, and I say carry on. No harm, no foul, and best of shopping to you

Some members posting here are part of the issue. Folks seem to think shilling for another member somehow ingratiates that member. It does not, it only makes the shill poster look like...welll, a shill, and causes a potential purchaser to think twice.

Last edited:
Honestly if the issue is people just trying to up their post count, just enable it to where posts in the marketplace section do not contribute towards your posts. Or even make a rule where any comments unnecessary are disallowed.

Personally, I don't believe anyone bothers to use the marketplace to 'up their post count'. That's like trying to clean a skyscraper with a toothbrush. If you wanna do that you go on the General Discussion board and play the word games, or you join the Po-Ho's.

Hippie, the sort of moderation that would eliminate the appearance of "the shill". I find it a bit difficult to believe that you are in the dark as to what I'm getting at. Simply stop the "wow" posts and the "I vouch for" posts. Sure, folks are able to discuss, and still compliment as well as banter, and for those that have no clue as to the sort of posting going on, then this post is moot, and I say carry on. No harm, no foul, and best of shopping to you.

That wasn't my point, Neal. Didn't my post above make it obvious I understood what you were getting at? I just wanted you to clarify what you meant by "insincere moderation".

Top Bottom