My reality check with the Phil Jones Double Four.

Very good, I always appreciate useful modifications. I majored in architecture in college in the late sixties and even though I dropped out after three years to go into show business, this is my way of keeping my hands in it. The leader of my group calls me a problem solver, but I like call it efficiency expert.

Last edited:
More info on the Carvin amp; with the fact that a second 8 ohm speaker will get the amp to 250 watts, and that I'm seeing so many rigs with two speakers, and that Carvin is having a sale, today I ordered a 115MBE with a neo speaker for $308.53 out the door. If I thought the single 15" speaker was going to be really good, I feel that the dual speaker should be terrific. Should receive it with a couple of weeks.

Can't beat the price. Not sure I get how two speakers is going to help a bass. Or how it's going to solve your group not letting you turn it up...

I didn't say I couldn't turn it up, it's that I couldn't plug into a PA at the venue. The two speakers will bring the amp to it's maximum power, 250 watts, and the more air moved by the speakers, the better the sound. My other amps don't have the ability to be loud enough in an outdoor larger setting, that's the main reason I went with this Carvin system, but the second speaker will only be for a really large venue. I bought it more for the price while it was on sale. Most of the time I'll use the Phil Jones for indoor smaller gigs, the Carvin amp for larger outdoor gigs, and the amp with second speaker for those occasional big gigs.

Last edited:
You should also get an svt so you can do your uke tribute to heavy metal!

I received the amp and external speaker earlier, wow do they sound good, but the gig on the 26th will be the real test. The amp with neo speaker and my Sony wireless receiver weighs 25 lbs. The external unit weighs 22.8 lbs. The amp fits perfectly in my cart, and even stacked, they can be carted around.

Carvin rig and me.jpg

Last edited:
Dang that looks really good Mike. This is for outdoor venues and the D4 for practice and small indoor gigs? Getting my preamp tomorrow so will finally find out if the passive pickup is any good.

Dang that looks really good Mike. This is for outdoor venues and the D4 for practice and small indoor gigs? Getting my preamp tomorrow so will finally find out if the passive pickup is any good.

Yes Pat. I've been using the D4 in our rehearsal room, which is on the larger side with about 30 players and the leader patched into a Fishman Loudbox mini (60 watts) with mic too, the D4 does very well, as well as small gigs coming up.

The bass I have uses a piezo pickup. For the Double4, the impedance should be on the high switch. By using a preamp to boost the gain, would the setting still be set for hi imped. or down to low because of the preamp ampimg more gain. There's more volume on the high. Clarity is the same or close to it.

The bass I have uses a piezo pickup. For the Double4, the impedance should be on the high switch. By using a preamp to boost the gain, would the setting still be set for hi imped. or down to low because of the preamp ampimg more gain. There's more volume on the high. Clarity is the same or close to it.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter. The switch acts much like a dB pad does on other amps, so used in conjunction with the input level knob, you can do whatever sounds best to you and doesn't clip the signal. I usually keep it at the HIGH setting for all my instruments; active, passive or using a preamp to boost the signal.

The only instrument I use the LOW setting on is my NS Design Electric-Upright Bass, because that bass has such a hot signal (the onboard pre is 18v), it'll clip it at really low levels. That bass is also the only one I don't keep the onboard volume at 100%, because it's such a hot signal.

Thanks Jon. I thought so but wanted clarification. So much to learn with this new toy but sure am enjoying hearing the bass as it should be heard. I'll post a sound sample when I figure out how to do one of how it sound with/out the preamp. I really like the Mogami cables.

Top Bottom