Season 184 - Instrumentals

Instrumental duet with my wife on the bari and I play the tenor. Some early music, originaly a lute duet from the XVIth century. Transcription for uke by Pascale Boquet from the French Lute Society.

Saw Jez Quayle cover this earlier this week and I had to learn it despite the pain in my arm when strumming. This is the first time strumming my usual way in at least two months so I had to do this with minimal practice. Still came out well. I also still can't sing while doing a calypso strum so this fit the instrumental week perfectly for me. Also my brother getting sick changed my tournament plans so it freed up time to play more!

here is a link to Jez's awesome cover: http://youtu.be/vixDgx-2fO8

Last edited:
Last piece of Self Indulgence from me for this week......

" Somewhere Over The Light Refracting Water Droplets Making "Oooh Pretty Colours" In The Sky Thingy. "

(The Title was Too Long For Google)

Now off to catch up on all the other Vids...Brilliant Week Randy Harry....

oooer ...that might not mean the same over there as it does over here
f'narr f'narr............

More terrific music today!

Hippie Dribble bruny island breakdown Ya-hoo! That was fun!

Hippie Dribble nice work if you can get it Still a great song!

UkeFoote Fleffikon "Hedwig's Theme" by John Williams Wow, I really like this performance! Although I saw the movies (dragged by my wife!) I can't say I was familiar with the song. Very creepy, halloweeny vibe there!

thesillydave don't get around much anymore Love it! Great song, great performance! The "silly" didn't fall far from the tree, huh?

bird's eye view of my ukelele psychedelic-strumental Psychedelic indeed! Love it!

Ukeval A Dump - Lute duet on Ukuleles I am so thankful for your contributions this week. Lovely performance, and you have given me the opportunity to discover some beautiful music that I've never heard before. Thank you.

Jazzbanjorex Entrance of the Gladiators Yay! Love the song, love your delivery! I'm a little disappointed that there wasn't a circus hat, though.

Jazzbanjorex Itsy Bitsy Spider Call me a kiddie, I love it too!

Jazzbanjorex Apple Blossom Time Very pretty!

Jazzbanjorex Lean On Me Wow, great performance! Thanks!!

ohmless Half the World Away So sorry about the arm pain, but I love love love this entry! Great job!

peewee Cluck Old Hen Very sweet! Great false start, too!

CeeJay SOTLRWDMOPCITST… Nice. I can imagine you and a small combo playing this in a cosy coffee shop, great stuff!

bonesigh Paris Nocturn Very pretty.

bonesigh Tonight you belong to me This is the first song I learned on the uke. I chose it because of "The Jerk." I still can't pick like you! Love your playing and humming!

bonesigh G Whizz That is just lovely! The fast version made my head swim! Awesome.

bonesigh Kawika So nice, great island song, terrific playing!

bonesigh Close to you Pretty song. It looks like you had a great day!

Ah, well - Though I haven't touched my harmonicas in months, I couldn't resist gettin' a bit of blues harp & uke into the deal...

Last edited:
Leo Kottke described Duane Allman's Little Martha as 'the greatest guitar song ever written'. This is my uke arrangement of it.

Well I didn't make it to my goal of seven this week. I sure tried. Lots of tape on the cutting room floor. Here is my fifth and final entry.

Last one from me - *Randy lets out huge sigh of relief* - Couldn't let this week go past without doing one of my favourite melodies ever from my greatest musical hero. Thanks for an inspiring week Randy and well done for staying on top of what has been an enormous volume of entries (notwithstanding the baker's dozen from me).

The factory strings are terrible. Put some good fluorocarbons on there before you make a final decision.

I just put a set of low-G Fremont Black Line fluorocarbons on my Epiphone, and so far I love it. In any case, it is much improved.

(Had to have Sam Ash widen the slot to fit the low G ... Fremont make a high-G set as well, but I really like the low-G. Flea has 'em now too (same string set). I am a happy ukey girl.)

Martins would probably work too, at half the price ... but they are clear ... and the Epi looks best with black strings. Maintains the coolness factor of the Les Paul electric mini-guitar look.

Jessica - Allman Brothers Band - by 9-year-old Lukas

Still working on my own entry this Season - busy week! In the meantime, though, I thought you'd find this impromptu entry by new Seaonista Lukas as delightful as I did.

I met my friend Lukas last year at Uke New Jersey Too! ... and he amazed me with his uke prowess and can-do spirit. This year we sat together again, front and center at the first morning workshop, eagerly waiting for L'il Rev to teach us some rolls and triplets.

Lukas, just turned 9, turned to me and asked, "Do you know 'Jessica'?" When I looked blank, "By the Allman Brothers?", he added. I did not know the song by name, but of course the moment he launched into it I recognized it immediately.

It is of course an instrumental, so later in the day I convinced a reluctant Lukas to allow me to video him playing the song. He didn't have a uke on him, so we borrowed one from Funky Frets in the vendor area, who kindly allowed us to take it outside.

And then he did this:

Next week I hope to help Lukas and his dad get him up in the Seasons on his own UU account and YouTube channel, but for today, in the interests of time, I'm posting it for him.

And then Tommy and I are off to the Morristown Uke Jam on the Morristown Green to play some more ukes with MarcoD, Booli, and the rest.

(PS, those are Tommy's knees at lower left ... and his uke case on the table.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom