Season 184 - Instrumentals

Hold on to your hats! The cute factor is going way up in here.

What a fun weekend I had recording a song that has been kicking around for a bit that I have been working on. I had the main part written for a while but just laid down the melody stuff after I put down the main track. Then I spent the day making this super fun video with my daughter based on her current favorite book - How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack. Special thanks to my wife for her patience while we did this. Also want to thank Indigo for her superb acting and writing talents. This was created by both of us.

Season 184 and Randy wants Shtumm....no loose lips...no gum bumping ...nix with lyrics
and definitely no singing ....
okayyyyyyyyy...here's what we got ....
a sorta reprise of Summertime ....

A year ago July, I was waiting for Pueo at the Ala Moana parking lot to meet up for a collaboration. While passing the time, I stumbled into the beginning of this arrangement. I never took it too far, but I just got a new uke which is so easy to play that I did more of the arrangement. It's still not the full piece, but you get the idea.

A half-century old! And (echoing Ralf) it felt like it took me that long to do it THIS shakily!

As you all know, I hate doing instrumentals. :drool:

Two Gershwins in a row! How cool is that!?

ohmless Moon River Nicely done!

bonesoup The Four Seasons: Spring Vivaldi! You nailed it - excellent!

Dougf Don't Get Around Much Anymore Now that's the way it's done! Great standard, and you nailed it!

IamNoMan Alabama Jubilee I've loved this song since I first heard it on Leon Redbone's Champagne Charlie album.

dirtiestkidever Magnolia Mourning Boy, that was fun! You are quite skilled on that uke, you know!

AlanDP This is Where She Dreamed I like this song a lot, well done! The melodica always sounds "old world" to me, with an attack similar to a button accordion. Anyway, great job!

pabrizzer Claudia's Theme Very pretty song. I love how the second instrument comes in, it's like a flower unfolding.

bird's eye view of my ukelele harlesden rhapsody Okay, this was interesting! Absolutely a good thing! It is a vivid and enjoyable musical representation of a slice of life, and your execution was flawless! Like I said, interesting! :)

29moons The Gnomes are in the (Tall Grass) The song is excellent, and the video is wonderful. Indigo is indeed a terrific actor!

CeeJay Sorta Summertime an improvisation Oh boy, I like this a lot! A jazz improv riff on Gershwin! Nice!

greenie44 Rhapsody In Blue Wow! Great adaptation of this classic! I could never do that! Thanks for bringing it!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters Sakura Just beautiful, and a brilliant addition to the Season!

hendulele Name that TV theme My favorite TV show!

jagcorps Kiss from a rose Beautiful tune, beautifully played!

Last edited:
My dad posted a comment on Facebook about how Lera Lynn was his new favorite singer. I watched this song she did for a TV show and I liked the dark waltz feel and thought the melody line would be easy to play as an instrumental. It came together nicely in one day. Here's "My Least Favorite Life" I posted the lyrics and chords on Facebook.

Last edited:
At Whitby Folk Week yesterday and today. Spent much of yesterday in tune sessions. Unfortunately, two reeds in one of my G harps went - bummer. Fortunately I had a spare and the reed plates are replaceable. I'm at home tomorrow so might be able to get something done then back in Whitby on Wednesday. Have some ideas for later in the week so I hope to have something interesting then.

Looking forward to listening to some of your contributions.

traffic jam! ( contains disgusting chewing sound )

Thanks Randy for hosting! I don't know how to play nice melodies. So I tried this. The airplane sound was recorded 2 weeks ago. It can be frustrating for me to record stuff cuz, like Lynda, I live in a crazy neighbourhood. There isn't a cockerel crowing all day long but, I would rather a dozen cockerel than 1 airplane.

Hope you all have a fun week! :music:

By me :
drawing;
tenor uke plucking;
soprano uke plucking;
fake car horn made on my little nephew's toy keyboard;
chewing imaginary food;
faked burping sound.

Not by me :
karung guni honking his horn( at the beginning);
sound of airplanes flying past;
real car horn.

The Karung guni man is the modern form of rag and bone men, common in Singapore's residential estates.

Last edited:
Cool theme, I kinda prefer Instrumentals 'cos my bad singing always pulls down my uke playing.......I think us non singers have to push that little bit harder with their playing to compensate the vocals.

I've been pushed for time for weeks now with other commitments but this kinda noodling is one of my favourite things to do in the spare minutes I do get, just randomly picking around some Jazz chords this morning (I'll try to get in a proper entry during the week)

Last edited:
This is a long term project song I have been working on(and clearly need a bit more time with to perfect). I tried about 15 takes and my first was the best one.

Top Bottom