Low Tension Strings?

JackLuis

Reaction score
I have a Caramel concert that came with Aquila strings on it but I wanted to try some 'softer' strings. It seems to like D'Adario Carbons, low G, Tenors but these were used so I took them off and put on GHS H-20's which are 'high tension' strings. ( I should'a read the package better!) :(

The GHS H-20 are like playing blades of glass, hard on the fingers and don't sound all that good on this Caramel zebra wood concert.
I want to try a lower tension softer string set in Low G on it as it is nice an mellow sounding.

SInce D'Adario doesn't offer a Low G set for concerts, I'm wondering what other strings might work?

Any suggestions?

I haven't heard of Oasis before. I'm a nube, of course. Should I try the "Warm" set first? I want the uke to sound softer than my Ohana spruce top with Aquila's.

Hi Jack, I can tell you that the Oasis strings are not high tension and they are quite comfortable to play. If your ukulele is very bright, maybe the Warms are the way to go. It's really hard to say until you try them on your particular uke. You could always try both and see how they compare, a spare set of strings might be handy.

Hi Jack, I can tell you that the Oasis strings are not high tension and they are quite comfortable to play. If your ukulele is very bright, maybe the Warms are the way to go. It's really hard to say until you try them on your particular uke. You could always try both and see how they compare, a spare set of strings might be handy.

Wow, double length strings for under 10 bucks.
I know what my next string purchase will be. I have a bit of SAS going on, I love trying out new strings. Some work, some don't. But it is a heck'of'a lot cheaper than buying a new uke. Although, buying a new uke is always a nice thing. =)
Thanks Campbell

I am a huge Southcoast fan! Dirk has several different string sets to choose from of varying tension and sound. His site is a wealth of knowledge and if you ever have a question about any of it he is just an email away.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/string sets.htm

Southcoast is a good way to go, with their tension charts and "soft" versions of the strings. I have some Worth BLs in the mail, and I'm curious to see how they compare to the BMs. I definitely prefer a lower tension myself.

Love Southcoast strings, and the Oasis lights on my Kamaka soprano.

I shall try Oasis lights Low G. I hope they play as well (feel wise) as the D'adarrio Carbons. I like the carbons on my tenor but I am playing the custom extruded now and they are nice too.

The GHS H-20's don't feel so stiff this morning, and almost in tune. I just needed to sharpen them a few cents. The sound is uneven across the strings and very soft volume. Though I can't tell if that is from the strings or the Zebra wood?

The GHS seem to 'bark' when strummed. Perhaps it is the Uke and not the strings?

I'm relatively new as well but I've looked thru some other posts on this topic before and found a lot of people who like Living Water strings for "warming" or "softening" the sound. They are available at Uke Republic. I have ordered some but haven't yet had a chance to put them on.
Strings are affordable enough (relative to instruments) you should get a few types and try them all. You may love what others don't like.

I gave up on the GHS's. I had to pull the carbons out of the trash this morning and put them back on my concert. It sounds and plays much better, except the G string is a little too big and has intonation problems, but not enough to keep me off it. :D

I've got to run up to my local to get some strap buttons installed, I see if the Oasis are available locally, if not I use the links you helpfully provided.
Thanks UU!

just keep your strings if they aren't trashed. Many months if not years later you may want to put them back on for a quick check when you next change strings. By that time you might like them.

just keep your strings if they aren't trashed. Many months if not years later you may want to put them back on for a quick check when you next change strings. By that time you might like them.

I deep sixed the GHS's. They need too much tension for me. I do keep the Aquila's that came with my Ukes, I may need them for my Ohona.
The D'Adarrio Carbons are a bit 'floppy' on the concert, but as the set up and stay in tune they offer much more character to this Zebra wood Lam than the GHSs which I found very weak in volume when finger strummed.

I'm hoping the Oasis FC's which are thinner will improve the intonation problems.

My personal favorite for playing comfort are Aquila Reds - they just feel easier on the fingers than most of what I've played. There sound is decent to my ear, but I love playing them for the feel.

Although - I don't think you can go far wrong with Oasis - they're my current favorite strings for sound, and my flea and Clara both have Oasis on them.

My personal favorite for playing comfort are Aquila Reds - they just feel easier on the fingers than most of what I've played. There sound is decent to my ear, but I love playing them for the feel.

Although - I don't think you can go far wrong with Oasis - they're my current favorite strings for sound, and my flea and Clara both have Oasis on them.

I tried the reds on my tenor. I liked the feel and sound of them but they only lasted about two weeks and the G broke, then the A broke. I like more stable strings, though maybe I just got a dud set?

I'll also add my props for the Southcoasts, probably the mediums or medium lights. I have Worth Clears on my Collings tenor and the uke is a high tension player. I have to tune it down a half or full step for it to be comfortable and bendy, and I usually like Worths. (The Brown Lghts are great!) I am playing steel string guitars that are more comfortable than my Collings tuned to C. So I ordered the Southcoasts a couple days ago, I was out. I have some Oasis that came with the roadtrip Clara but I played it without them, so maybe I will try those. Reds do seem to break easy.

To illustrate Teeks point I have Worth CT on a Mya Moe tenor and South Coast mediums on a Collings tenor. The SC do have noticeably less tension.

I found Phd's at my local shop, but no Oasis. I put a set of Phd Low G on and find that some chords (A7 & D7) have really boomy base notes on this Zebra wood Concert. :eek:

I'll leave them on for while and see if it clears up with playing.

THe Phd's are not as floppy as the D'A carbons were and seem to be 'better' but too soon to tell.

Maybe I should have gotten the Worth's? Or, perhaps go back to Hi G's?

i tried the phd set with unwound low-g. i didn't like the low-g much either. oasis has a wound low-g on their set.

Top Bottom