my polk-a-lay-lee

sukie

Aloha
UU VIP
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys can help, but I have questions. What is the safest way to get plastic tuning pegs out of their slots? I bought a polk-a-lay-lee this weekend and of course the strings need to be re-done. I'm rather afraid to touch anything, but it looks to me as if the plastic pegs are pretty well stuck. The uke looks like it's been in an attic or garage for years -- not that it really matters. Is there a product I could spray at the peg holes that won't ruin the wood? Would tapping with a rubber mallet be better?

I'm not sure the uke has much value -- other than for parts -- but can I use guitar polish or anything on it to help the wood or will I compromise anything -- sound or value -- by doing so?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sukie

perhaps putting ice on the pegs - and not the wood of the headstock - would cause some shrinkage in the pegs.

Other than that, I can only think of tapping the pegs with a hammer - but use a rubber mallet or have a block of wood between the hammer and the pegs.

And good luck!

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not sure about the cherry bomb -- I already have a pick up -- but I'll try the other things and see what happens.

will you make a video with it...im really interested in hearing it

Before you wiggle them out with pliers, place a drop of mineral oil around the base of each peg and let it seep in the joint for a few minutes before trying to remove.

Top Bottom